ReefCleaners.org

Coquina clam

Piro

I picked up some Coquina clam at the coast yesterday. I thought it would be cool to put a few in my pico for some more biodiversity. Is there any reason whey they won't survive in a reef enviornment?

Yeah, they are not photosynthetic....You will have to feed them or just like a flame scallop they will die.

what are their feeding requirements? I couldn't find much on the web about them other than their migratory habits...

You will need to feed something like phytoplankton. It is difficult to keep flame scallops (and possibly your clam) because the daily feedings they need can also cause an overload of nutrients.

You are going to need a powerful skimmer to suck up all the excess from the water column and some very good and regularly changed carbon as well. Otherwise you are going to have a big problem with No3 No4 etc.

UH

eh - it doesn't seem like its worth it. I don't even get to look at em cause they bury themselves. Out they go!

thanks everyone for the info :D

cool looking for sure. if you keep them keep us posted. i have always heard they are hard to keep, so I never tried.

I decided not to keep them. But if you want, I can bag a few and send em to ya next time I visit the coast.

Archived