SaltCritters.com

Monti Cap experiment

Chrissy

glennr1978

pretty cool. i've got something similar going on in my tank with an idaho grape, orange, and purple monti. i tried to get my leng sy into the mix, but for some reason i suck at keep just about any green cap. it has just browned out and doesn't really grow much while the others are doing great.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do some supernatural, pokerstar, rainbow, sunset etc etc together :) I want to try that.

Wouldn't work. The fastest growing one would grow over the others.

Since the caps don't grow that way, they work well.

Wouldn't work. The fastest growing one would grow over the others.

Since the caps don't grow that way, they work well.

I bet you'd be wrong.

Maybe if they all were encrusting montis and no caps. The growth rate of caps is too fast and they would cover the pokerstar, Good idea though!

I'll have to get a few other colors first! LOL

The red is definitely the fastest growing...I have frags of the stuff covering my tank. I'd like to try that checker one with green and purple! I like the way it looks. What are some other faster growing caps?

It looks like those purples grow a lot faster than the one I have. I think mine is an Idaho grape? Is there a different faster growing purple?

lakshwadeep

Nice pics you got there, medred. I'm getting some frags from the owner of those corals (I think it's the august 2008 TOTM on reefkeeping). The purple one (at least in the top two photos) in medred's pics is listed as a "LE Idaho Grape". Hopefully It will do well under my T5s.

Someone should make and sell some combined colonies. They are natural looking enough after they've grown in. Those purples do look like they grow really quickly. You can tell the greens are the slowest.

This is a couple shots of a friend's caps....he has them in a custom 180 low....

Top view....

randyscaptopview.jpg

Side view....

randyscapsideview.jpg

This is the most amazing example I've seen....

Weak.

If you had like a square rock, you could place it like a diamond and have one of each grow up the sides and collide in the middle. Might look cool.

• 11 months later...

On your posts, you include a photo of a tank with a Royal Gramma and some blue/purple clams. Is this your tank? It is absolutely beautiful and what I hope to end up with someday. Currently, I have a 24G Nanocube, about 2 years old with 15k metal halide lighting. I got a starfish that ate everything, just got rid of him finally, so I've just started back on reef-I just bought a small frogspawn, small hammerhead and next am going to get some anenomes. I'm iandyer@cox.net.

Archived