Coral Vue Hydros

Monti Cap experiment

Chrissy

AcroporaLokani
Thanks :) Now I'm going to be on the look out for different colored larger pieces so I can do different color combos.

Sounds nice. I never can seem to find large pieces of monti cap for sale.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds nice. I never can seem to find large pieces of monti cap for sale.

Do you have a local reef board or club? These guys around here give me amazing deals!

AcroporaLokani
Do you have a local reef board or club? These guys around here give me amazing deals!

No there is only one fish store within 500 miles from me and the owner only knows of two people who even keep coral (me being one of them, and the other guy only has soft corals) the fish store doesn't even stock coral so I'm not to sure if there is one around me. I live in the middle of nowhere and not many people here have even heard of the word "acropora" or "montipora". I wish I had a reef club willing to sell me SPS for a good deal but I end up having to order my coral from online.

I think the coolest I've seen is a TOTM on RC that had green/purple/orange and then in the purple a blue acro coming through it. That's just awesome how these corals can do that and still live.

fierceseaman

I actually bought a piece like this from a local store that I had in my previous tank. It was green, orange, and purple and looked amazing. It was the highlight of my tank, until I found out that it was infested with nudis. To top it all off, the store had glued it to rock ruble and it was impossible to find and scrape away all the nubis... the beautiful piece died.

cool project chrissy. i was thinking of doing something slightly similar with candy canes. it could be neat but i have a feeling it will be more complicated.

cool project chrissy. i was thinking of doing something slightly similar with candy canes. it could be neat but i have a feeling it will be more complicated.

LOL I'm trying a candycane one, too. That one is only 2 heads of purple cc and two heads of green cc right now, though...so nothing great!

LOL I'm trying a candycane one, too. That one is only 2 heads of purple cc and two heads of green cc right now, though...so nothing great!

thats an awesome idea... I might have to do that as well!

gotta wait for em to grow out first though, lol

Chrissy you just gave me a new marketing strategy :lol:

Tank you vetty much !

:D

:lol:

No prob, Prop!

Here are the 2 week growth pics...nothing super exciting, but they are all healthy and growing a tiny bit :D

The purple definitely grows the slowest.

post-35886-1220639587_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1220639596_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1220639616_thumb.jpg

I actually tried the same thing last night when I got my green/purple rimmed monti. I already had an orange monti frag mounted on LR, and I glue the two pieces of green monti on either side of the orange to see what would happen. Definitely keep us updated!

Oh yes.. Purple cap grows slow. So does red metallic.

Green and orange or brown take off like rockets though. LOL!

LOL Yep...the green is taking off like a rocket, leaving the purple and red behind, although the red does grow faster than the purple. Hmmm...I thought these would all be bigger by now! Everyone is doing well, though!

• 2 weeks later...

probably best to keep slower growing ones together, unless you want green covering a purple... just to keep it in mind for future projects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Update on the Cap experiment!

Some died after my tank had a bad few months, but I have 2 of the frags that are still kicking. I lost some of the green/purple rim on the red,purple,and green/purple rim, so i had to break it off, but it's coming back!

Anyway, here are the new pics...

post-35886-1243827353_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1243827372_thumb.jpg

Archived