Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Monti Cap experiment

Chrissy

A few weeks ago, I took a small frag of green/purple rim monti cap and red monticap and glued them next to each other on a piece of LR rubble to try to get them to grow into each other. The red grows a little faster than the green, but they are growing together. So tonight, I took the frag out, and glued a piece of purple cap to it. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it grows out!

Has anyone done this before? Any pics? Thought it was a neat experiment, and will take pics as it grows.

post-35886-1219032865_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1219032874_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Avon Barksdale

I wondered about that before........Let me know how it turns out....Plus use this as a bump!!!!

Curious to see if others have tried this...

it is usually common to see this in larger tanks that have huge SPS colonies. check out the TOTM at RC i think they have a red and blue combo. It is quiet cool

My purple and green tend to sting eachother causing white spots. It happened once when the powerhead blew a purple piece onto my green frag and got 'burned' pretty bad.

it is usually common to see this in larger tanks that have huge SPS colonies. check out the TOTM at RC i think they have a red and blue combo. It is quiet cool

Thanks a bunch for that info...that one picture with all of those colors growing together looks amazing!

AcroporaLokani

Wow that frag will look awesome when it grows out. If you have extra monti cap you can frag up you should try to sell these on the livestock sales forums. They probably would sell fast since it is unusual to see something like this for sale.

Wow that frag will look awesome when it grows out. If you have extra monti cap you can frag up you should try to sell these on the livestock sales forums. They probably would sell fast since it is unusual to see something like this for sale.

Thanks AcroporaLokani! ....I'll see what I can do with my fraglets :D

Well, I took your suggestion and made up a couple more...

~ red - green/purple rim

~ larger red - purple - green/purple rim

~ red - purple - darker green

I'll edit this post with starter pics later on today.

Dont forget about me Chrissy......lol

Let me know how they turn out and I would definitely want a frag of that...

No problem..I'll keep updating here :)

I can never get the camera to show the true colors of Monti Caps...but here are the new frags :)

post-35886-1219435323_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1219435346_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1219435356_thumb.jpg

I can never get the camera to show the true colors of Monti Caps...but here are the new frags :)

Chrissy, that is the coolest idea ever. How much for one of those? I want one bad!

Chrissy, that is the coolest idea ever. How much for one of those? I want one bad!

Let me grow em out for a little bit to see how they come out and then I'll trade with ya!

The only problem with this, I can see, is if one of the montis eventually (and it could take quite some time) becomes stronger than the other and simply out-grows the other.

It's a cool method but I like my reef to look as natural as possible... although I'm sure something like this happens in the wild, I think several 'fused colonies' in a tank would look a little weird and I think the whole 'checkerboard' thing is downright tacky and unnatural.

Please... not to diss you Chrissy, it is very cool! ...just not my taste.

Keep us updated with pics. I'd love to see the progression of their growth together.

Avon Barksdale

Very Nice!!!!!!!

Its worth a try.....And I like the mix look alot...

Thanks for that link, basser1! I like seeing the before and after pictures! I do think the checker board one is a little tacky, but the TOTM guy's large ones are beautiful! I hope these ones grow to be that pretty!

:o Oh my what nice monti cap frags you have.

Thanks :) Now I'm going to be on the look out for different colored larger pieces so I can do different color combos.

Archived