Innovative Marine Aquariums

crocea clam in jbj

jaquesdp

Will my crocea clam live under the 72 watts of Pc lights that the jbj offer ? if i put him in the middle to top of the tank ?

Hell no it won't. Try reading the clam lighting requirements topic stickied at the top of this forum.

It most likely will not even if you put it at the top 10% of the tank. Crocea are the most difficult of the clam family to take care of followed by Maxima and both require greater than 72w PC lighting to thrive.

So, no clams at all that a stock light would provide?

or just the crocea's?

No clams that are Maxima or Crocea. You *MIGHT* be able to do a Derasa or the like but they get big.

No clams that are Maxima or Crocea. You *MIGHT* be able to do a Derasa or the like but they get big.

They will get far too large for your tank (they get HUGE) and will still probably suffer from the crappy stock lighting. Also, if you're keeping clams you're going to have to dose calcium because they use it up like crazy to build their shells.

They will get far too large for your tank (they get HUGE) and will still probably suffer from the crappy stock lighting. Also, if you're keeping clams you're going to have to dose calcium because they use it up like crazy to build their shells.

+1, i had a crocea in my 10gallon with 150w halide, and i watched the calcium just plummet every single day on my tests... makes a hell of a headache when it comes to maintaining stable water parameters.

Light is secondary to water quality IMO...you can have all the light in the world...but water quality is more important...that goes for anything...you don't want ANY clam nuking your tank...clams can be very sensitive...be careful! In a small tank...the results can be catastrophic!

-David

AcroporaLokani

If you want a clam just spend the money on metal halide lighting (or T5 but they are usually more expensive that metal halide).

It will save you money in the end since you wont have to replace your clam once or twice a month when it dies.

Archived