Innovative Marine Aquariums

MarineKeepers 12g nano adventure w/ pics!

marinekeeper

marinebiologist

sorry the light didnt work out for you

tank looks good, i really like all the mushies

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
marinekeeper
sorry the light didnt work out for you

tank looks good, i really like all the mushies

Thanks Bio, not sure why the light didnt work, but I know I acclimated it properly. My only guess is that I truley only have about 7 gallons of water in there because of all the water displacement and most of my corals dont need that intensity of light. I went ahead and ordered the 4.24 w conversion for this tank. Lets hope I have better luck with that setup. If I can't sell the light, I will just add it to my collection of reefing equipment and maybe use it in the future. I am looking for growth, but primarily want color. I will be running 3 50/50 bulbs and 1 pure actinic.

• 2 weeks later...
marinekeeper

ok, the 4.24 upgrade was delivered and I did install it last night. I also ordered the upgraded fans and the R2 moonlight. Directions for the upgrade were less than spectacular to say the least, but enough information was provided to do the job with out making any mistakes. The one problem I do have with the upgrade is that 2 of my bulbs were coralife (t6 size) and the 2 lights from nano customs were t5 size.

This application requires 4 t5 sized bulbs or it just wont happen. Everything is so close and crammed, that not even 1 t6 will fit if running 4 bulbs. Right now I am only running 3 bulbs due to my problem, but have ordered 2 replacements from nanotuners. Although the directions blew, nick was more than willing to answer any questions. Not sure of the end results on the upgrade as I an only running the equivalent of the 3.24 upgrade and its been less than 24 hours. Will post pics soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, been a while since I updated anything due to the fact that my tank took a small turn for the worse with my meta halide upgrade. I since put that on the shelf and am now using the 4.24 upgrade from nano-tuners as previously stated. This upgrade been in for 2 mos or so and the tank is on the rebound. Below are some recent pics.

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

Not looking too bad!

• 5 weeks later...
love the colors in your tank!!! its making me wish i did black sand in mine!

Hey thanks, i just did a 6 gallon jbj and did black sand again. I think it looks really nice as I love the black sand. My next tank will be orange and white sand I think

• 3 weeks later...
fastandsneaky

your tank looks amazing. i love the growth and how nicely packed it is. another thing, is that the glass is remarkably clean.

your tank looks amazing. i love the growth and how nicely packed it is. another thing, is that the glass is remarkably clean.

Hey thank you, I am diligent on my weekly cleanings

• 2 weeks later...
2YearOldElegance
Thank you. Yeah, thats Levi. He was flown in from a breeder in Oklahoma. He just turned 10 weeks and is a ball of energy!

Newborn puppies on airplanes...uggghh

Newborn puppies on airplanes...uggghh

lol, unbelievable isnt it. pay all that money for a dog from an out of state breeder and they have the nerve to fly him here. They should have fedex'd ground shipped him :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
new pics coming soon

Tank looks brilliant!

Hows the upgrade? what fans have you added please? I am thinking about silenX pro 60mm. Don't want to run a chiller if I can help it.

pics, pics and more pics :):D

Tank looks brilliant!

Hows the upgrade? what fans have you added please? I am thinking about silenX pro 60mm. Don't want to run a chiller if I can help it.

pics, pics and more pics :):D

Love the upgrade. I did not choose to upgrade to the silent x fans though. I went with the standard fans that come with the upgrade. They are not too noisy and I do not hav any heat issues. Good luck if you do the upgrade. The instructions blow, but the company is excellent at answering any questions.

• 2 months later...
marinekeeper

Heres a few new pics. Things really havent been right since I started switching around the lighting. I been constantly dealing with algae, die off, low parameters and bunches of other things. Even though tank doesnt look anything like it used to, I still manage to find the drive to bring her back. I did switch salts from DD to IO reef crystals and feel that is part of my problem. The bad news is that I bought enough salt to make 750 gallons of water. Needless to say, I still have some left. I am in the process of raising magnesium right now, this should help with the fluctuation of the dkh and calcium. I also just added an airstone to the second chamber to help with gas exchange and my low ph. I am trying everything here people. Some corals, mainly my lps, look fantastic, everything else, not so much.

P5060062.jpg

P5060061.jpg

P5060061.jpg

I did get a new olympus tough 6020 waterproff camera, very happy bout that. Seems to take decent pics.

P5060063.jpg

• 3 months later...
marinekeeper

Well, after 6 mos of battling a down hill tank, I decided to rip it down and dry out my live rock. I think part of my problem was that I was trying to do too much with such a small tank. At some point, it seemed like my aquascape just turned into a pile rocks and much debris was getting trapped. I feel this and instant ocean reef crystals were the two major contributing factors to this tank rapidly declining.

I have since changed to Kent salt after much research and decided to redo my aquascape so it was no longer a pile of rocks. I kept it simple so trapped debris would not be an issue, I can clean all four sides conveniently and there was plenty of room for my favorite corals to grow. I decided to create another foam/rock structure and it goes a little something like this!

P8120080-3.jpg

P8120083.jpg

P8120082.jpg

P8120081-1.jpg

Hopefully, with these changes, I can once again have a nice tank. Time will tell...as it always does

• 4 months later...

enede up putting four of the new nanotuners.com uvl pc-r 24 watt lights in this thing. Lets hope it makes a difference in growth

Archived