SaltCritters.com

MarineKeepers 12g nano adventure w/ pics!

marinekeeper

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so the tank is moved and all seemed to go really well. I just took the top layers of rock/ attached corals out and put in buckets, along with roughly 8 gallons of water. My only problem was my GSP frag broke off the rock it was epoxied onto. No biggie, just re-aquamended it and all seems well.

After the tank was up and running for a few hours, I did my weekly 2 gallon water change.

Seems like a success!

Thanks for all the advice.

Oh yeah, the jaw fish didn't make it. When I went to move the tank the first time, I realized my return wasn't working. After fiurther inspection, the jawfish jumped into the third chamber with the return and was ground tail up. The maxi-900 was not strong enough to grind the head which is why my return wasn't working. The good news is that my pump did not burn up. Poor little guy, I really liked him.

• 1 month later...

Been a while, so here are some new updated pics. I added another 2+ lbs of rock, an orange acan, some nuclear greens, a 2 headed duncan and also did some coral re-arranging. All is well and the tank is holding it's own.

Enjoy!

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

Looking good and nice :happy: That gsp is in a cute shape. It reminds me someting from the flintstone :P

And imo, your scaping is even nicer than your previous.

Yes, if I upgrade anything, it will be my 35 gal hex FO tank. Just need a 250w MH for it and some LR.

Looking for a pendant DE 250 HQI lamp if anyone has one for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my emerald crab bit the dust today. I was looking at the tank and noticed a party of inverts in the corner. Sure enough, it was emeral crab snack time. Not sure why this happened, but I miss the lil guy already. :(

• 2 weeks later...

the same thing happened to my emeralds... I wasn't sad tho, they were real pests, they are like lil supermen or hulks in the tank. I had problems with mine getting inbetween rocks and pushing them over and knockin over my corals.

any new updates?

I take it the move went well.

if all goes well I'll be doing the same thing in a few months, but unfortunately I'll have to move 4 saltwater tanks and a fresh water tank...

Ian

There are a few new developments. I did replace the emerald grab and added some new zoa's and a bottlebrush acro. I only have 48 w of pc lighting, but since the acro is deep water, I figured I would try it and put it near the top of my tank. It is looking beautiful and has been in the tank for 3 weeks now. I will try and get some updated pics as things are really growing well.

There are a few new developments. I did replace the emerald grab and added some new zoa's and a bottlebrush acro. I only have 48 w of pc lighting, but since the acro is deep water, I figured I would try it and put it near the top of my tank. It is looking beautiful and has been in the tank for 3 weeks now. I will try and get some updated pics as things are really growing well.

Hi marinekeeper,

I love your tank and the way you did it with a minimal amount of mods and cost. I am looking to start my first tank and was leaning towards the 12 g nano cube dx. If you had to do it all over again with the same size tank and stock hood

, how would you set it up?

How would you setup the chambers?

what type/ how much sand and LR?

What CUC would be ideal?

Where would you buy from?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Hi marinekeeper,

I love your tank and the way you did it with a minimal amount of mods and cost. I am looking to start my first tank and was leaning towards the 12 g nano cube dx. If you had to do it all over again with the same size tank and stock hood

What CUC would be ideal?

Thanks in advance!

Beautiful tank!

Ken

Hi marinekeeper,

What CUC would be ideal?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

Ken, if I had it to do all over, the only thing I would have done diff is buy the 24g w/ the HQI light.

However, you suggested doing it all over w/ the 12 and stock hood, so there is nothing I would have done differently. This was my first reef tank and I did do my research and am pleased with the results.

As far as the chambers go, first chamber has the fine sponge, then chemipure elite then the coarse sponge.

2nd chamber is purigen and temp probe, 3rd chamber is return and heater. I wouldn't change anything there. Again, the only thing I would change is the size of the tank and the intensity of the light. Oh, as far as livestock goes, don't think I would have put shrooms in it either.

Thanks for the kind words,

Marinekeeper,

Those pics are amazing. I do have a couple questions... why did you glue the plug in the 4th pic? also why don't you like the shrooms? - is it because they spread too much. If so, would they spread if you glued them to a separate rock?

Thanks.

Ken

Marinekeeper,

Those pics are amazing. I do have a couple questions... why did you glue the plug in the 4th pic? also why don't you like the shrooms? - is it because they spread too much. If so, would they spread if you glued them to a separate rock?

Thanks.

Ken

Thanks, first time i ever really started to play with the camera. Not too bad I guess. I glued the frag down because i wanted it where it is and how else would it stay there? Eventually the coral will grow over the plug and you will not be able to tell it on a frag plug or glued. The shrooms, they spread too much and burn your other corals. Ever since my shrooms started to re-grow by my duncan, it hardly opens up to normal size.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, first time i ever really started to play with the camera. Not too bad I guess. I glued the frag down because i wanted it where it is and how else would it stay there? Eventually the coral will grow over the plug and you will not be able to tell it on a frag plug or glued. The shrooms, they spread too much and burn your other corals. Ever since my shrooms started to re-grow by my duncan, it hardly opens up to normal size.

Hey... any updates on your tank? what have you been up to?

• 1 month later...

Archived