Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

75g Humboldt Bay biotope...re-done!

Mynameskenny19

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mynameskenny19

SooOooooo........Another tank wouldnt hurt that much! lol

We now have 9 aquariums ranging from .5g to 75g.

Hey Lalani, youre smart....can I use lava rock as base rock for a reef tank? And seed it with a good couple chunks of live rock?

Thank you!

I wouldn't use lava rock parter for two reason first silica theres a lot in lava rock second iron and other heavy metals in the rock. i am starting a coldwater this winter it going o be a just a 40 breeder with a extra 1/5hp chiller i got laying around so wish me luck. have you got anything else new in your tank?

Mynameskenny19

Ok, thanks for the info guys! Damn, wish I could use it! I have around 1400 lbs of it by my house that we got for I think $20.

Scotty:

You have extra chillers??? Wow....just wow! Wish I could have extra chillers!

That sounds like it'll be a cool tank. What do you plan on stocking the tank with and your lighting???

And we do have some new critters such as our new elusive 11" bristle worm and around 20 wild-caught porcelain crabs! Hey, do you think I could sell these porceleain crabs to an LFS?? If so, I could so totally buy a bc28g with halide!!! Bad news though...If you look on page 4 or 5 or 6 and see the red rock crab, well the other night, he lost his claws somehow and then today he died. So i threw him out [literally] and I kinda want to replace him with another, but smaller say around 1.5" across. We're also going to try to catch a

penpoint gunnel this week in the bay with this trap i made earlier.

100_3580.jpg

Dont mind the crappy-ness of the build, but whatever, as long as it works!

More pics on Friday or if we get something new or if something cool happens. Oh yeah, we have 600 goldfish!

wow very cool yeah i have 3 chillers laying around they are all from my days in large reef tanks. some are better than others qulity and preformance wise. i have a 1/4hp pacific coast CL-650 ( i works ok but not great i wouldnt buy again) 1/3hp Current prime ( my favorite i have had this guy forever and its never quit but its a power monster) and a 1/5hp aqua logic cyclone drop in chiller that i am going to put on the coldwater setup. i got if for really cheap when a LFS closed down and i came off there show tank. A drop in chiller should be more efficiencent in a cold water set up than a inline.

As for the porcelain crabs you could try to sell the to your LFS but i am not sure if they will surive in a tropical tank or does your LFS have coldwater tanks?

Hey your trap doent look bad if it gets the job done

Mynameskenny19

Wow, is your electric bill pretty high at all when you run the chiller...any of them??? lol

And yeah, they have a coldwater tank. Im goinng to see if I can sell them anything today around 11:00 am when I get outta school. Oh yeah, forgot to tell you but we also got lots of hermits too! I have a place I can collect them by the 50's.

Mynameskenny19

Got 2 new anenomes!

But theyre going in my 29g AGA upstairs. Right now theyre chillin in the 75g waiting for me to setup the 29.

Any suggestions on aquascaping the 29? Canyon, 2 islands, more than 2 islands, 1 island, cave, trench???

Pics in a lil while!

Mynameskenny19

Ok, so I went collecting again and got me a bunch of LRR for my 29g and I also got another anenome.

So far I still need a good size filter, salt water, more liverock, substrate, and some more critters. Also need my wattage than 42w on a 29g tank! I decided on waiting to do a warmwater tank til i get a Biocube 29.

So right now Im going to to do another coldwater tank, but this one is going to be all MY IDEAS and not my dad's. You guys can still give suggestions and such, but my dad is too controlling on the tanks. :angry:

So, after I get the tank all setup which will be done in a week i guess, I'll start getting hermits and the 2 fish i want which are going to be the lil rockfish from our 75g.

Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Mynameskenny19

Bump?

anyhoo, we caught no more gunnels, live or dead. We're quitting collecting for the year and just gunna leave the tank as is for now till 09'.

Mynameskenny19

Ha! Didn't know anybody still read this thread! lol

Any certain pics you want??? I need suggestions cuz I've taken pics of pretty much everything of interest to me and...well......you see the point. Suggestions????

Anenomes

Sponges

Inverts

Fish

Rock Work

Flora

Unknown

Any of these sound good? PLEASE! I beg you! Please give me picture suggestions!!!! :o

Mynameskenny19

Set yourself up a tank like this then. Do you live on the coast or close to it? If no, I think it might be kind of hard to get ahold of certain things such as what we have in our tank.

You know, it took me about 3 weeks to convince my dad that he should setup a bay biotope tank and even more time just to talk him into saltwater! I finally got him to do so as long as he bought the tank and equipment and as long as I was allowed to pick the stuff that goes inside and the aquascaping, etc.

All in all, it turned out awesome! Just need more eel grass IMO.

Hey jamie, you wanna know where I got the "tunicate"? I always thought of it as a sponge thing, but guess I was wrong. Anyhoo, go to the bay and look about 6" to a foot down in the water on a dock and you'll probably see the orange stuff you want. If I could talk my dad into shipping and you think its ok, maybe I can ship you a large amount of "tunicates" to you?

Thanks for the comments guys! Any more specific suggestions??? I took a lot of pics of the anenomes because those are my favorite part of the tank!

After furhter research, i found out that that's not the exact one I want (but close), but thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, all the bays relatively near my house have too much freshwater flowing into them, so nothing of interest grows there, but I found one (Willapa bay) 2.5 hours away that reportedly has the tunicate I need. I've also read that it lives in Puget sound (at least 3 hours away, depending on where you go) and Coos bay (5 hrs away). So I'll get it eventually!

Mynameskenny19
Got a bunch of little rainbow perch off the North jetty on friday/sunday might be a cool addition.

Hwy Greenstar, where you live at? We're in Samoa. Oh and we've already had small perch like those, but they grow too fast in the tank and they are too active. So we let them go on full stomachs! lol

Let me know if you ever catch a small Monkey-faced Eel. Sorry for the slow reply.

Mynameskenny19

Haha, yeah I know! :lol:

Start up your own tank like I've been telling you for a while and get ya some of these anenomes!

Have you seen our big green ones? Oh and check out the ones in my 2.5

In my 2.5, I need some help identifying a couple anenomes, but I dont know if I can get them in the picture cuz they're so tiny! they are about the size of this >>>> o <<<<<<< and theyre white body with green dotted tentacles.

Archived