inTank Media Baskets

75g Humboldt Bay biotope...re-done!

Mynameskenny19

Mynameskenny19

Nope, we solved our idea with $19.99! Have you seen the picture of our fan? Well, we must be retarded[ed] because we found out after a couple days that the fan has a twist knob for hi-med-lo. De-de-dee moment number 71! lol But now we just keep the fan on medium with our hallway window open and it keeps our tank around 62.5 - 64 degrees F so far. We're still waiting for it to become winter cuz when that arrives, its going to get very cold at our house! But evap is bad!!!!!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow really? I tried fans, but they were small computer fans, barely kept it cool at all, but I didn't have it by a window.... maybe I'll try that in my dorm!

Mynameskenny19

Man, I used a big 14" fan and that puppy works good!!! Dont use a computer fan unless you have a small tank or unless you care about evaporation. Our tank water level goes down .75" a week.

fishez4alivin
New pics of new critters!!!

Fish

100_3429.jpg

100_3433.jpg

100_3435.jpg

100_3431.jpg

100_3437.jpg

100_3436.jpg

Crabs

100_3428.jpg

100_3432.jpg

Check em out and let me know what ya think!!!

This is cool, what is that fish? Is it a juvenile Olive Rockfish? I used to have a big FOwLR and had king salmon, cali halibut, ling cod, and a tiny Yelloweye rockfish, this was about 12 years ago. The halibut grew from 4" to 12" before I let him go. He was a vicious fish, he killed 2 other salmon before I got one big enough that he wouldnt mess with it.

nice new fish!! Yeah I had a small 2.5 and the computer fans didn't do much to be honest, I had two of them. although if it was near a window it probably would have worked better!

Mynameskenny19
This is cool, what is that fish? Is it a juvenile Olive Rockfish? I used to have a big FOwLR and had king salmon, cali halibut, ling cod, and a tiny Yelloweye rockfish, this was about 12 years ago. The halibut grew from 4" to 12" before I let him go. He was a vicious fish, he killed 2 other salmon before I got one big enough that he wouldnt mess with it.

Im not sure what he is, but he does look like some kind of rockfish. The other fish is a Flatheaded Clingfish, thanks to scottyreef for identifying it! And how big was your tank? 125g or bigger?

nice new fish!! Yeah I had a small 2.5 and the computer fans didn't do much to be honest, I had two of them. although if it was near a window it probably would have worked better!

You had a 2.5??? What did you do with it??? Oh and the 75g we have is now going to be our only coldwater setup. Im taking down my 20g L and my 29 and im giving the 29 to my brother. He wants to make it FW and the 20g Long is going to be a Brackish for me but its going to lean more on the SW side of the brackish scale.

Mynameskenny19

Ok, 3 pictures fo now, theyre pretty crappy, but you can kinda see our 'scape.

Our light is a pice of crap now, so good pics will have to wait til we fix our light or sumthin.

Left angled

100_3444.jpg

Middle

100_3447.jpg

Right angled

100_3448.jpg

I gave up haha I couldn't keep the temperature down at my house, so I gave it up and that was that. I don't live anywhere where I could collect nems or fish so it wouldn't be cost effective haha.

Nice anemones! The pretty one you posted multiple pics of is Anthopleura artemisia. I think the mystery fish is a tidepool sculpin, but not 100% sure about that one. Definitely some kind of little sculpin.

-Jamie

Mynameskenny19

Finally somebody replies! Thanks Jamie!

Yeah, we have 41 of that species of anenome.

Can you identify the other ones that have the grey tentacles?

Oh and we're going to try to catch a gunnel, but i'll let you know more in a few days.

This is Anthopleura artemisia:

100_3481.jpg

The white one in the the center here is (I think) Metridium senile, but it's a little hard to tell from the picture:

100_3480.jpg

This (on the right, not the fish ;) ) is Anthopleura elegantissima, I think the one you meant you have 41 of:

100_3478.jpg

Also, the big green ones are Anthopleura xanthogrammica

I hope you get a gunnel! They're one of my favorite fish. Good luck!

-Jamie

Mynameskenny19

Thanks for the names Jamie! How did you know them??? Anyhoo, i couldnt wait for updates, so here's a few new pictures!

Our baby rockfish eating his first minnow!

100_3568.jpg

100_3566.jpg

100_3564.jpg

100_3563.jpg

Good pic of a new anenome that Jamie identified!

100_3559.jpg

And a few pics of our baby devil fish!!!

100_3552.jpg

100_3550.jpg

100_3549.jpg

100_3546.jpg

100_3543.jpg

100_3542.jpg

Please enjoy and feel free to comment on the pics and such!

Mynameskenny19

Hey Lalani! Long time no reply! lol

Yeah, thanks for the comment! Man, someday I wish I can set up a tank like yours! Theyre so awesome!

Wait a few more days and I'll have more updated pictures of the tank and livestock. Going collecting in a couple days.

Mynameskenny19

Haha, I was just playin around with ya!

And your 20H is AWESOME!!!! Ive been wanting to setup a trpical tank for a looooong time but never got around to doing so. This 75 is our 4th saltwater tank though, but theyve all been coldwater. Is warm water easier than coldwater??? And yours are not just run-of-the-mill, theyre awesome like Awesome-O 3000!

! thing I think you should get though is a small G. smithii mantis for your 20H.

Hey Lalani, spot the fish!

100_3552.jpg

Lol, thanks! :P

I have no idea if a tropical tank is easier to keep than a coldwater one. I've only kept tropicals, but for me, they are super easy.

I'm not sure how well a mantis would work in the 20H. :P

And that is a cute fish, did you ever identify it?

Archived