Coral Vue Hydros

2g rimless custom pico cube, 9x9x7in

airman_verde04

airman_verde04
that is an awesome idea for a pico setup! i'm going to be watching

Thanks, I wanted the closest thing to say like a BIO cube, but in pico sized.. this is what I dreamed up. so far so good.. thanks for the comment! :blush:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man David, that is one sweet setup you've made for yourself. Had to read the last page or two, saw the nice work on the tank build, then I see your killer stand. All painted up, this is going to be really nice.

Time to get this bad boy salty!!!

-Adam

airman_verde04
Man David, that is one sweet setup you've made for yourself. Had to read the last page or two, saw the nice work on the tank build, then I see your killer stand. All painted up, this is going to be really nice.

Time to get this bad boy salty!!!

-Adam

thanks so much Adam, I had two great tanks (well three now) between you and Karen for me to build up too, and since I went small, I wanted my tank to be as equally cool and streamline, I still have to set up the HOB Fuge, and make an attempt at the over flow Idea. once I do a come fresh water tests with the full set up, I'll find a place for it in the house and get going. I still think it wont be till November, I need to find some sand and rock. and I need new salt.

Hey David. I highly suggest ordering some dry rock from either Marco or Bulk Reef Supply. I went with EcoRox from BRS and couldn't be happier. 98% of my tank is the EcoRox and I just seeded it with a small piece of rock from Karen's tank. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have any nuisance issues from the start and it's worked out perfectly. I know that you can have Marco cherry pick pieces for you and the EcoRox comes in a variety of shapes.

November is right around the corner...better start collecting the sand, rock, and salt now :)

airman_verde04
i love how you did your light!! so i copyed it, you just saved me $50 because i was about to buy a new filter so my light would fit. testing1035.jpg

wait, I just built my stand yesterday, so your telling me you went out and got some acrylic in the past 16 hours, cut it up, and put in on your stand already!! haha.. thats pretty cool..

Hey David. I highly suggest ordering some dry rock from either Marco or Bulk Reef Supply. I went with EcoRox from BRS and couldn't be happier. 98% of my tank is the EcoRox and I just seeded it with a small piece of rock from Karen's tank. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have any nuisance issues from the start and it's worked out perfectly. I know that you can have Marco cherry pick pieces for you and the EcoRox comes in a variety of shapes.

November is right around the corner...better start collecting the sand, rock, and salt now :)

yeah, I'm wondering how I can get sand and rocks and keep them before the tank is set up... maybe just throw them in a bucket? or just keep them in bags. or something??

airman_verde04

any suggestions for CUC? so far I'm thinking

1- Nassarius

2 - Astraea

2- Cerith (maybe just one though)

2 - of those little tiny snails that hang out on the glass, are those cerith? hmm.. I dont know.

1- Mexican redtip (maybe) it seems that all other crabs eat snails, more than the redtips

as far as stocking goes, I'm getting a Yellow Clown goby, and I plan on having only maybe 3 coral. a island of GPS, an Acan, and a really vibrant color zoa. Coral are the last thing I'm worried about, since I will have to cycle this tank far longer than many 10g, I'm mostly worried about getting my YCG, I love coral, but I'm a fish guy, coral are just a plus to the hobby I think, and since I'm really looking for the right colors to complement my tank the most, I'm going to take my golden time adding my coral.

any suggestions for CUC? so far I'm thinking

1- Nassarius

2 - Astraea

2- Cerith (maybe just one though)

2 - of those little tiny snails that hang out on the glass, are those cerith? hmm.. I dont know.

1- Mexican redtip (maybe) it seems that all other crabs eat snails, more than the redtips

as far as stocking goes, I'm getting a Yellow Clown goby, and I plan on having only maybe 3 coral. a island of GPS, an Acan, and a really vibrant color zoa. Coral are the last thing I'm worried about, since I will have to cycle this tank far longer than many 10g, I'm mostly worried about getting my YCG, I love coral, but I'm a fish guy, coral are just a plus to the hobby I think, and since I'm really looking for the right colors to complement my tank the most, I'm going to take my golden time adding my coral.

i've got a 2.7 and I have a small scarlet hermit and a small turbo snail. The turbo snail is actually starting to become a pain because he knocks so many of my corals over, I am going to have to replace him soon with another type of snail. i would be careful with a mexican redtip, i've heard they can be pretty aggressive.

wait, I just built my stand yesterday, so your telling me you went out and got some acrylic in the past 16 hours, cut it up, and put in on your stand already!! haha.. thats pretty cool..

yeah, I'm wondering how I can get sand and rocks and keep them before the tank is set up... maybe just throw them in a bucket? or just keep them in bags. or something??

yea i did lol yours looked so cool and clean looking i had to do it

thats what i did a small bucket and a small hob filter or pump just for water movement, did it once with out a pump for a month just fine

what did coral life change there color and design of there lights that one looks good unlike the gray one that everyone has. Were did you get it and is it the 2x18w i like the black color and different design.. nice setup so far look foward to seeing it done

Of course it depends on the sizes etc but I have about 20 dwarf ceriths and probably 5 or 6 virgin nerites (pencil eraser sized) from reefcleaners and 2 small blue legged hermits in my 9" cube. They keep the rock and glass pretty much spotless (except for hair algae <_<) and don't knock stuff around like the regular sized ceriths, nerites and star astreas in my picotope. Sounds like a lot of snails but like 1/3 of them tend to hang out in my HOB and another 1/3 tend to tunnel through the sand so I have to look pretty closely to see even 6 or 8 of them.

Build is looking great BTW, that's a pretty slick way to hide the HOB. I'll be watching for good ideas to steal :)

airman_verde04

thanks everyone! I went to do the overflow set up, it didn't work out so well, and I'm getting to lazy to keep messing with more work on this tank. I'm ready to start finishing up the stand and get it water ready.

The light is actually a 2x9w, so its only 18w total. I think..... and yeah, its pretty sweet looking in black.

I need to pick up bolts to strap down the light holder thing. I'm thinking about setting up my ATO just for when I take trips out of town.. otherwise the plan is to fine something that fits perfectly behind the light, I want to use the gravity feed style ATO on this tank keeping with this theme of as simple as possible.

other than that, I'm going to put another coat of paint on the stand tomorrow, I got some plaster stuff to fill in the cracks in the spaces in the wood parts on the sides of the stand, It will look much better in person I feel now. I just need to sand it down tomorrow.. I think I should have my first full blown tank test next week.. if not, the week after the 19th, so I'm getting excited!! ok.. its bed time

airman_verde04

painting is finished, still need to mod the HOB fuge, and need to bolt down the light holder (aka Plexiglas) here some pictures of the soon to be location. All I have to say is, eat your heart out Bio-cube, meet your 2.5g maker.. B)

100_1282.jpg

100_1283.jpg

100_1284.jpg

100_1286.jpg

airman_verde04

Finished the sand and tank today, the light is bolted in place now to the stand and I have a couple bolts that fit into the lighting area to keep it from slipping off into water or falling off in general. I have to file down a little section on corner of the HOB filter so the heater wire will fit nicely under the light hood. other than that, I modded the filter today, so tomorrow I should be able to do a full blow water test. I'm going to start figuring out the gravity feed ATO, I'm going to be looking for something small and black to fit perfectly behind the light. also I need to find a little rectangular box to fit the power strip and cables in so its not an eye sore in the kitchen.. anyways.. I'm ordering 4 pounds of dry rock from BRS, and I'm thinking of using the Tunze Reef Excel.. I'm going to cycle the tank right this time, so I dont plan on dosing since I wont have any demanding coral in this tank. so just weekly water changes. thats all for now.

i love your tank, well done! makes me want to build one lol

have you thought about drilling a overflow in the hob filter and put the return in the filter so nothing is in the tank? im going to try that.

airman_verde04
i love your tank, well done! makes me want to build one lol

have you thought about drilling a overflow in the hob filter and put the return in the filter so nothing is in the tank? im going to try that.

I've never seen seen a mod like that, do you have a link to an example, I might be interested, I hate anything hanging in the display, I'm getting a digital thermometer so I dont have anything floating in the tank this time

anyways, I cleaned up the tank some, its ready for a water test with the filter running.I have to place an order for my rock and the new salt, other than that, the tank might be up and running sooner than I planned, still going to think on the ATO, I dont want to use the one from my 10g tank, too bulky and nosiy right now, picking up some sand from a local tomorrow, so Its getting close!!!

anyone who has a picotope or something small like this tank, what do you do as far as water changing goes? I was thinking like 1/2g a week?

airman_verde04
With my 2.5g, I fill up a red solo cup once a week(/1.5 week depending on how lazy i am) with a turkey baster.

haha.. like the ones you use to drink at parties with?? haha.. thats pimp!

well, my filter that I have is old, used, and a free hand me down, for some reason, it doesn't want to work right anymore, so I'm just going to buy a new one, $20, but at least I know it will work right and not sound like a popcorn maker.

airman_verde04
fish tank...

OF THE FUTURE!!!!!!!

wait.... did you mean to add a pictures or something.. or are you just noting that my tank is awesome... hehe.. I'm really happy with it though, so I think its close to awesome. 78% awesome.

Archived