SaltCritters.com

2g rimless custom pico cube, 9x9x7in

airman_verde04

airman_verde04

Good morrow!

well, I'm really excited! I have the other two bulbs on order this week! and a local reefer was nice enough to hook me up with an unused HOB filter for the tank! so if all works out as planed, the tank will be up and running for a few months starting next week!! I only plan on keeping it up if I know I can take it to my office come Janurary, if not, I'll have to break it down till then.. but no worries.. anyhoo!! be on the look out for some updated late next week!! maybe this weekend!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
airman_verde04

Crap, well I already tried to do this, oh well, I got all my stuff and finished up the build up for the pico! I'm picking up some LR next week and going to start running this tank for a few months! Here are alot of pictures!! ENJOY!!

Water Test with AC 200 HOB Filter

AC200.jpg

Here are a couple shots with the light and tank

pico10.jpg

pico11.jpg

pico12.jpg

I dont remember if this is with the 2-10w 50/50's or all of the lights on, oh well.

pico14.jpg

here is the colormax and the LED actinics

pico15.jpg

Here are the LED actinics on by them selves.

pico16.jpg

here is a under the hood shoot, all the lights in action.

pico19.jpg

• 7 months later...
airman_verde04

hahaha. whoa! I thought this page was dead! yeah, I know it does. I might start running it Bare bottom while I'm working on my new tank.. so I can have frags and stuff QT in it. I'm working on a 12x18x9 AIO tank with a 12x12x9 display area. Thanks for the comments!

airman_verde04
i made a fixture just like that ha only with the 20 watt version of that bulb

yeah, I wish I had the 20 watt, If it could only fit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
airman_verde04
Any stocking yet?

Well, I'm still kind of in the middle east, so no.. but I'm planning on putting a Yellow Clown Goby, and some zoas, Armor of God, is all I got right now.. and If I do put in the LED lighting, which I plan on doing, I will have a orange Monti cap.

airman_verde04

post-36763-1249103263_thumb.jpgYou know, I completely forgot to add to this page!! my bad!

weird, so I had a topic all about my new LED lighting for this pico, but somehow its gone!! I mean, Evilc66 replied to the thing... there is no way I dreamt it, I mean I know time feels as it has stopped since I got over here in the sand box.

anyhoo, here are my updates to the tank, and will begin working on them shorty next month after I get home.

new light hood. The hood will house two 50/50 bulbs on the same power sorce, and a high power LED Aray which will give about a 20k MH look to the tank.. I will have to dig up my plans for the lights to give you the specs I plan on useing.. but the LEDs will run me about $50 to build. (ouch!)

post-36763-1249103007_thumb.jpg

here is how some of the space in the stand will be used... the ATO area will be just above the HOB filter.

post-36763-1249103236_thumb.jpg

and this is how the tank it self will look..

post-36763-1249103263_thumb.jpg

The stand will be made from wood, and I'll thinking of using polished aluminium around the light hood and top of stand to give it a really swank look... I dont know how well I will be able to work with the Aluminium, so we shall see... anyhoo... this is my update. When I get a chance I will add the LED parts list.

Not much will really change to this tank aside of the gravity feed ATO system I will build into the stand... No more float switches, ( I need to do my research to make sure they are relable and wont fail on me and cause a flood) and I'm going to add an inch to the new tank just to give alittle more height. This little guy is going to be one sweet little bugger... its going to have that AIO look with the basic set up of a normal tank...

• 1 month later...
airman_verde04

Hey everyone, well, I'm back in the states. still trying to get settled but I'm glad to be home. I'm going glass shopping this week, so I hope to have the start of what will soon be a tank. I'm in no rush to build this guy, I have some old equipment to sell so I dont spend any money from the bank for the tank (keep the wife Happy) I'm hoping to build a new stand soon as well, but need the glass and tank first. I'm only going to have LR- sand, and a Yellow clown Goby, so no lighting upgrade other than getting a 3rd 50/50 bulb will be added. Zoas, and GSP maybe in store, but mostly just want a fish to play with.

airman_verde04

Well, I guess my poor thread is me just talking to myself again.. HAHA.. well, I picked up my glass order from the local glass shop, lets just say I'm very pleased and impressed with the glass and I will get glass from them again If I make a bigger tank (which wont happen since I'm moving) anyhoo. I have 1/8in glass now, its quite beefy, I shouldn't have any bowing on this tank once I fill it up. I have to get some clear sealant to set the edges before I put the sweet black sealant I have for the seams. I also got 1 1/2 in PVC piping for the overflow I'm building, I figure It will help with the yucky film I had in my last tank.

Anyways, aside of the glass being much heavier than I expected, the tank is already working out to be really nice.

Pics will be posted tomorrow morning.

We all talk to ourselves once in a while :P

Gona be interesting to see your DIY skills in action! DIY tanks are sweet if done properly, and black sealant is the way to go... good choice!

airman_verde04

Hey everyone, well, I got some pictures for you, but I got to make this quick because I have a dinner date with my wife and If she catches me fooling around with the N-R shes going to get upset.. anyways, so I went to the LFS, and I was looking at lighting for this tank, and I just decided to save up build up time and wasted money of failed attempts, I got a 18w coralife lamp thing for my pico. I think it will work out better than the 50/50s I got and was cheaper than buying 20w 50/50 bulbs for my build, I just have to rethink the hood for the tank to fit in with the clean look. Otherwise, I have the wood and paint, and I will get to putting the glass together sometime next week and hopefully will have the first water test in about 2 weeks!!

new glass taped up beside old tank

100_1252.jpg

100_1254.jpg

New light on filter just to get size idea to tank.

100_1259.jpg

100_1260.jpg

100_1261.jpg

airman_verde04

Glass is up and drying right now, got the edges silicone right now, I'll be setting the seals tomorrow before work, or during lunch. I'm going to start cutting the overflow/skimmer (aka PVC pipe) later this week.

airman_verde04

Got one leak in one of the bottom corners, I'm going to patch it up along with a few spots that could use some touching up. I think my next water test will be much better.

airman_verde04

here is the picture of the tank with the seals, got to touch up the seals later, only found one mini leak on one of the corners.

100_1266.jpg

you can also see a picture of me beside a painting of Saddam from Iraq. hehe..and my spices.

Just a bit of advice, when working with the silicone you'll get the cleanest look by laying a bead and then wiping it down with your index finger. Comes out beautiful.

airman_verde04
Just a bit of advice, when working with the silicone you'll get the cleanest look by laying a bead and then wiping it down with your index finger. Comes out beautiful.

thanks, I'll remember that next time.. to late now.. I'll survive with how it is.

NICE BUDDY, well done, lots of imrovement from the last build. i like the way it looks. is this going to be the final tank or more after just a holding tank? ( like the last one :) ) i really like the black silicone. just a tidbit that people learn as they are going into this hobby, buy great lights from the beggining you save alot of money that way.

airman_verde04
NICE BUDDY, well done, lots of imrovement from the last build. i like the way it looks. is this going to be the final tank or more after just a holding tank? ( like the last one :) ) i really like the black silicone. just a tidbit that people learn as they are going into this hobby, buy great lights from the beggining you save alot of money that way.

naww, this is going to be a full blow pico set up. Its going to be quite well set up I think, I'm working on the stand today.

I'm really pleased with the light I got, I'm on a limited budget, so I think this was a great comprimise for the tank set-up. I'm sure I will be very pleased with its output with water, and much better than those 50/50 bulbs I had. I put the old light set up over a herb garden for my Kitchen.. hehe.

airman_verde04

Ok folks, well, I got down with the stand today, and its all finished, it needs some little rubber leg things to suspending off the table or whatever I put it on, other than that Painting has began. I still have to work on the overflow, I for some reason lost yet another part to the filter, I'm sure its around the house somewhere. but I may scratch the overflow, but we will see how it turns out.

I'm loving the look of this tank more and more, Its really cool to see what was in my head for about 4 months come to life in person, I feel that my wife will even be impressed with this tank.

on to some pictures.

here is the stand all along, Its going to be painted black, need more paint already.

100_1267.jpg

I side shot with the tank in place, the tank hands about 1/2cm off the front, I dont think it will cause any issues, but I'm going to try to find a way to put a support on the front just incase.

100_1268.jpg

Top view of the stand with the filter in place, the top part to the filter might have to be left off, but I have Plexiglas on the top..

100_1269.jpg

so this is the side view with the top and light in place, I top a really thick piece of Acrylic and I'm using it as a splash guard/light holder thing. I really liked the look of larger tanks with the lights that are hung by cables or whatever, so I wanted the light floating over the tank so nothing was touching the tank.. I really wanted to embrace the greatness of rimless tanks.

100_1270.jpg

100_1271.jpg

thats about it for today, tomorrow I'm going to pick up some more paint and some screws to hold tight the tank top. I should be doing a water test on the tank tonight, then I will get the tank taped off and ready for a black coat on the back glass.. feeling good about this little guy!!!

Archived