Pod Your Reef

What type of MH bulbs do clams prefer?

AcroporaLokani

AcroporaLokani

I'm thinking about getting a clam (I want a gigas but I never can seem to find them under 10") so ill probable just get a blue crocea.

My question is what type of MH bulb would clams prefer, 10K, 14K or 20K? I want to switch all my MH lights over to 20K ushio. But would a crocea thats about 3" or more do well under 20K?

I also feed my tanks twice a week with a mix of two types of zooplankton and two types of phytoplankton.

Also if any one can point me in the direction of a website that sells gigas that are about 3" to 6" that would be great.

Thanks

really i don't think it will matter which bulb you use as long as it is a sufficient wattage(though i know PAR and stuff factor in but i kept clams under many different MH bulbs).

Croceas and maximas tend to inhabit shallower waters, so 10k or 14k would be closer to the color of light they would recieve in the wild. Derasas, Squamosas, and Gigas inhabit deeper waters.

However, it has been my experience that Tridacnids will do just fine under any sufficiently intense full-spectrum light source, regardless of color temperature.

Croceas and maximas require very intense light, squamosas less so, and gigas/derasa even less.

AcroporaLokani

Ok, thanks. I just want to switch to 20K so my SPS and zoa's get more color to them. Im moving in three weeks and im going to be ordering a new tank and bulb from nanotuners and I was crossing my finger to get a clam for the new tank.

Archived