Coral Vue Hydros

derasa clam good idea??

Fishboy20

i would like to stick a little (1 1/2- 2") derasa clam in my 2.5 gal, but i would also like to be realistic with my expectations. They aren't the prettiest clam, but i read they are the hardiest, and thats all i care about, keeping it alive. lightings not a problem, neither would be calcium. Im worried about nitrate, if there would be enough in a 2.5 to support it, especially considering i will do a water change weekly. I'm not sure, what do you guys think? anything other than nitrate i could possibly feed it (liquid invert food or something)?? please tell me what you think! if it doesnt look to promising, ill forget it for now. thanks, ben b.

technoshaman

I used to have a hippopus in my 18 gallon nano. Very hardy, not real pretty but easy to take care of. Derasa are likewise as hardy but grow much faster - with feeding and calcium supplements that clam could outgrow the nano in a year or maybe less. Also as a rule of thumb I consider most clams under 3" to still need supplemental feedings from a good phyto or other commercial food - once they get at least 3" they will usually subsist on the products of their zooxanthellae alone.

i would have to disagree derasas can be very good looking. sure they wont have the stunnign colors of the croceas or the maximas but they are beautiful in their own little way. atleast thats what i think.

Archived