ReefCleaners.org

I want a clam

moneyman6891

moneyman6891

I have wanted a clam since I first saw one. The lfs has 4 inch maximas for 40 bucks so I was about to get one when I thought twice about it. I have a 29 gallon with a 10 gallon refuge, 4x39 watt t5ho. The tank is coming up on 9 months, and my calcium is always 400-430. Anything else I should check for, besides nitrates and such.

Individual reflectors on that T-5? If not, NO WAY! Remember you mess up a clam...it will nuke your tank :D MH is preferred...Maximas in particular.

-DCG

Individual reflectors on that T-5? If not, NO WAY! Remember you mess up a clam...it will nuke your tank :D MH is preferred...Maximas in particular.

-DCG

With a good HOT5 fixture it is very doable. I have 1 crocea, and 4 maximas in my 40br with HOT5 lighting.

2OceanLovers

I would say go for it if you have individual reflectors on your T-5s. I had one in a 29 with a 175w MH and it did great for the time I had it. Watch your calcium, though. They deplete it really fast.

I have to disagree with that article to a certain extent. I do believe that Derasa, Squamosa and Gigas are far less light dependent, however I don't believe PC is adequate for keeping them in proper health.

A perfect example is the Derasa I currently have in my care. It was being kept under 192watt PC light, in a well maintained tank literally inches away from the fixture on the top of the rock work. It was in immaculate shape when it was first put in there, but after a few months it seemed to get a little dull. Nothing too drastic at first, but as time passed, around the 8 month mark I went to go inspect the clam. The clam is now the most drab brown I have seen, and has a major loss of pigment/zooxanthellae. The clam looks to be in very rough shape and does not even extend the mantle the way it should. It hasn't grown at all in the past 8 months even with calcium and Alk levels in check.

Overall I still think PC is a no go for clams, but I am sure there have been instances where the clams have done well - my question is for how long? Like I said - it took 8 months for the clam to get to the point where I was worried about it's survival.

I have since removed it from my friends aquarium, and moved it into my Solana.It is beginning to perk up; I estimate at least 3 months before it looks like it used to.

moneyman6891

no individual reflectors. I have a fish need it fixture. Can I put individual reflectors on it? I'm getting new bulbs before a clam.

no individual reflectors. I have a fish need it fixture. Can I put individual reflectors on it? I'm getting new bulbs before a clam.

I am not familiar with your fixture so I can't answer that since I don't know what sort of space is in it. But I suppose if you put proper reflectors behind at least 3 or 4 HOT5 bulbs then you should be alright.

moneyman6891

I just emailed the company asking if anyone has put reflectors in there fixture. Also i'm going to get 2 ATI blue plus, 1 10k, and 1 fiji purple bulb. Will that be good for keeping a clams colors?

I just emailed the company asking if anyone has put reflectors in there fixture. Also i'm going to get 2 ATI blue plus, 1 10k, and 1 fiji purple bulb. Will that be good for keeping a clams colors?

Yeah that sounds about right - all you need is the reflectors then!

good reflectors that don't cost an arm and leg.

That was almost an oxymoron.

Seriously though, I am not too sure where you can get good reflectors alone... Possibly ATI will sell them individually?

I found icecaps for 20 each at reefgeek, I don't have enough room for 3 so I might try 2

Why don't you just dismantle your fixture, remove the guts and DIY a new one with all individual reflectors?

moneyman6891

Good idea, is there any plans somewhere. I was going to make a canopy and retrofit them, but my light is 36 inches long and my tank is 30. I don't think I can make it look good though.

Good idea, is there any plans somewhere. I was going to make a canopy and retrofit them, but my light is 36 inches long and my tank is 30. I don't think I can make it look good though.

it could look good if you make it so the only the front panel shows (box the tank in similar to my 40br) that way you can't see the light.

lakshwadeep

Just look on retrofit kits from the reefgeek site and buy all the parts you don't have separately.

Also, I agree with TJ that PCs may not be ideal for clams. However, I would point out that your clam turning a drab brown sounds like increased zooxanthellae concentration (they are brownish in color) to absorb more light with a major loss of only pigment. This is similar to "browned out" SPS corals.

lakshwadeep
I can't retrofit a light because I don't have a canopy. Maybe I will be waiting on a clam.

I didn't have a real canopy either. The reefgeek retrofits are meant to be used with wood screws, and so I made a very simple setup to just hold the endcaps. When I mean simple, I mean it was made out of a single wooden board (L-72" W-2.5" H-3/4") with three cuts (at the 12", 24", and 60" marks) and using a total of 20 screws (16 attached the stand-offs to the wood).

your clam turning a drab brown sounds like increased zooxanthellae concentration (they are brownish in color) to absorb more light with a major loss of only pigment. This is similar to "browned out" SPS corals.

+1

Sorry about the lack of clarification. The fact that so much of the mantle has started becoming pale and translucent, and not being covered by either pigment or zooxanthellae would lead me to believe that a portion of the zooxanthellae has vacated from the clam, or perished. Whatever remaining color the clam has is brown.

Archived