Top Shelf Aquatics

clam jumped - left part of his foot?

tranceFusion

tranceFusion

My clam jumped from the ledge he was attached to (actually he was on a piece of rubble and I moved him there - I guess he didn't like it)..

Anyway, a piece of his foot is still on the rock - there is like tissue there (although I am sure it won't be there long). Is this ok?

I put him on a piece of rock on the sand so I hope he doesn't hate it there, since there's nowhere for him to jump to :)

That should be fine. He wasn't happy where he was. Either too much/too little light and/or flow. He can fall on his side where he is which would be a sign that he's not happy. More importantly what kind of clam and what kind of lighting do you have? With that information people can better help you with placement. For example Derasa, Squamosa and Giga's like to be on the sand bed. Corcea and Maxima's however have very fine gills and sand can cause harm.

tranceFusion

I am not sure of he is crocea or maxima. I can post a pic later. He is still fairly small (3 inches?).

I have a 12g w/ the 70W metal halide sunpod. I had him about 4 inches below the water line. Now he is just above the sand bed. The flow all over my tank is low/moderate as I have alot of rics and other stuff that don't like it too crazy.

it should be fine i actually tore my clams foot when i tried moving it and it has healed already and attached to the spot i left him in, just make sure u take good care of it

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the same problem.

I put my crocea on a rock shelf at the top of the tank under 175MH. He jumped this morning. So I put him it upright in the sand over a piece of rubble. The clam looks awesome, all open and a couple layers of white when it closes to show it is growing.

BUT...there is a piece of it's foot on that rock still from where it jumped. Like I said, the clam is open and looks happy.

no need to freak out?

i hear if you take really good care of what's left of the foot it grows into a whole new clam!

I very much doubt this. Any links or proof?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived