Coral Vue Hydros

Derasa Clam Help

migs

I just purchased a small Derasa Clam (I think - smooth, white shell)... he is about 2 inches wide. Anyway, he was doing great, but today, his mantle is not coming out (one of my crabs knocked him down over night). He opens his shells and shuts it when a fish or I come near it - so he is responding... should i be worried?

First clam so I am a little worried I am doing everything ok... when researching before buying, I learned about response, gapping and mantle not exposed... probably a case of too much info and not interpreting it correctly. Thank you.

One more question... recommendations on placement of a derasa clam in a biocube 29g with standard lighting... I read that they prefer sand but would they rather rock closer to the light?

He didn't make it. This morning I found him dead... calm frozen open and inside was just detached... it most have been too much of a shock... trying to figure out what I did wrong.

How about not enough light? Most clams are MH only. There is no way you can keep a clam in a BC29 with the stock lighting.

Reef Goddess

Small clams are very intolerant of falling. It can stress them out a lot more than older clams and push them over the edge.

• 2 weeks later...
How about not enough light? Most clams are MH only. There is no way you can keep a clam in a BC29 with the stock lighting.

+1

yeah guys, but derasas have been known to be kept under stock 20-30 gallon AIO tank lighting. they are the least light dependent.

If any clam is going to survive under PC lighting it is going to be Hippopus!

To be honest, I have seen what happens to Derasa clams under PC lighting over a period of 8 months. I can say for one that the clam is still alive. However, it does not look as healthy as it should by any means. It's color is quite drab, and it's mantle has developed "windows" or white circular areas where the symbiotic algae has disappeared. This is not the sign of a happy Derasa. The clam is literally 5" away from 192 watts of PC lighting.

Will the clam die? I don't know for sure. Is the clam doing it's best? Certainly not. Would I keep clams under PC lighting? I wouldn't chance it.

Sorry to be the devil's advocate. :(

Archived