Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr. Fosi's drilled 20H

Mr. Fosi

Deleted User 6

A good starter Edwards is God's Passion for His Glory by John Piper - it contains the whole of The End for Which God Created the World by Edwards, with an intro by Piper and Pipers notes throughout the Edwards part. It's a good way to get adjusted to Edwards' writing style with notes by someone who knows Edwards really well.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are embarassing me. I'm reading Melville's "Typee", one of his South Seas stories.

Glad to see that frogspawn is doing well. The mother colony is still doing very good also. I sold at least a hundred heads of it this past weekend at our local meeting and it's still huge.

No need to be embarrassed! :lol: Did you see what was near the top of my list (last page fo thread)?

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - James D. Hornfischer

That was recommended by a friend in another lab.

Whoa. I'll have to read that one too. Next trip to the Phils Genie and I have plans to go to where the Bataan Death March was held, on Leyte also.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

So... I did a waterchange today and a full battery of water tests. I haven't tested in months and I haven't changed water in a good long while either. I also epoxied the frog frag for DHaut but I haven't taken pics b/c it's really unhappy right now.

I found that my Mg, Ca and alk were low (alk is at 6.5 dKH :blink:), so I amended the change water high to give an initial boost, then I will be dosing it up all this week. My pH was also low, aruond 7.8 and it's the end of my photoperiod, so it looks like I have indoor CO2 issues like so many others, even in spite of my sump full of chaeto.

I also found that my Tunze isn't skimming, so I'll be pulling it out for a full-scale cleaning.

All-in-all, I've been slack these last few months and it's time to get back on it.

In other news, I'm still not done with Questions. The latter part of the book is becoming sloggy as it's fairly predictable. Perhaps if I hadn't already read a lot of Lewis it wouldn't be so, but it is what it is. -_-

Stuff looked kind POed today so I added some Ca, Mg and alk after which everything improved. I keep forgetting to dose in the morning before I leave.

Also, I got a couple more emeralds from John Maloney and dropped them in the tank. They took to browsing pretty immediately so I have the feeling that they will put the hurt back on the bubble algae, hydroids and maybe even the Gelidium that just won't go away.

I saw those links in your sig. ;)

I may clean off the glass and take some pics just for you D! :lol: I haven't posted an FTS since October.

Also, no dice on a 48-72 hr heat pack just yet. I'm gonna check with a couple outdoorsy stores tomorrow, but I'm open to suggestions. Shipping places like FedEx and UPS don't appear to carry them.

Militant Jurist

Don't you hate it when dirty glass gets in the way of taking a FTS! :P I need to clean my 20L's glass in a bad way. I'm also dealing with cyano or dinos due to my somewhat extended absence over the holiday. Thankfully my other tank is still keeping itself clean.

I'm glad that there are some other folks who enjoy light reading. I'm working on a book called the Constants of Nature, dealing with things such as the General Theory of Relativity. :happy: I had to take a break from that book, however, when I got my hands on the newly released Michael Crichton book, Pirate Latitudes. It was a very good book that I read in about 2 days.

Militant Jurist
MJ, interceptor is on its way to you, my friend.

:happy: Thanks! Can't wait to see it in action. Those little buggers don't know what they've got coming!

Never had to use interceptor... Hope never to.

Also, re: light reading, I wish I could move faster than I am but I just have so much going on. I wanted to be done with the book some time ago, but it is hard to want to dive deep when I just spent all day banging my head against a wall. I'll prolly finish Questions over the holidays and start into In the Beginning. -_-

Now for pics.

First, the ugly pic. The acan has been looking ugly for some time, perhaps because of my lax dosing. There are a couple areas of the colony that consistently secrete clear coral slime junk. I blow it off and it just keeps coming. It keeps the top of the frag irritated. I'm hoping that if I start being more consistent with my dosing that it'll act better.

DSC02140.p.jpg

A pic of a frag of the green gorg holding back the encroaching ugly palys. Note the gorg doesn't look bothered at all but the paly skirts are curled up and away.

DSC02132.p.jpg

Some general pics.

DSC02134.p.jpg

DSC02135.p.jpg

DSC02143.p.jpg

DSC02137.p.jpg

DSC02130.p.jpg

DSC02129.p.jpg

The FTS. Everything's still a little mad from my creditcard scraping frenzy.

DSC02127.p.jpg

And finally, something seasonal. :lol:

DSC02146.p.jpg

You know, I meant to address the pumpkin so none of you could say anything but then I forgot. :lol: My son likes his orange and blue ToT pumpkins and uses them to store matchbox cars and whatnot.

Militant Jurist

Now you just need a turkey, some fireworks, and an easter bunny in the picture, and you'll have most of the holidays covered!

Militant Jurist
i spy with my eye something silver

Do you mean the thing that looks like an evil face of something sitting on the table, between the tree and the wall? It almost looks like the face of the rabbit in Donnie Darko. :ninja:

Militant Jurist
lol. no. but donnie darko is amazing.

Hm.... I guess I'll have to keep hunting for something silver. Do you see what I'm talkin bout though? And yeah, Donnie Dark was a good movie... an f'd up movie.

Speaking of Religion, (we were at some point, weren't we? :D )

Here's my candidate for the nerdiest e-mail I've gotten in a long time, and it came from my boss.

THERMODYNAMICS OF HELL

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry midterm. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you." and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

The student received the only "A" given.

Archived