SaltCritters.com

80g cubish glass tank

cbort

first water change done today....changed out 15g of fresh mixed R/O....My overflow will be here on Tuesday, so will have my CL up and running then.

Anyone have any input on how loud Iwaki pumps are running as closed loop full throttle?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your tank = way too small for blue tang in six months.

other than that, looks good.

i have an iwaki hooked up on CL for my salt water mixer... its definately got noise. a more quiet option for a CL would be a reeflo snapper or something along those lines.

first 15g water change done! Tank looks 100x better. All corals look better and are opening up. Nems are both opened up fully. And my mini cycle is almost over. Thanks for all the feedback. Next monday i will do another 15g water change and then to switch to 8g water changes from then on out every monday!

This is one of the most inspiring tank setups i've ever seen

Thanks a lot! Hope to have it full of corals soon! Don't like all that rock showing! ha ha

• 3 weeks later...

ok...got my closed loop set up and plumbed. PVC Cemented everything, but when i turn the pump on just little bit of water dribbles out??

The hole is in the back left corner of my tank. My pump is attached to that hole with a right angle piece of PVC, and sits perfectly even with the hole. MY returns shoot straight up into a tee and are returned back into the tank on either side of the tank? I tested the pump before i hooked this thing up, and worked Very very well. The pump is humming and everything but no pressure its an iwaki 1200gph pump.

fixed!! Thanks I got flow! Will have pics up soon! I now have flow from 5 different returns! I am guessing around 1600 gph.

• 3 weeks later...

All fish are doing great! Corals are getting better. I left for a week vacation. Put my lights on a timer and topped my tank off. Some corals seemed to not take the vacation very well...lps especially. But my zoos and nems look pretty good. Also just fragged about 8 different colors of my zoos on my new reef plugs and made a new frag rack. Will soon have some different colors to trade out.

I have a different species of snail that was introduced into my tank by hitch hiking. They are a bit too big for their shells and almost look like a leach with a small flat shell.

Anyways...when the halides went off tonite and my actinics were still on i began to see what looked like puffs of smoke in the water. i caught one after another standing up "coming off of the rocks 3/4 the way and were producing small smoke like clouds. Then they just went back to grazing.

Anyone know what kind of snails these are or what in the world they were doing and why when the halides went off?

Sounds like stomatella. Great little snails. They eat like crazy. I only wish they were more readily available for sale, as most of the time they are only seen as hitchikers.

They are everywhere. Very neat looking guys. And i have even some some tiny ones too! So maybe they are producing! Thanks for the i.d. was just making sure they weren't a bad type of snail.

WOW! looking at your tank make me want to dive in there and take some pictures. nice tank.

:D Thanks! You may be able to fit ! Left some nice open spaces! Too bad will be taking this tank down soon!

WoW!! From that mess of a tank when you got it to a beautiful reef in just a few short pictures. It looks so easy when someone else is doing it. Nice job and a terrific tank.

WoW!! From that mess of a tank when you got it to a beautiful reef in just a few short pictures. It looks so easy when someone else is doing it. Nice job and a terrific tank.

Yes it is easy when you have another tank already set up, transfer all of your livestock and then 2-3 weeks later you buy someone's entire livestock of 30 corals and 8 fish.

This was the tank i had set up before this 80g cube. But i am actually taking this tank down and setting this custom 40g cube back up again.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146951

well this tank kinda takes up my entire living room (not that i mind but the wifey does) and also i really missed my 40g cube when i sold it, and recently just got it back. So... I am going to store this tank since i cannot find a buyer, and set up the cube instead. Will have to find homes for some of my livestock tho :angry:

Also my new light comes next week sometime (250HQI, 2 PC actinics) , and i think i am going to set up a nice little 18x18x8"T frag tank and focus on corals rather than fish.

Archived