inTank Media Baskets

Clam or Oyster?

nannodad

How can you tell the difference between a clam and an oyster. I am assuming this is a oyster only because it is hidden and out of the light. I though clams needed intense light! I have two of these imbedded deep into the rock and they slowly open and close throughout the day.

post-37113-1213549636_thumb.jpg

They are a type of hitchhiking bivalve. They are harmless filter feeders, enjoy them while you have them. Generaly we dont have enough suspended food in our tanks for them to survive very long!

They are a type of hitchhiking bivalve. They are harmless filter feeders, enjoy them while you have them. Generaly we dont have enough suspended food in our tanks for them to survive very long!

Is there a way to feed them?

I had a bunch in an old tank and they eventually died! Mine would climb the glass at night! Very cool hitcher, try to feed it maybe yours will fare better!

I had a bunch in an old tank and they eventually died! Mine would climb the glass at night! Very cool hitcher, try to feed it maybe yours will fare better!

Feed it What? Is there a food I can buy?

maybe something like DT's live marine phytoplankton.

If you can't shell out the cash for DT's, at least squirt something like phytoplex or phytogold (bottled dead phytoplankton from Kent Marine and Brightwell Aquatics, respectively)!

Reef Goddess

Well how old is your tank and do you feed your fish much? Cause I've had a few of those for years and they don't take any special care, but he do feed our tanks pretty heavily so all my inverts including flame scallops do well.

How can you tell the difference between a clam and an oyster. I am assuming this is a oyster only because it is hidden and out of the light. I though clams needed intense light!

These are clams. I got some too. They don't need light. Most clams don't need light except T. class reef clams.

In the oyster, the upper shell is larger and hollowed to contain the oyster's body;

the lower shell is usually flat but may be concave. In the clam the shells are symmetrical,

that's what your looks like. two symmetrical shells.

Archived