SaltCritters.com

Zombo's FrankenWave9: Mirrors and LEDs

Zombo

Wow thats an awesome price. Did it come with the skimmer and all that stuff or was the broken hinge the only thing that the tank was without?

It comes with the skimmer and all that stuff :) That's why I bought 3 of them! evilc66 just let me know my heatsinks are ready, I should have them in hand mid-week. I'll start assembly on the retrofit next weekend B)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AcroporaLokani
It comes with the skimmer and all that stuff :) That's why I bought 3 of them! evilc66 just let me know my heatsinks are ready, I should have them in hand mid-week. I'll start assembly on the retrofit next weekend B)

Awesome.

Would you hurry up and get those heatsinks in already :P

Some people have work and a family too :P I'll start futzing with it this weekend. I promise!

They can wait :D. Chop chop!

You don't know my wife :o She's pissed off already with the sudden pile of aquarium related ###### in the basement!

You don't know my wife :o She's pissed off already with the sudden pile of aquarium related ###### in the basement!

lol luck u have a basement all my #### is around the house. i just threw everything in boxes to stop the b!tching...filled up about 5 LOL.

if i only had a ebay account lol.

Pics will be up tomorrow! I got a Coralife 20" fixture gutted and will mount the heatsinks tomorrow!

Are you happy now evilc66? :slap:

So, I've made some progress, finally. Here follows a photographic chronology of what has transpired, along with some witty @55 commentary ;)

I started with this little gem, as I mangled the original NW9 hood to the point of unusability. If anyone is interested, I have a brand new in-the-box for sale or trade.

coralife_in_box.jpg

"No disassemble!"

gutted_coralife.jpg

The sweet 36v/150W power supply I scored for $18 + shipping :)

powersupply.jpg

And the business end of the power supply

ps_terminals.jpg

More pictures after the break :happydance:

Okay! On with the show! :D

A single Cree LED (purchased from Deal Extreme)

cree_goodness.jpg

Many Cree LEDs B)

leds_of_power.jpg

The 750ma BuckPuck, the constant current drive for the blue Cree LEDs

700ma_puck.jpg

The 1000ma BuckPuck, for driving the Cree Q5 white LEDs

1000ma_puck.jpg

evilc66's wonderfully machined aluminum heatsinks -- I cannot tell you how beautiful a job he did on these! They're *perfect* :wub:

evilc66s_heatsinks.jpg

...and a sort of preview of what a Cree will looks like on a evilCink™

cree_and_heatsink.jpg

The next post will be the best! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..............

It took my brain awhile to wrap itself around the idea of how to get the heatsinks mounted accurately and with a minimum of fuss -- and although I think the way I did it was pretty nifty, I'm sure evilc66 will chime in with something like, "Dumbass! You should have done _____________ instead!" or something :ninja:

I measured the interior width of the hood section I was using so I had a baseline for placement and spacing of the heatsinks. I then lightly scribed the interior of the hood in a 50/50 split, and made matching 50/50 scribe lines on the heatsinks - this way I insured that the heatsinks (and consequently, the LEDs) would be as evenly spaced over the tank as possible.

I then used a glue stick to attach cut strips of paper to the LED bearing surface of the heatsinks, to make a template of where the mounting holes were located. A little dab of rubbing alcohol on the paper, and the strips lifted right off :) The strips were then mapped onto the interior surface of the hood, and I drilled the mounting screw holes with my handy dandy RotoZip™ tool. Here's the results!

finished_2.jpg

finshed_3.jpg

Well, that's all for today. I'll start mounting the LED's in the next day or two, then start with the electical wiring portion of the retrofit. Thanks for tuning in! B)

dahliaheartsyou

that looks fancy!!!

oh, and kirby recognized me when I got corals from preuss yesterday :wub:

did you see them?

OMG OMG OMG!!!

i saw a mantis shrimp there too!!!!

a peacock one!!!

so scary...he looked like he only had 1 eye...but I don't really know where their eyes are to know that...

that looks fancy!!!

oh, and kirby recognized me when I got corals from preuss yesterday :wub:

did you see them?

OMG OMG OMG!!!

i saw a mantis shrimp there too!!!!

a peacock one!!!

so scary...he looked like he only had 1 eye...but I don't really know where their eyes are to know that...

Kirby is out of town until tomorrow. LoL?

dahliaheartsyou
Kirby is out of town until tomorrow. LoL?

hm...

ok maybe I meant a diff. guy...

LOL.

he is younger, taller, with dark hair like buzz cut ish...coulda swore he had a tat...

steve said somebody recognized me and they gave me 20% roti-feast...

lol at me being an idiot.

Dude, looks sweet. That Coralife fixture looks like it was made for LEDs. I'm glad you liked how the heatsinks turned out.

If anyone else is interested in heatsinks like this, drop me a PM. I have a bunch of these and can set them up however you want. (Sorry for the shameless plug there Zombo)

I'm going to mount the LEDs tonight, then just quicky-rig the wiring to test them out. I'll try and snap some pics ;)

Afraid I'll screw it up? Huh?

The LEDs go:

----hot wire---- [+ LED -]---[+ LED -]---[+ LED -] ---[+ LED -]----return leg----

Right? ;)

No. I had a miserable day, I got my braces adjusted yesterday and my mouth is not happy. I think I'll wait to do more work on this -- I want to get the project box for the power supply and buck pucks, and the other wiring hoo-hah I want.

dahliaheartsyou
No. I had a miserable day, I got my braces adjusted yesterday and my mouth is not happy. I think I'll wait to do more work on this -- I want to get the project box for the power supply and buck pucks, and the other wiring hoo-hah I want.

you have braces?

braces_smiley.gif

I feel your pain man. I dreaded those days.

Try getting them when you're an old man like me. The teeth don't like moving at all, and the pain level is much higher. Darvocet FTW!

Archived