inTank Media Baskets

IS IT BACK? Bonsai's JBJ Picotope [3g] Journal

Bonsai

if he doesn't want them he should sell them or givethem away. If that doesn't work, zombo might get a few expensive treats for his mantis!

Did he say he did not want them? Guess I missed something. I am hoping it is just the calcium being a little low.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did he say he did not want them? Guess I missed something. I am hoping it is just the calcium being a little low.

No, I definitely want them ... I just want to isolate them to figure out if they're the problem :)

Really? The AC70 impeller puts out crazy flow -- almost to the point that the water is splashing out of the tank ...

Set on the lowest level, the AC70 puts about about the same flow as the AC20 on the highest setting. I changed to the AC20 because was I was still use the top on the AC70 Filter, and when I was removing the top, I kept bumping the intake tube and turning the flow way too high.

With the AC20 impeller, I don't have to worry about that.

I have the AC70 on low, the only problem I have is when I don't top off in a few days, and my sand gets pushed back.

Bonsai I wouldn't think it's the calcium keeping those zoa's closed. My Sexy's walked on my zoa's and they were pissed off the first week or two but they eventually got used to them. Now they close but they immediately open back up after they leave. We have three of these picotopes at the office and two are running the AC70 at medium flow with no issues. You might try and run some chemipure, just drop the bag in your AC70 to see if maybe something is in there irratatiing them. I'd give that a try.

Steve

Bonsai I wouldn't think it's the calcium keeping those zoa's closed. My Sexy's walked on my zoa's and they were pissed off the first week or two but they eventually got used to them. Now they close but they immediately open back up after they leave. We have three of these picotopes at the office and two are running the AC70 at medium flow with no issues. You might try and run some chemipure, just drop the bag in your AC70 to see if maybe something is in there irratatiing them. I'd give that a try.

Steve

Funny you should mention that -- I just added a half unit of Chemi-Pure to the AC70 last week :)

Please excuse my noobishness, but why would you be concerned with the calcium level given your livestock?

Also, a few details on your set-up (I did take the time to read the entire thread so please excuse me if I missed it):

What color bulbs are you running (PC and LEDs)?

What additives are you using?

What does your weekly WC/feeding/additive schedule look like?

Do you use any other media in addition to the ChemiPur (phosphate sponge or other such thing)?

Do you just have macro algae in the 'fuge or do you also have some LR rubble?

What does your CUC consist of?

I've got a 29g in the living room that I've been building up for several months now, but I'll be spending lots of time in the home office soon due to a job change and I think a pico would help immensely:) Thanks!

Please excuse my noobishness, but why would you be concerned with the calcium level given your livestock?

Also, a few details on your set-up (I did take the time to read the entire thread so please excuse me if I missed it):

What color bulbs are you running (PC and LEDs)?

What additives are you using?

What does your weekly WC/feeding/additive schedule look like?

Do you use any other media in addition to the ChemiPur (phosphate sponge or other such thing)?

Do you just have macro algae in the 'fuge or do you also have some LR rubble?

What does your CUC consist of?

I've got a 29g in the living room that I've been building up for several months now, but I'll be spending lots of time in the home office soon due to a job change and I think a pico would help immensely:) Thanks!

- Includes Dual Daylight 6,700°K/10,000°K and Dual Actinic 420 nanometer and 460 nanometer bulbs.

- No additives

- .5 gallons once or twice a week is changed. Feeding is done every other day

- Chemi-Pure in the 'fuge

- Chaeto in the 'fuge

- CUC = 2 Trochus Snails, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Nassarius Snails, and the Sexy Shrimp pick at the gunk too

dahliaheartsyou
A comfortable bed of GSP for the little Green Clown Goby ... enjoy :)

gspbedkv8.jpg

AW!

so cute!

I can't wait till my gsp gets that big!!!

dahliaheartsyou
GSP grows like a weed. Be careful what you wish for :)

haha, so I've heard!

but I think it's really cute!

although, it will be kept in the sand bed, I've heard it's pretty aggressive...

Yea CCL put that GSP right on the substrate cause if you put it on a rock it'll be on everything in no time. I've got some really awesome neon green stuff that almost blinds you. Unfortunately it's a little overwhelming when it grows on everything and chokes your other stuff out. Bonsai, I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those Green Clowns as my yellow died a while back. It's been almost 6 weeks now so it's time to look.

Steve

Yea CCL put that GSP right on the substrate cause if you put it on a rock it'll be on everything in no time. I've got some really awesome neon green stuff that almost blinds you. Unfortunately it's a little overwhelming when it grows on everything and chokes your other stuff out. Bonsai, I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those Green Clowns as my yellow died a while back. It's been almost 6 weeks now so it's time to look.

Steve

Yeah, I really like the little green guy. He and his three Sexy Shrimp buddies (although, I think they're all female) keep me entertained.

Now, if only my zoas would look healthy ...

I think I'm going to give them another 2-3 weeks to get used to the Sexy Shrimp touching them all the time. If they're not opening more by then, I'll pull them and get some different coral in here ... maybe it'll become a mushroom tank.

Any suggestions for coral to replace the zoas?

So I have a theory about my Zoas being pissed off most of the time. My theory is this:

There are only a few pieces of coral in the tank, therefore, the sexy shrimp naturally hang out around these few coral ... if there were a ton of coral, then each individual coral would only get harassed some of the time ... instead of my current situation, where the couple coral I have get harassed most of the time.

So - I added some zoas from my BC14. If they end up getting as pissed as the other ones, I'll just bring them back home ... but for now, photo update!

Ricordea Rock with Sexy Shrimp (and Superman Mushroom)

augustupdate02hn5.jpg

Green Clown Goby with newly added Zoanthids

augustupdate03mz9.jpg

New FTS

augustupdate04cr7.jpg

New Angled Shot

augustupdate05nm3.jpg

I thought you banished the little shrimps?

The tank looks good though, love the black sand. :)

I haven't yet ... I'm not sure if they'd survive in the 'fuge. I might end up selling the little dudes though.

HecticDialectics

I'd probably do a lugols dip a few days in a row (after the dip have some old tank water or something to swish em in a little... going from the dip to a lil bitty tank could screw the iodine levels in the tank) and stuff the filter full of polyfilter pads...

Check it a few times before and after the light goes out with a flashlight too. Maybe you got some nasty hitchhiker screwin with em at night.

meant to post that in your other thread :X aw well

I'd probably do a lugols dip a few days in a row (after the dip have some old tank water or something to swish em in a little... going from the dip to a lil bitty tank could screw the iodine levels in the tank) and stuff the filter full of polyfilter pads...

Check it a few times before and after the light goes out with a flashlight too. Maybe you got some nasty hitchhiker screwin with em at night.

meant to post that in your other thread :X aw well

I think I do have some nasty hitchhiker. So, here's the deal ... for those of you who haven't heard, my Picotope has become a sort of death trap for Zoanthids.

It could be a hundred different issues, right? Well, I'm wondering if it is a Nudibranch eating them up at night ... the signs seem to be pointing in that direction.

I actually added a frag of Nuclear Green Palys on Monday, and they looked great that day, and looked good today, so if they continue to look good throughout this week, I'll know that it isn't a water quality or chemical issue ... just something targeting the Zoas.

Stay tuned ...

Why not just put them in a friends tank or in a lfs qt tank for a while and see how they do. Mine did awful in my pico but did good in a friends tank. I have daisy polyps melting away on me, yet they're supposed to be a super easy coral to maintain. I think this is just the way it is when running a picotope.

Sorry you are having such bad luck with your zoa.'s. My sexies crawl all over mine but they open right back up in just a couple minutes once the sexies get off them. Did you check out the tank last night after lights out? Any creatures found?

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry you are having such bad luck with your zoa.'s. My sexies crawl all over mine but they open right back up in just a couple minutes once the sexies get off them. Did you check out the tank last night after lights out? Any creatures found?

Well -- I have all but completely de-commissioned the Picotope setup in my office. Yesterday, I picked up a BC8 to replace it, and today, I added brand new Live Rock and Water to the BC8. A completely new setup.

I never really figured out what made the Picotope fail ... but I don't think it was pests, or anything detectable in the water, but something was making the coral look horrific.

So, as of now, the Picotope is in my office, but only to house my CC and Clown Goby until the BC8 is cycled. At that point, the Picotope setup will be sold.

It was a good journey for a while, but something just didn't work right with the tank. I just wish I knew why it failed.

Jason

im bout right with you bonsai,, all my zoas seem to be melting away and dieng.. something about these Picos man,, they are no joke.... guess thats why they are for the most advanced experts only.

i dunno all my params are fine, weekly waterchanges.. who knows...

im bout right with you bonsai,, all my zoas seem to be melting away and dieng.. something about these Picos man,, they are no joke.... guess thats why they are for the most advanced experts only.

My new theory is that too many water changes harm them, my tank always seems to look better the longer it goes without a water change but I always get worried and end up changing a lot more then I should. My new thing is less water changes the better it does! :o

Yeah - I simply do not understand what happened.

For instance, those Palys that I added a week or two ago, they were bright green and opened so full the first couple days ... now, they're maybe 75% of the original size, and have turned brownish and ugly.

Oh well -- I'm sure this tank will find a good home elsewhere. Right now, I'm getting excited about my new BC8 :)

Archived