SaltCritters.com

IS IT BACK? Bonsai's JBJ Picotope [3g] Journal

Bonsai

Reef Chicks

Jason, word of caution with clown gobies and SPS as well as LPS... they irritate the heck out of them! I've had my green banded goby kill quite a few specimens.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New FTS, including the brand new, custom 1/4" plate glass lids.

FTS with 2X18Watt Current USA Satellite

picotopeglasslid01es6.jpg

Angled shot of the lid ... a bit closer.

picotopeglasslid02qw9.jpg

Straight-on shot of the glass lid, showing the notch that was cut out in the back to accommodate the AC70.

picotopeglasslid03fp5.jpg

its perfect!!!!... i cant wait for mine.. ;);) how do you like the new light.. big difference huh.

im thinking about switching out my 10k for a 50/50 though.. give that more 20k look...

I bet you are loving that new light :)

Steve

Indeed - it's beautiful! Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. This tank is coming along nicely - now I just need to fill it with coral :)

Jason

Sexytime!

I added three little sexy shrimp to the Picotope today - and I snapped some photos a few minutes ago of these interesting little creatures. I'm a little concerned about the one who is hanging out by my Rics ... he hasn't moved too much since he was added to the tank a few hours ago. I guess I should give them some time :)

Sexy Ricordea Rock

sshrimp01vz2.jpg

Sexy Pissed Off GSP

sshrimp02kc1.jpg

Sexy Reflection

sshrimp03yf1.jpg

Borat Approves!

borat-sexy-time.jpg

YAAAAY man I love those things. be sure to join lalani's sexy shrimp club. they are really interesting and I love how thier tails move back and forth.

Steve

Sexytime!

I added three little sexy shrimp to the Picotope today - and I snapped some photos a few minutes ago of these interesting little creatures. I'm a little concerned about the one who is hanging out by my Rics ... he hasn't moved too much since he was added to the tank a few hours ago. I guess I should give them some time :)

Sexy Ricordea Rock

sshrimp01vz2.jpg

Sexy Pissed Off GSP

sshrimp02kc1.jpg

Sexy Reflection

sshrimp03yf1.jpg

Borat Approves!

borat-sexy-time.jpg

please make sure they are eating!!! I was under the impression my sexy was eating the food I was giving dropping the tank for him but it turned out he never left the rocks to get the food and the snails would eat it! Unfortunately I found this out too late... :(

i wish my lfs sold them

I actually got mine on sale drsfostersmith and delivered they were about 9 each.

Steve

please make sure they are eating!!! I was under the impression my sexy was eating the food I was giving dropping the tank for him but it turned out he never left the rocks to get the food and the snails would eat it! Unfortunately I found this out too late... :(

You have to feed them with tongs.

Yeah - I read that. Drs. F&S has forceps that will work well.

Awesome man! Sexies are sweet. I've got 5 Sexies in my Ricordia only Pico. Everyone that comes over and sees them is always totally capitivated by them. I wouldn't worry too much about 1 camping out by your rics. I had 2 that didn't leave a couple rics for a week or so. Just make sure its eating and he should come out when he's comfortable.

As far as feeding goes... You may want to start feeding with just tweezers. You might not even need forceps. I was going to buy some, but I only had to hand feed them the first 2 feedings. After that, they caught on to the smell of the food and always find the pellets themselves. I drop shrimp pellets in the water in their general area and they jump right on it. I've even dropped flake food in the water just to see their reaction, and again they pounce all over it.

I love this Picotope, but I can't say that I'm exceptionally happy with the coral's reaction to the tank thus far. I added three Rics a couple weeks ago, and they really haven't puffed up as larger as I had hoped. My Zoanthids seem to stay open most of the day, but sometimes I notice that they're closed ... although, they zoas have grown a few new polyps since they were introduced to the tank. Maybe it's a water quality issue?

I just did a water test, and here is what I came back with:

Salinity - 1.025

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 460

So everything, chemistry-wise, seems to be on par. I don't really understand it ... I top off every morning, and I have the glass lid, so my evaporation is very little (read: very small, if any, salinity swings).

Other than that, the temperature is always constant ... around 78 degrees. The lighting runs for about 11 hrs per day ...

My Rics at home, in my BioCube, are absolutely huge ... maybe I'm being impatient ... maybe these corals are still adjusting to their environment.

Anyone have a guess?

the life aquatic
I love this Picotope, but I can't say that I'm exceptionally happy with the coral's reaction to the tank thus far. I added three Rics a couple weeks ago, and they really haven't puffed up as larger as I had hoped. My Zoanthids seem to stay open most of the day, but sometimes I notice that they're closed ... although, they zoas have grown a few new polyps since they were introduced to the tank. Maybe it's a water quality issue?

I just did a water test, and here is what I came back with:

Salinity - 1.025

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Calcium - 460

So everything, chemistry-wise, seems to be on par. I don't really understand it ... I top off every morning, and I have the glass lid, so my evaporation is very little (read: very small, if any, salinity swings).

Other than that, the temperature is always constant ... around 78 degrees. The lighting runs for about 11 hrs per day ...

My Rics at home, in my BioCube, are absolutely huge ... maybe I'm being impatient ... maybe these corals are still adjusting to their environment.

Anyone have a guess?

My only guess, based on your good water parameters would be perhaps the 11 hour light cycle is too much...? I have mistakenly left my light on for too long once or twice (12-13 hours) and found that the corals don't like this. They need a proper daylight cycle which I would estimate is about 8-9 hours of direct sunlight, followed by 3-4 of ambient light, the rest for dark.

I have a question about you dual satellite. I want one, but the DR Foster/Smith site makes no mention of mounting legs such as those on your fixture. It says it comes with four rubber feet. Did you have to buy the legs separately? If so where did you get them and for how much? Are they adjustable (do they slide in and out to fit different size tops or are they fixed at a specific distance from one another...)

I'm having the same issues as you, lack of coral growth. My palys/zoa's never look all the way opened and I have a single mushroom that never seems to open all the way also.

Did you have to buy the legs separately? If so where did you get them and for how much? Are they adjustable (do they slide in and out to fit different size tops or are they fixed at a specific distance from one another...)

Mine came with the light and are adjustable.

In my Pico, the Zoa'sseem fine although the rics don't seem to be spreading out.

Just snapped a quick photo of a couple sexies having a GSP meeting. Third one is back there also ... to the right.

picosexyob1.jpg

I just picked up a Green Clown Goby from a fantastic gentleman in town - only $6! :)

The Goby is sort of freaked out right now and hiding ... hopefully he'll make an appearance later for a photo opportunity.

Archived