Cultivated Reef

IS IT BACK? Bonsai's JBJ Picotope [3g] Journal

Bonsai

IMO ..i dont see the need to upgrade the HOB from stock unlesss you just want more water capacity to your tank.. the stock pumps that come with them put out more than enough flow.. i have my stock pump toned down almost all the wayyy so it doesnt create a sand storm..... plus the HOB is Clear so the light penitrates through the side for the Chaeto..

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO ..i dont see the need to upgrade the HOB from stock unlesss you just want more water capacity to your tank.. the stock pumps that come with them put out more than enough flow.. i have my stock pump toned down almost all the wayyy so it doesnt create a sand storm..... plus the HOB is Clear so the light penitrates through the side for the Chaeto..

The AC70 is going to be a 'fuge ... so it helps to have the extra room. Plus, my heater can live back there and not take up precious room in the main tank.

I also noticed a nice sized bristol star fish this morning. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My Picotope is just over two weeks old now ... here are some update photos. As you can see, I have some ugly diatoms and hair algae at the moment ... they'll go away once the tank is through the cycle. You can also see a bit of the AC70 mod.

Full Tank Shot

pico01ts0.jpg

Whammin' Watermelon Zoa Frag from my BioCube

pico02pg7.jpg

Superman Mushroom - Really poor photo

pico03wz7.jpg

Stay tuned ...

Can i ask what water pump you have? i have the exact same tank set up and i was debated on whether or not to get one or just use my airstone.... and what model please? Oh and heater...my heater i used from a 10 gal tank made it SOOOOO HOT...i had to take it out and let natures heat do its work..stays at about 76 but when winter comes im going to need one...

Can i ask what water pump you have? i have the exact same tank set up and i was debated on whether or not to get one or just use my airstone.... and what model please? Oh and heater...my heater i used from a 10 gal tank made it SOOOOO HOT...i had to take it out and let natures heat do its work..stays at about 76 but when winter comes im going to need one...

The pump is actually the Aquaclear70 ... which I use as a 'fuge. I also have a small pump on the right to add flow ... made by Zoomed. My heater is the Stealth 25Watt :)

Reef Chicks

Nice tank. It looks like you are off to a great start. Where's the tank from and how much did it run you shipped? Lastly... is that my superman? It looks nice, but wait till it gets used to its new home... it'll open up huge! I lost all the others... :tears:

Great looking pico. I know this is totally off topic but i find it weird you added a pico to your desk before adding a bonsai :o:P

Nice tank. It looks like you are off to a great start. Where's the tank from and how much did it run you shipped? Lastly... is that my superman? It looks nice, but wait till it gets used to its new home... it'll open up huge! I lost all the others... :tears:

The tank is a Picotope, I bought it from Drs. Foster & Smith - I think it was like $37, and I had a $5 off coupon, so I think it was maybe $42 shipped?

And yes, that's your Superman Mushroom :) I have one in my BioCube, and the other I migrated to this new Picotope.

This tank will look really great once I start adding Ricordea in a couple weeks!

Jason

Great looking pico. I know this is totally off topic but i find it weird you added a pico to your desk before adding a bonsai :o:P

Tell me about it! My office doesn't have any windows to the outside ... so no bonsai for me :(

Reef Chicks

BTW, if you are interested in rics, I just got an awesome - totally awesome - deal on them from coralmorphologic. $100 for 10 + 2 freebies. I'll let you know how they turn out tomorrow. I am starting a ric garden for my sexies in a new 2.5 gallon pico.

Hi

Love the set up. Where did you get the Zoomed pump and how many gph does it pump? Debating adding a pump to my 3.6g Pico

Thx

Hi

Love the set up. Where did you get the Zoomed pump and how many gph does it pump? Debating adding a pump to my 3.6g Pico

Thx

Big Al's carries it under the product name "Zoo Micro Pump" :)

Here's a question for those of you running Picos with an AquaClear refugium...

Lets say I get the water level in the Picotope to within 1/4 inch of the top ... if the power gets cut to the AquaClear, is my tank going to overflow?

I am running the AC50 on my picotope for a fuge and I top off to about 1/4" or 3/8" from the top of the rim. When I turn off the filter it gets pretty close to the top of the tank. If I have to put my hand in, it spills over.

hey bonzia any reason your running your water level so Low?? ( as in your pics on previous page)

The reason was this: With the AC70 on the back, I was afraid when/if I lost power to the AC70's pump, I was afraid the water level would over flow the tank.

But I was talking to Fiction over PM about his Picotope, and he mentioned that he keeps his water level high enough so that if he needs to turn the pump off, he has to empty the tank by a cup in order for the water to not overflow.

I like the look of higher water, so here is what I did -- I turned the pump off and let the water in the AC70 backfill the tank and level off ... then I filled the tank so it was nearly full, and turned the pump back on.

Now my water runs about .5" to .25" below the top of the tank :)

I'm putting more coral in the tank this week - so I'll be sure to post updated shots .. you can see the new water level.

I also tossed a custom cut glass lid on it to minimize evaporation ... and it damn near eliminated the evaporation! :D

Jason

sweet dude... iilll be getting my JBJ soon. i have all the mod stuff for it already.. everything but the tank.. im tryin to find one without having to purchase the HOB and the light... what pump is that you have in the tank.... Is it really needed since you have the huge AC 70?? couldnt you just up the flow on the AC instead?? thanks ( im still disappointed in the frags i got )

Mike

sweet dude... iilll be getting my JBJ soon. i have all the mod stuff for it already.. everything but the tank.. im tryin to find one without having to purchase the HOB and the light... what pump is that you have in the tank.... Is it really needed since you have the huge AC 70?? couldnt you just up the flow on the AC instead?? thanks ( im still disappointed in the frags i got )

Mike

Who did you get disappointing frags from?

The little pump in the tank is just extra flow - it probably isn't completely necessary, but I like flow in my tanks :) The pump on the AC70 is way too much for the Picotope, so you can deal with that problem one of two ways:

1. Replace the AC70 impeller with the AC20 impeller (I did this)

2. The AC70 has an "adjustment" for flow ... you basically slide the plastic intake tube one way or the other -- but there is a problem, you can only go so far to the "minus" side, as there is a small piece of plastic that prevents you from pushing the tube all the way over. If you remove this little piece of plastic (I did this with scissors), you can greatly reduce the flow of the pump to your liking.

So - basically, to control the flow, I have the small pump ... then I replaced the AC70 impeller with the AC20 impeller and let it go almost full blast. Great flow that way!

I want the AC70 as I'm going to be using it a refugium ... right now, my Stealth 25W Heater lives in there right now, but I have Chaeto that I snipped from my 'fuge on my BC14 that I'll be adding this week.

Jason

sweet.. where do you get the AC20 Impellar.... so you replaced the Impellar and did the other thing with the plastic? what kind of pump is that small one you have???

ill be using mine as a fuge also.. i already have the light for it.. as seen in my Pico thread..

no so much dissappointed , but just was expecting them to be larger i guess.. id rather not put there name out, because they are a very well and reputable seller on here...

sweet.. where do you get the AC20 Impellar.... so you replaced the Impellar and did the other thing with the plastic? what kind of pump is that small one you have???

ill be using mine as a fuge also.. i already have the light for it.. as seen in my Pico thread..

no so much dissappointed , but just was expecting them to be larger i guess.. id rather not put there name out, because they are a very well and reputable seller on here...

You can buy the AC20 impellers ... they're like $7 or $10 depending on where you get them. The other pump is a "Zoo Med" Micro Pump from Big Al's.

Jason

You can buy the AC20 impellers ... they're like $7 or $10 depending on where you get them. The other pump is a "Zoo Med" Micro Pump from Big Al's.

Jason

I just got bought the pico to banish a bad clown fish. He is my oldest fish and my little puppy but he started almost killed my pj fish. He has been with me for 5 years and I could not give him to anyone. So the jail was bought....

I am surprised at how nice the tank is... Now I can have two reefs. Nano and Nano 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo Update Time!

I haven't added a ton of coral to this tank just yet - but here are some new shots to show off the stuff that I have added. Enjoy!

Full Tank Shot

picotope71adt2.jpg

Closer Up

picotope71brr5.jpg

Angle Shot - You can clearly see the custom glass lid in this shot.

picotope71cir2.jpg

GSP Rock

picotope71den2.jpg

Ricordea Rock

picotope71eij4.jpg

Jason

Photo Update Time!

I haven't added a ton of coral to this tank just yet - but here are some new shots to show off the stuff that I have added. Enjoy!

Full Tank Shot

picotope71adt2.jpg

Closer Up

picotope71brr5.jpg

Angle Shot - You can clearly see the custom glass lid in this shot.

picotope71cir2.jpg

GSP Rock

picotope71den2.jpg

Ricordea Rock

picotope71eij4.jpg

Jason

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Archived