Cultivated Reef

6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Reef (Soon to be 29 Gallon Reef)

clownfish1124

clownfish1124

i will be going home soon and will take picts soon. also, i might stop at home depot to buy some superglue!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clownfish1124

bought some super glue at homedepot, locitite gel. also tested params:

ph: 8.3

Ammonia: .50 ppm

Nitrite: 1 ppm

Will post picts of the corals tomorrow. for those of you who aren't clued in, they are in my fowlr with pc lighting temorarily

clownfish1124

Just a little update on the corals, the two leathers are in the sandbed with full extension and the xenias are in a netbreeder with a piece of live rock, hopefully they'll attach

clownfish1124

Params:

Ph: 8.2

Ammonia:0!!!

Nitrite:5

Nitrate: 0

About the corals, still acclimating, the xenias are in a net breeder b/c couldn't be put in the sandbed. the spaghetti leather is actually a neon green nephthea and the toadstool is fully adjusted. hopefully the corals will be in the main tank by the middle of the week when trites and trates are 0!

clownfish1124

Well, it's been two days... and i still haven't posted pics of the corals! i will be going home soon and will test params and maybe shoot some pics!

clownfish1124

Params:

Ammonia: 0

Ph: 8.0

Nitrite: .50

Didn't take pics b/c too tired, so will just wait until they are in the actual tank!

clownfish1124

As my cycle starts to come to the end, i will be adding my first corals very soon. The two leathers were in the sandbed and they now have a coating of sand on their "feet." i was wondering how i could superglue them. do i take the rock out of the tank, then superglue or do i just put superglue onto the sandy foot of the coral and stick it onto the rock in the water? i have loctite superglue gel. Also, the xenias in the net breeder have all attached to a piece of rock, but they aren't pulsing that much, just one or two stalks every 3-4 minutes. What's wrong, or should i not worry? Thank You everyone, Clownfish1124

clownfish1124

in a rush this morning, so ran a quick dip test strip b/c forgot to test last night, so here are the params:

Nitrate: 20

Nitrite:0

Ammonia:0

Ph: 6.4!!!

So i left the top open for major gas exchange!

clownfish1124

i have some pictures on page six, but do you mean the corals? yeah they closed up because a clown went a little too close... ill see what i can do tonight

clownfish1124
As my cycle starts to come to the end, i will be adding my first corals very soon. The two leathers were in the sandbed and they now have a coating of sand on their "feet." i was wondering how i could superglue them. do i take the rock out of the tank, then superglue or do i just put superglue onto the sandy foot of the coral and stick it onto the rock in the water? i have loctite superglue gel. Also, the xenias in the net breeder have all attached to a piece of rock, but they aren't pulsing that much, just one or two stalks every 3-4 minutes. What's wrong, or should i not worry? Thank You everyone, Clownfish1124

!BUMP! Hey guys, i really don't want to hurt the corals in the process...

Can we get some pics of the setup soon? Im looking forward to seeing how it looks, as I have seen the box for your tank at Petco and it looks long and thin.

clownfish1124

Sure Da! i will try my best to get decent pics out of my macbook cam... next project, finding my digital camera...

clownfish1124

PICS!!! TAKEN WITH A CRAPPY MACBOOK CAMERA!!!

hey, at least they are pics...

FTS:

Photo146-2.jpg

Size Comparison to my sick nasty enV:

Photo149-1.jpg

Coral Pics!!! Pardon the fake corals and algae...

Finger Leather or Nephthea?

Photo150.jpg

Toadie that is starting to open up again:

Photo151.jpg

The Xenias weren't cooperating, so couldn't take a pic. Sorry.

And Finally Params:

Ph: got it up to 7.4...

Nitrate: between 5 and 10 ppm

Didn't test trites or Ammonia

Thank you all and enjoy!

Not bad at all, I like the opening over to the left that stuff can cruise through. Wut kinda light did you decide to run over it?

clownfish1124

40 watts of pc, but didn't keep on for the pics, just used room lights, and i don't like keeping lights on during the cycle anyways because promotes algae growth. also, i had to take the cover off of the tank because of my extremely low ph. does anyone know why it's so low? Temp is 78 all the time...

clownfish1124

THE CYCLE IS DONE!!!

Ph: 7.9, hopefully will be around 8.2 tonight

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite:0

Sg: 1.022

Planning on doing a 40-50% water change with higher sg water to raise the sg. also left the tank cover off of the tank to raise the ph. Also i will be adding the corals today, pics on pg 7!!! if they survive, i will be going up to hidden reef to buy frags in two weeks, and also a cuc, see pg 6 or 7. Now i will ask the question for the 4thish time: DO CLEANER SHRIMPS EAT ALGAE??? if they don't i will prolly look into sexies...

clownfish1124

ive decided i will move the corals tomorrow. im just too tired and its pretty late; i went to see a fireworks show. anyways, i will comfortably to the move tomorrow!

clownfish1124

IT"S DONE! i've finally added the corals to the tank! the xenias started pulsing as soon as they got in the tank, and the spaghetti leather started to expand soon after. the toadie fell in the flow, so i moved it. it hopefully will acclimate and start to expand soon. will post pics tomorrow or Sunday when the corals are fully acclimated!

clownfish1124

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! well the toadie is starting to open up again and the xenias couldn't be happier but my spaghetti finger leather doesn't look that great. it was in the right corner of my tank with very low flow. it looked like it was wilting this morning so i moved it to a place with more flow. also this was without the lights on, photo-period is from 9-9.

You might want to check dKh, Ca and Mg just to get a reading and help understand the low PH.

clownfish1124

well i took the top off for 5 ish days to get the ph back up to 8.2 so ph isn't a problem. I will try to get out and buy more tests for dKh, Ca, and Mg this weekend. other than that, do you think i should add coralife liquid gold? this is mainly for baugherb.

clownfish1124

didn't take pictures because my leather fell, so i had to move it. also, the toadie looks like it's "peeling" im assuming it's shedding or whatever to release toxins, etc. neway, the xenia closed up when i took the lights off to move the finger leather, but they look like a huge colony already, just because i made them all attach to one rock. they look really cool. ill post picts tomorrow!

clownfish1124

well this morining, the toadie fell! so it was really pissed so i had to move it and take the lights off of the tank to move it and, that's right you guessed it, all the corals closed up! so i will try to take picts tonight!

Archived