Innovative Marine Aquariums

6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Reef (Soon to be 29 Gallon Reef)

clownfish1124

clownfish1124

just tested my params:

ph: 7.9!

Ammonia: unknown color; using aquarium pharmaceuticals saltwater test kit, and the color was lime green! will definitly test again

Didn't bother to test nitrite or nitrate

Sg: 1.024

Edit: Ammonia is .50 ppm. was just comparing to a different card... stupid me!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clownfish1124

Well, now that i have my rock in the tank cycling, i can talk Clean-up Crew, more commonly known as C-U-C or the little animals that eat up the brown and green stuff :lol: What snails are the best for cleaning up algae on the rocks and glass, even though i have a mag-float so glass isn't that much of a problem. Also i don't want any crabs b/c my last ones ate all of my snails and 1/2 of the other crabs. Also, i would like a cleaner shrimp. Do they actually clean algae, or just parasites off of fish? Also, i have heard rainford gobies eat algae as well and they are very colorful. Do you think i could get two and there wouldn't be any territory wars or overstocking if i drop getting the clown? Thanks so much, Clownfish1124.

P.S. I saw some green algae growing on my rock today!

clownfish1124

Hey guys! still waiting on cuc stuff, but tested water today:

ph: 8.4

ammonia: between 1 and 2 ppm!

also, what about the gobies? two rainfords? or could i do a banggai cardinal and a rainford?

Thank you all, Clownfish1124

clownfish1124
Well, now that i have my rock in the tank cycling, i can talk Clean-up Crew, more commonly known as C-U-C or the little animals that eat up the brown and green stuff :lol: What snails are the best for cleaning up algae on the rocks and glass, even though i have a mag-float so glass isn't that much of a problem. Also i don't want any crabs b/c my last ones ate all of my snails and 1/2 of the other crabs. Also, i would like a cleaner shrimp. Do they actually clean algae, or just parasites off of fish? Also, i have heard rainford gobies eat algae as well and they are very colorful. Do you think i could get two and there wouldn't be any territory wars or overstocking if i drop getting the clown? Thanks so much, Clownfish1124.

P.S. I saw some green algae growing on my rock today!

BUMP...

clownfish1124

if anyone still cares, will test params when i get home today. Ok, maybe that was a little harsh. Anyways, WHAT ABOUT THE CUC AND THE INHABITANTS??? might change my mind on the Rainsford gobies and get a firefish instead.So, could i get a firefish and cardinal, or just one or the other.

Firefish are notorious jumpers, and in such a shallow, small tank, it's probably not a good fish to have.

Otherwise a curious tank, I do love shallower tanks versus the tall ones. I'll be eagerly lurking.

clownfish1124

THANK YOU CEDAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it felt awkward talking to myself back there... anyways, i have an acrylic lid and it keeps the tank fairly closed except for in the back where there is the filter, but there is a strong current. What about a six line wrasse? and the cuc?

I would caution against the Six Line. They usually require 10g tanks or larger to thrive. You might consider a pair of gobies, or perhaps some damsels. You might also get away with a single clown fish. Have you looked at the Beginner's Forum? There's a handy guide for stocking fish in tanks there.

As for your CUC, that's up to you, really. A nice mix of snails, perhaps. Or you could go invert with a mix of small hermits. Or a little of both. You won't need much, since your tank is only 6.6g.

You could always do an invert/coral tank and not have fish. You could try some of the larger crabs or a handful of Sexy Shrimp. Lots of options, depending on what you want to happen.

clownfish1124

Thank you for all of your help cedar! here's what i got

Inhabitants:

For cuc: 1-2 cleaner shrimp and 6-8 snails, which would you guys reccomend?

For corals: kenya tree, xenia, mushies, zoas, and maybe a monti cap at the highest point (1.5-2 inches from surface).

For fish: maybe a yellow clown goby if i can find one that wont get lost in the tank (1-1.5 inches)

And this maintenance:

Change 3/4 gallon each week

Top off every day when needed: right now none required because tank is same temp as room it's in

add coralife liquid gold every two days

test params every 2-4 weeks

change carbon and eventually purigen every month

change bulbs every 6 months

Once again thank you, Clownfish1124

Not a problem ^^

Let's see, the Monti is pushing it. I can't imagine it will thrive unless you have some good lighting on this thing. 1 Cleaner Shrimp at most, 2 is too many. 6 snails sounds alright. A mix of Nass, Cerite and Turbos, maybe. What species were you looking at? Yellow Clown Goby would be a good choice, but be sure you get one that eats. There's been alot of problems with those little fish not eating lately.

Water Change sounds good. Top-Off will come eventually. Do you have a heater on the tank? What is it set to? I dunno what that Liquid Gold is, so you're on your own there. You might want to test more often in the beginning. Weekly for 4 or 5 months perhaps, then go twice a month. Carbon change is good, and bulb change is good. I'm not sure exactly what light you have, it may be able to go longer than 6 months.

My coice for a CUC would be a few Atrea snails (3-4), 2 Ceriths, and a Nasarius snail. Add in a hermit or two also. I have found Emerald crabs useful for algae removal, especially bubble, but have had a few that were either useless, or argressive.

One cleaner shrimp will be enough for that tank. Peppermint or Skunk cleaner would work well. Blood shrimp might be ok, but the tank might be a little small (mine is getting quite big).

clownfish1124

Thanks everyone! the reason i don't want crabs is because they killed all of my other snails in my past nano cube. so 4 astrea, 2 cerith, and 1 nass snail will be good. also i will get 1 skunk cleaner shrimp bc don't like peppermints and are a little cheaper than bloods.

Cedar, bulb wise, im using 2 20 watt coralife pc screw ins. also, another person on the site keeps montis under pc in his 5.5 and they have grown a lot in a year. also, he uses the liquid gold and with his results with the montis, it seems to be a good product. also i have a tetra 50 watt preset heater to 78.

If you are considering adding a Yellow Watchman, you should look into the Pistol Shrimp. The Pistol shrimp has a symbiotic relationship with the Watchman Goby, often sharing a burrow. I am considering adding a pistol shrimp to my tank which already has a Yellow Watchman. If you are leaning towards having a coral/invert only tank, then you should look into Harlequin shrimp and Sexy shrimp. Both of these shrimps are animated little characters that could easily surpass the satisfaction of fish. I have a harlequin shrimp in my mom's 3 gallon Pico I set up for her. Their eating habits are unusual, as the harlequin shrimp will only feed on starfishes. Monthly I add a Chocolate Chip Star and have the delight of watching the 1 inch Harlequin flip over a 5 inch starfish and devour him from the inside out. Sexy shrimp are very small and you could add as many as 3 to your reef.

clownfish1124

thank you for the advice on the shrimp and goby! i think i wil probably get a clown goby and maybe some sexies. if not, i'll get a skunk cleaner. what do the sexies require for diet, etc? ill probably get 3-5, depending on cost

gosh you've come a long wayyy! lol :P ...tank looks great though! .....i just finished my cycle in my 20L about 3 days ago and i just wanted to suggest which snails to get: i bought 2 astreas 2 nass 2 trochus 2 ceriths and 2 red scarlet hermits to see which was best

the astreas absolutely are the best cleaners

then cerith & trochus

then nass

...i want to get some nerite though as ive heard they are pretty good too .....the crabs havent done much that i can tell but they are pretty small

clownfish1124

Someone we know just left us 5 soft coral frags because they tore down their tank and had some leftovers from selling. so, i just got 3 xenia, 1 spaghetti leather, and one toadstool leather! i will be keeping them in my fowlr, which has compact florescent light, temporarily. will post picts when the settle into their temporary home!

Archived