SaltCritters.com

6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Reef (Soon to be 29 Gallon Reef)

clownfish1124

clownfish1124

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a Petco bookshelf aquarium. I have all of the necessary equipment except for the lighting. I would like to keep a multitude of soft corals (leathers, especially toadstools, xenia, etc) as well as a few zoo's and mushrooms. I have narrowed down lighting choices to t5 lighting because it is fairly narrow. the dimensions are approximately 24"x8"x9". The lighting fixtures i am looking at are the current nova 48 watt fixture and the coralife 28 watt fixture. Thanks so much for the help, Clownfish1124

Oh yeah, I have a little more than a year's experience in the saltwater hobby. I have a 29 gallon fowlr as well as 3 freshwater cichlid aquariums.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
circusordie16

i built a glass tank with almost the same dimensions as that after seeing people post about it here. i went with the T5 retrofit because i wanted to keep some more demanding stuff but if you dont want sps then id go with the nova fixture as it should be plenty of light for softies.

clownfish1124

Thanks so much. talk about the irony... i was just looking at your 5 gallon long. i might eventually get some sps, maybe a birdsnest or acropora. i can get most corals from a family friend for very cheap to free! if so will about 7 wpg with the t5 work to keep them happy?

clownfish1124

Also could i get a small fish? i would love a misbarred clownfish in this tank. it is fairly long and the clown would only grow to about 2 inches. Thanks!

Icecat goalie

COngrats on the new tank purchase i have the nova extreme on my 30 gallon long and it is fantastic i love it but i would go with 2 of them if u want sps even if you went with some softies like zoos or high light leathers you would need 2

Also in a tank that long you could keep a SMALL fish i believe that clown would be fine never heard of it tho so i can't really help on that part

Zack

clownfish1124

Thanks! The clown is pretty much an ocellaris clown and it's middle stripe isn't a full stripe, Here's a pic:P51386.jpg

Wait that didn't work. here it is again:

P51386.jpg

Ok it isnt loading. go on google images then type in misbar clownfish. it is the first one

and one more thing: could i skip the sps for now then buy that fixture and get a toadstool leather coral and put it at the highest point in the aquarium so it get's the highest intensity light? ive seen a toadstool leather grown in a 5 gal minibow with a current powerbrite fixture!

clownfish1124

Anyone?

Also, i am contemplating over my cuc. do scarlet cleaner shrimp eat algae and diatoms? i don't want any crabs because they ate all of my snails in my 29 gallon. also i would like 2 astrea snails and 2 nassarius snails. Thanks for your replies, Clownfish1124

Hey clowny, I got a happy toady in my JBJ pico and it only has 9 watts of light! Forgot to metion that in my reply to you on my thread. I'd like to put an 18w (I think the 18 would be fine at 6w/gal) or 36w Current Satelite on it, but I have already spent a fortune on my nano and I think I need to spend my next dollars on my wife :-)

Always Symbiotic....

clownfish1124

AFter all family comes before fish!

Ha ha clowny, i like that!

Thanks so much. Now i know i will get a toadstool leather, xenia, mushrooms, and a few zoas. any others yall would reccomend?

Given that the tank is so shallow, the 24" Current USA Nova 24w x2 T5 HO fixture should be perfect. I have it, it you want a brighter light if you want to keep lps and sps than consider the 24" GLO 24w x2 T5 HO fixture, I have that also and it's brighter than the Current because it has a bigger concave reflector. Both run quite cool so that's a bonus in keeping tank temps in check.

clownfish1124

Thanks sandeep! i think i will be setting up the aquarium in early june, so i'll consider the glo as well as the nova. Also what should i do about the cleanup crew?

I've got the same tank you have with the current T5HO light and it's worked great for the last six months. I would recommend pulling out the cheap clear plastic cover and replacing it with something more custom. I'll try to post a picture of mine when get home tonight.

Good luck

OK: For those who don't know the Watts Per Gallon rule is useless. T-5s are close to halides when used with individual reflectors. A retro-fit is your best option for this. Also T-5 HO over 24" should be 24w not 18w. For this tank though i think you should go with the two T-5 system 48w of T-5 is still better than 48w of PC.

A clownfish would also be just fine. Make sure you get some extra water movement though like a maxi-jet 900 or 600. I would say NO on the SPS, they might live but they will not thrive.

clownfish1124

Thank you so much! have any of you heard of the 40watt vho t5? could i get that with the current 24"? Also, the tanks are pretty solid b/c they are one piece. unless they crack, i don't see how they could leak.

T-5 VHO only works with an icecap 430 or 660 ballast. They overdrive the T-5 bulbs and thus produce more light. I would say a T-5 fixture like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~Sea...dor~~tab~2.html

would be fine but you would need to replace the ballast.

A retro fit like this would be at least 2x the light output maybe even 3x.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluore...Bulbs_by_IceCap

that is your best bet for the most light.

Also this would be better than the Current

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluore...Bulbs_by_IceCap

you would have to build a little canopy but it is very easy to do. Also the wiring is very easy.

clownfish1124

The problem is im not that handy with tools. in woodshop i was scared of the drill press and recently one of my friends cut himself on a bansaw. ouch. what about this... <http://cgi.ebay.com/new-T5ho-T5-ho-24-2-lamp-aquarium-Light_W0QQitemZ120262909554QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ

ViewItem>

i know it's from ebay, but it doesn't look like it's odyssea/jebo...

Thanks!

clownfish1124

That's the one! i guess since others have it i will think about buying it. 50$ shipped is a price hard to beat!

The only leaking I've run into was creep where water gets pushed under the black trim at the top. It's not that much, but a small amount of silicone inside the trim might do wonders for that.

clownfish1124

Thanks for the advice! And they aren't crappy, yes they do scratch easily but if you take proper care of them, they are great tanks and there are some amazing ones out there!

People simply bash for the sake of bashing without any basis like first hand experience.

You can probably count a lot more postings here about AGA tanks cracking or leaking (including a recent Tank of Month 5.5gal AGA tank leaking) yet you don't see anyone bashing AGA tanks.

acrylic tanks (other than diy acrylics) are one piece construction, hence one of the advantage is no seams. Like another post here mention, the leak is over the top, and any tank will leak over the top if you overfill it. It is not a product issue but a user error issue that can occur with any tank.

clownfish1124

Thanks for the support! now for my cuc, do you think i could get 6-7 astrea or bumblebee snails and 1-2 cleaner shrimp? Thanks!

clownfish1124

Hey Everyone! i just confirmed i will setup this aquarium either this sunday or next sunday! i'll keep you posted!

Archived