Coral Vue Hydros

Advice on Clam Price

TheUnfocusedOne

TheUnfocusedOne

So im gonna get one, im plannin on getting a calcium test kit on friday, doin a water change n testing

im then gonna buy a clam from my lfs

heres the thing though

hes gonna sell me a small clam for $40, n i mean pretty small. its probably about 2" at most, which yes i know everything that comes with a small clam

the clam is also pretty plainly blue, its just blue, no cool patterns or nethig

my question is

is this a good deal?

will it color up later?

should i get a clam from somewhere else?

TheUnfocusedOne

ha, thanks for your straightforwardness uh

well, i need somewhere good to get a clam then

if anyone knows any places in ct that sells em let me know

also any good online places would be nice

id rather not do that, as i dont wanna pay more for shippin as i do for the clam

+1 on zoanuts and cherrycorals.

also check out liveaquaria in the divers den. they have nice specimens.

and also atlantisaquarium.net the few they have are generally very nice.

TheUnfocusedOne
fragglereef has some nice crocea clams for $19 plus shipping

yeah but thier shipping is $34, i mean thats almost double the cost of the clam

Urchinhead

You're welcome. Don't forget clams direct either. And you will face a shipping issue because they are live and fragile animals so you want them to get there fast. If you are local to Socal PM me and I will point you to some LFS' that have better clams for better prices.

UH

TheUnfocusedOne

yeah look like id be better off just finding somewhere around here that sells salt

or some one could help me out n frag me a piece of clam?

i mean, you can frag just about anything cant you? :P

Extreme Corals. If you buy one of their "new arrivals" you can add a clam for $7.99. Not sure where you are located. They are Arlington Texas. Dallas/Fort Worth suburb. They have local pickup or they will ship.

TheUnfocusedOne

yeah so im not getting a clam, not now atleast

i was talking to the dude n i said, u know i think im might try a sps frag

next thing i know, i got 5 frags for $20

kinda more then i wanted, but i figured some will die probably, or i could sell em to someone

TheUnfocusedOne
wow thats a lot of sps for $20 are they clippings or nice pieaces and what types did you get?

ha, i have no idea

some are bleaching a lil but still have polyp extension

they are all kinda the same color

i mean its not like the best deal ever as far as varity, but as a starter pack its not back

• 1 month later...

you can hassle them for a cheaper price.

wat kind of clam is it? did you ask?

the clams at my lfs sells for i think $35 for a small before but i think its higher now. they had hundreds before. they were croceas. i wanted a maxima...another lfs near me sold a small maxima for $40...

if you really want to save money find some local reefers. they'll sell it for dirt cheap. trying to get a friend to get me some rics and clams. he said rics will less then $8 a pop. clams im not sure if its lower then $30 im happy.

You're welcome. Don't forget clams direct either. And you will face a shipping issue because they are live and fragile animals so you want them to get there fast. If you are local to Socal PM me and I will point you to some LFS' that have better clams for better prices.

UH

Id say they got the best

• 4 weeks later...

wait untill sunday for Fraggle reef to update then place a $200+ order with a few friends and get free shipping me and urchin head are in there all the time and they have nice clams and online it is all WYSIWYG.

when i went to a fragswap i got a really nice t.maxima for like 35$ and i think it was totally worth it.

might want to try a local swap if there are any

Archived