Cultivated Reef

Easy way to distinguish btwn Crocea and Maxima?

colberag

If you see a young (2'') clam in a LFS, how can you tell if it is a Crocea or a Maxima or something else? Just curious because I want to make sure I don't end up accidently buying a clam that will get huge.

And before anybody responds with "Just look at the label" - i looked at the label when I bought my "Royal Gramma" when I first started, which turned out to be a bicolor dottyback (that was before my NR.com days, I would never make that mistake now :P )

BKtomodachi

At 2", though, it is tough. Even squamosa can be difficult to distinguish at such a small size. All tridacnids will have scutes like mature maximas until they are maybe 1.5" or so.

agreed with bk, at 2" both the max and croc might have scutes. the crocs typically wear them down to smooth when they burrow into the rock. they can develop pretty pronounced scutes too ime.

maybe you can tell by comparing the byssal opening (if you can see them/pick them up). the croc's byssal opening is more pronounced for its size than a max's. e.g. a 2" croc's byssal opening might be the size of a 4" max's.

but it's tough to ID at that tiny size.

My croceas have some very pronounced scutes, so that isn't a very good way to tell, IMO.

The easiest way to tell, IMO, is to look at the shape of the shell from the side. Maximas look a little more elongated along the axis of the underside of the shell, where the byssal opening is. Croceas look "fatter" and less stretched along that axis. I'm not sure if my description is making sense, but if you look at a crocea and a maxima side by side, you would see what I mean.

Reef Goddess

Maximas tend to have symmetrical patterns (spots, lines, etc) on their mantle compared to croceas and more scalloped/circular mantles. Croceas often have fleshy protrusions from their mantle and a soft wavy shaped mantle.

Croceas

clam3.jpg

ccoatsclam_400.JPG

Maximas

DSCF0007.JPG

Good thread because I thought I bought a Crocea and I think I have a Maxima. Whatever it is it's doing really well so I guess it doesn't matter.

• 1 month later...

croceas tend to have more ripples on their mantle, and if you look in their mouth you can see their guts. they tend to be more oblong too.

Archived