Pod Your Reef

Lalani's Pico Upgrade

Lalani

Uh-oh.

Abandon all hope of ever slipping anything past her. :scarry: Better work on another strategy.

FWIW, I didn't get my first SLR until ... we'd been married about 10 years. 'Course we were married young. And I recall money was tight. So maybe instead of looking at Lalani's pictures and saying "what do I need to do that" Look at your camera and tank and figure out "what can I do with this?" I'm sure there are some great pictures in the camera you have and you just need to figure out how to get them out of there. It's not always easy, but you have a huge advantage with digital technology over film. Also when you're competing with Lalani... Isn't she a pro? I'm sure my equipment could take pictures as nice as hers, but I'm still developing the skills she has already mastered.

That said, the capabilities of a digital SLR are IMO an order of magnitude beyond what most P&S cameras are capable of, between the larger sensor, better optics, faster AF and so on. Of course none of that comes free, but IMO is well worth the expenditure once it fits in the budget.

Good luck with your photography!

-hank

That is good advice, but I think maybe you've misinterpreted Amber and my "arguing". My wanting an SLR has nothing to do with Lalani's photos (although they are absolutely AMAZING), as I am still a complete noob to photography. I wanted an SLR before we even got my current camera, but Amber and I made a compromise, which we both realize was an ill-conceived idea. (Our arguments now are just us pestering each other and goofing off with Lalani until we find a refurb or used DSLR in our budget range.)

That said, I love the camera I have now, but not its limitations...in 6 months I've taken more than 25,000 images and am very happy with many of them (enough to post them in photography forums, at least), but I've hit walls that can't be overcome with a simple P&S including lens issues and camera lag. Those are the issues that lead me to SLR cameras, along with the simple wish to be able to improve my own skills with a camera that will give me a challenge.

I'm not sure how you've gotten the impression that I'm in any way trying to "compete with Lalani", except in a battle of wits (of which she will surely win), but please take it as nothing more than silly banter and pestering between my wife and I over something that we both agree is a good idea :)

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^yeah what he said  :D:lol:

Thats good Lalani.  I can understand that worry what with all the tornadoes we had while I was growing up.  Still gonna pray for you and all the others though, no one needs to be put through anymore.

I'm not sure how you've gotten the impression that I'm in any way trying to "compete with Lalani",
Compete was a poor choice of words on my part. More like "trying to take pictures like those." And it appears that you are already much further along than I had gleaned from the thread so as Emily Litella once (?) said, "Never Mind." ;)

-hank

PS Apologies for continuing to take Lalani's tank thread even further off course, but I think She started it! B)

PPS Now is not the time to buy a generator, but once the weather settles...

The wind isn't even blowing here and we lost electricity for 3 hours.......

That happens here occasionally only its caused by people sneaking out of their apartments in the middle of the night so they don't have to pay the next months rent.  Across one of the entry ways is an electrical line that is hung to low, so anytime something like a U-haul goes under it we loose power because it catches on the top of the truck. :( Stupid people  :angry:

Compete was a poor choice of words on my part. More like "trying to take pictures like those." And it appears that you are already much further along than I had gleaned from the thread so as Emily Litella once (?) said, "Never Mind." ;)

-hank

Eh, I act like a goofball moreso than I am I suppose :P Like I said, I'm still a relative noob and have plenty to learn still, so I can certainly still appreciate the advice. But yeah, it's not *just* whining (yes Lalani, I know...whaaa whaaa) :)

Anyhoo....to get back on track...sorry to hear about another power outage...hopefully that doesn't keep up. Glad to see Ike moved further west of you guys though - looks like a nasty storm. Don't know how well LA could have made it through a second round.

Just read your entire thread, I almost feel off topic posting about the tank now :). Nice job! I dig the simplicity of it and the fact that you have not felt the need for halide, i think that halide is far overused on nanos.

I have no tanks now but had a 55 Reef years back and had a firefish in it, I really liked him, definitely a favorite, but he WILL jump tank without a cover. Maybe a clown goby?

Your photos are out of this world, amazing quality! Do you do any post processing to them? Every so often I borrow my dad's 20d when my wife and I vacation and it is a huge difference, he has all the lenses for it and everything. I want a 40d now, and might get one for x-mas as the wifey is more into this stuff than me. Truth be told though, for 95% uses, the little canon PandS is fine and pocketable.

On another off-topic note that might sound sexist. I think it is great that there are so many female reefers on this site. It seems reef central is very male dominated. What is it about nano's that draw the female crowd? I also notice that the female posters on this site keep the male arguments in check sometimes :) I guess sometimes the internet is like real life!

Hank- Haha, seems like you and Daniel both misunderstood eachother. ;)

No problemo with the threadjacking, like I said, I don't mind it at all. And yes, I did start it....... wait.... I did??

Amber- Can't stand people who do things like that! Sorry you guys have to deal with that, but you'll be moving into a house soon, right? fingerscrossed

Daniel- Goofball... understatement....

I'll stop picking on ya, promise. ;)

Yeah, If Ike would have hit any farther East, we would have some serious tree damage again... Dodged a bullet this time, but at the expense of those in Texas.. :(

charlesgage- Haha, thank you! I've never been a fan of halides, too inefficient for a nano in my opinion.

Yeah, I would be worried about a firefish jumping and I don't want to screen the top of the tank... Mom did take a liking to YWGs, I wonder if this tank would give one enough room?

The only post processing I do to my photos would include a small list:

Resize

Slight level adjustments

Shadow/highlights to lighten dark shadows

Sharpen

Crop (rarely)

Clone (rarely for hotpixels and such)

Save for web

And I don't think that is a sexist thing to say, it's the truth. This tends to be a male dominated hobby, but isn't everything that doesn't have to do with knitting or cleaning? :P

I'm attracted to nano tanks because they are easier to care for, in my opinion. End of story!

I think some men continue to have the belief that 'bigger is better' when talking about tanks... :lol: It could also be that men are more competitive. Who knows?

I don't know why other ladies are interested in nanos, so I'm not even going to guess on that.

Looking grrreat. Hey when you shoot do you shoot through the glass or did you make an acrylic "shooting box"? What kind of prep do you do on the glass before you shoot?

I shoot through the glass. I would like to make one of those viewing boxes, but every time I would use them, I would have to move light fixtures out of the way and whatnot.... and I'm lazy. :P

No prep work on the glass, unless it's really dirty.. then I would clean with a magfloat and if the outside is dirty, clean with a microfiber cloth. :)

awesome yet creepy pics.
Haha...ditto! :lol::o

Lol, thanks you two. :P

Nice eunicid worm pic!

Thanks! Despite what most say, my eunice worms tend to be pretty docile. :)

it's ugly yet.. I can't stop staring at it :blink:

great pics as always :D

Haha, thanks. :P

Well I started reading this thread and somewhere along the way I stopped reading because I couldn't wait to get to the next set of pictures. They are incredible, the tank look great too.

Archived