Coral Vue Hydros

R.I.P. - Bluesky's Red Sea Max Experience -

bluesky

Skimmer Update:

My skimmer seems fine. So, I took it out and change the magnet location to the wider side of the skimmer. Man, that is a piece of work. I have to use a hacksaw to cut it loose and then super glue it to the other side ... not a very good job, but I did not damage the skimmer. I decided to just use one magnet because it seems strong enough to hold it. I did not want to glue another magnet too close to the pump...

The super glue is still curing after 30 hours now ... I should have used the epoxy that Steve suggested, but then ... I did not have any and it was 11 pm when I made this mod ... I hope tunze can just give us the magnets and we mount it ourselves ...

Yes, I am going to install the media basket now that I got the skimmer ready ... more updates later

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Review of Tunze 9002 skimmer installation:

*PROS:*

1) it skims properly in a very short period of time (within 12 hours for me)

2) the single magnet holds the skimmer nicely after moving from the narrow wall to the wide wall on the skimmer. There is no need to add another magnet.

3) You can lower the skimmer enough so that the back compartment lid can be closed

4) Not noisy

*CONS:*

1) This is a major nightmare ... you cannot open the hood properly without hitting the skimmer's collection cup. I open the hood all the time ... so this is a major bummer ... I have remove the collection cup before I can open the hood. It could be the placement of my skimmer ... but I think the water level is perfect and its nicely dial in within a few hours :)

2) I still have some micro bubbles ... but it should go away in a few days ... typical problem of all new skimmers ...

Overall, I think the skimmer works great. Fit into the back of the RSM compartment nicely ... if you need to open the hood a lot ... I wonder what other alternatives you may have ... but in terms of performance ... you can beat this.

So, I will recommend this skimmer mod to other RSM owners ...

• 3 weeks later...

Love your tank man! I really like the xenia growing up top. The silver tip also pulses correct? Do you ever supplement iodine for the xenia? I'd really like to get some but I think I'm going to wait for my tank to age a little its currently only around 3 months old

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello nano-reef.com reefers and RSM friends:

Thank you all for your support throughout the years ... I had a lot of fun. I am declaring a RIP for my Bluesky RSM Experience. My RSM cracked on its own (from top to bottom) while I was on vacation for 2 days and I now have 30 gallons of water on my carpet and all dead corals and fish ... it is a devastating experience. I am exiting the hobby for now ... but I will come back once in a while to look at your beautiful tank pictures.

Steve, thank you for everything ... all the knowledge, Media Basket and etc ... I had a lot of fun and I learnt a lot from you.

Cheers!!!

Bluesky.

that really sux. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy a bare RSM without any of the pums,etc for under 200 dlls. Give Pinky a call and tell her what happened.... if it is less than a year old, you could possibly get a FREE replacement tank.

that really sux. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy a bare RSM without any of the pums,etc for under 200 dlls. Give Pinky a call and tell her what happened.... if it is less than a year old, you could possibly get a FREE replacement tank.

I am not going to get a RSM again even if it is free ... the glass can't really crack like that especially when no one is even at home to touch it ... I just don't trust the quality anymore. I have only heard of tank cracked like that for lower quality tanks like Jxxx etc ... but i did not know a high end tank can do that too ...

If anyone could give me some ideas how the glass could just crack, that will be great. I had the tank running for 1 yr and 8 months. I guess this is a learning experience ... sigh ...

please dont give up. you still have working parts and rock left over dont you? Set up a small ada tank and you'll be glad you did. Trust me

Sorry bro for your tank. Like most have said don't give up too for too long. Your tank was nice. Never know you could just get something small for the time being. Anyway good luck with future tanks!

Sorry buddy, this is a big loss. I hope that you get back into the hobby but if not I understand. After talking with many reefers it is not uncommon to have a few setbacks along the way.

please dont give up. you still have working parts and rock left over dont you? Set up a small ada tank and you'll be glad you did. Trust me

I have to throw away all the rocks because they looked dry and my corals melted on them so it stinks like crazy ... I still have 2 running tanks in the garage (20g and 5g) that is already full. I don't want to put the rock in those tank and crash them too.

It's a sign ... I should start working on the 100g now ... jk ... thanks for the encouragement ... I will start it again ... but probably not with a glass tank =)

Sorry buddy, this is a big loss. I hope that you get back into the hobby but if not I understand. After talking with many reefers it is not uncommon to have a few setbacks along the way.

I still love the hobby ... it is just a shocker ... and I really need to change my carpet first and ride through this bad economy before I start again ... at that time ... I am hoping for a 55g at least =) I will be asking for your Media Basket v10.x =)

Sorry to hear that .Man that is really scary .Has this ever occured with anyone elses redsea max.I have one and now im a bit nervous of something like this happening to mine in the future

Yes, this has happend with other RSM tanks. And it has happend since the start of glass fish tanks. It is pretty rare, but can happen. I think when the nano cubes came out they cracked all the time! The percentage today is very low.

sorry for your loss. :tears: and im about to purchase a rsm in the next month or so :scarry: ....gulp!

lol i got mine so far its fine.... but every time you go away on vacation you lose sumin

I am not going to get a RSM again even if it is free ... the glass can't really crack like that especially when no one is even at home to touch it ... I just don't trust the quality anymore. I have only heard of tank cracked like that for lower quality tanks like Jxxx etc ... but i did not know a high end tank can do that too ...

If anyone could give me some ideas how the glass could just crack, that will be great. I had the tank running for 1 yr and 8 months. I guess this is a learning experience ... sigh ...

So sorry to hear about your loss!

As far as how a tank like that can crack after a year and 8 months:

- there was stress in the glass and it finally released....not highly likely in this situation

- the only new thing was the addition of your Tunze skimmer....did you allow the magnets to come together too hard?

this may have stressed the glass and it released when you were not home....where exactly did it crack? These magnets are very strong and hard to control... I am very careful when I use the Tunze cleaner magnets on our glass tank.

Take a deep breath and go on with life....we only have a short time here.

Regards,

nanoskim

I just started reading your thread today. Very sorry to read about this - probably everyone's worst nightmare. I hope you get back into the hobby when you're ready.

Just another thought on a possible cause although maybe not very likely - I have heard of rocks falling over due to fish burrowing, or just slipping over time causing a rock slide. Possibly a rock fell into the glass causing a crack?

Archived