SaltCritters.com

R.I.P. - Bluesky's Red Sea Max Experience -

bluesky

you could add another tomato clown, but watch out, they get up to 5" adult size so keep that in mind when adding any other fish. Keep your bioload low

dump the tang, it can hurt your tank with such a large bio load and it needs much more room to swim

the rose anemone should be added to a mature tank with medium to high lighting

Yeah, if the tomato gets too big ... they will move over to the 75g as well ... My tank is 1 year old now, so it seems like it is mature enough for the rose. I will try to keep the rose at the top of the tank for proper lighting. I will upgrade to the Tunze skimmer before I get the rose ... and of course move out the tang too ...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another idea came to my mind ... how about remove the tang and tomato and replace with a trained target mandarin that can eat flakes, frozen mysis and pellets? I have been following some threads for a month now ... and there seem to be some success if you can get one that is trained already from a LFS or try to train it in a reef tank with just the mandarin in there ... if it does not work ... I can always take it back to the LFS ... just wanted to run this idea by my RSM friends :) before I get a mandarin police knocking on my door

Wow! What a thread! We should all be so organized and concise...

Kinda makes it difficult to comment on the pics tho, so I'll just say--they're all beautiful! Wonderful clarity & color.

Tank looks so nice & clean, too. Super job!

--Diane

nanotank4nick

Bluesky,

I think your tank looks fantastic!

As someone who is interested in the RSM and have research the tank over many month, I really think this is truely one of the best looking RSM i've seen.

Keep up the good work!

Wow! What a thread! We should all be so organized and concise...

Kinda makes it difficult to comment on the pics tho, so I'll just say--they're all beautiful! Wonderful clarity & color.

Tank looks so nice & clean, too. Super job!

--Diane

Thanks Diane ... nothing compared to your 5.5g ... From coral choice to placement ... it looks so nice ... for me it is more of a "buy first and then figure out how to make space" and fit it in ... I am replacing a lot of my corals with some harder to find ones :) Hopefully it will be better by the end of the year.

Bluesky,

I think your tank looks fantastic!

As someone who is interested in the RSM and have research the tank over many month, I really think this is truely one of the best looking RSM i've seen.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words ... nanotank4nick. It is encouraging ... Check out this link for other RSM owners on nano-reef.com ... there are far better ones out there ... :)

When are you getting yours?

So I finally decided to replace a bunch of parts in my RSM Hood today. It took a while, but after completing it, it was quite simple :)

1) Replaced the broken moonlights

2) Replaced old T5 PC bulbs

3) Replaced super loud fans with the latest quiet fans from RedSea

4) Fixed the timer issue so that it will finally work

And after 2.5 hours of work ... its all done and working perfectly ... I know its quite long, but for a non-DIY type of guy like me ... finishing is already an accomplishment ...

Cheers ....

Thanks. learning something new everyday ... :)

For the rest of the RSM crew ... the light looks brighter and the corals shrinks up a bit ... but their color looks nicer ... :D

aanderson09

Your tank looks so clean and natural, I love your rock work; it adds so much more depth to your tank and I'm pretty sure this was the easiest to read thread I've ever seen. Thanks!

Andrew

Your tank looks so clean and natural, I love your rock work; it adds so much more depth to your tank and I'm pretty sure this was the easiest to read thread I've ever seen. Thanks!

Andrew

Thank you Andrew. I actually just reaquascape with some additional rock ... still not ideal but I am slowly getting there ... I am personally a lot happier with this new arrangement than the one I had before. I will post a pic in the next couple of days ...

stay tune guys ... :)

Thank you Andrew. I actually just reaquascape with some additional rock ... still not ideal but I am slowly getting there ... I am personally a lot happier with this new arrangement than the one I had before. I will post a pic in the next couple of days ...

stay tune guys ... :)

I really liked your old aquascape can't wait to see the new one.

Yeah, but just wait--we can turn it into one of those long, sloppy threads, in spite of Bluesky! :lol:

J/k Blue--if anyone can keep a thread disciplined, it's you. Just let us know if we have to go back to the beginning to see new pics!

--Diane

Thanks for all the kind words... I will try my best to keep this thread organized. Occasionally I get lazy ...

I plan to use the original post to link to all the interesting areas and monthly updates.

I recently received my custom Media Basket from StevieT aka RSM GOD :) That DIY media basket was so nicely done that I wanted to share with all of you. Thank you StevieT.

steviet_mediabasket.jpg

I have not installed it yet because I am waiting for my Tunze 9002 to arrive and I will do the clean up in the back compartments and install both ...

As promised ... here is a pic of my FTS with the new aquascape.

fts_may2008.jpg

I made an effort to remove my blue tang yesterday night ... I knock over a few corals and made a mess in my tank. So, I can only wait till today to take the FTS and my tang is still there ... I guess I need to buy a fish trap and do that later ...

As you can also see ... I have way too many xenia in there ... i need to get rid of 2/3 of them ...

Ha ha... my Xenia grows the same way... fast and pops up all over the place.

One of the best things I've done is to put LR rubble pieces all around and in my xenia - So when I need to thin it down the Xenia has already climbed on the rubble. I just pull those pieces and sell them or take them in for credit.

Great looking tank!

I made an effort to remove my blue tang yesterday night

Did you try two nets? I've used that numerous times with difficult to catch fish. Just position one net somewhere and use another (smaller) net to herd the fish into the larger net.

I've also heard of people who feed their fish from a net to acclimate them. Instead of dashing away from the net they come out to greet it - at least the chow hounds will.

Another alternative is a trap.

Good luck!

-hank

I've also heard of people who feed their fish from a net to acclimate them. Instead of dashing away from the net they come out to greet it - at least the chow hounds will.

Good luck!

-hank

I have too much holes and hidden places in the aquascape that the tang can hide... I think the feeding from the net is something that I can try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Guys, my tunze is here and it is being tested right now ... as we speak ... no bubble leaks and it seems to be working fine ... of course no skimmate yet ... just clear water in the cup ... I will give it a few days ... :)

tunze9002.jpg

Much better than my POS skimmer ...

So you're not seeing any bubbles out of the bottom when it's in your front display?

No. I specifically check for that and reply to your post in StevieT's RSM thread. So, you should definitely get a new one ... I check again this morning, and there is no bubble coming out from the bottom ... the tank does not have a lot of bubble either. Of course I have no skimmate either ... lol ... will let it dial it for a few days ... I am not eager to have a full cup of clear water and over spill onto my carpet, so I am just taking the dial in really slow ...

Archived