SaltCritters.com

50W MH Reef: 2G Vase Pico, 50W 14000K HQI + ATO & Skimmer

ma_sha1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats what I want to do :D Get some wild guppies or some fancy ones. the wild ones are more hardy then acclimate to saltwater then breed them then sell them off as reef guppies, or give them away.

i got a question.... how do you make your ATO.

Very similar to the battery powerd ATO in the DIY section.

The difference is: I use a 12V 40GPH Fountain Pump, where the Transformner is with the plug.

Splice the water sensor wire into one of the 12V power lines, that it. The pump turns on when

water level activate the sensor. This is the third ATO I did & it's actually the simplest.

Ocho Cinco
That was a 10 cent Guppy from LFS, it was already in Saltwater at the store.

I think they used it as feeder fish in saltwater tank.

If it's slowly aclimated (I don't think my LFS did) they are suppose to be fine living in salt water.

Mine lasted a week.

But if you have the patience, slowly raise salt content in 2-3 days, you can get a group of fancy Guppy

living in Picos cheap.

Why would you want guppies in a saltwater tank? If you wanted to keep guppies just spend 20 bucks and get a FW setup. That's one of the best things about SW, no lame looking fish!!!!

Some test shot from my new P&S with manual Focus, still not sharp enough, but better than the old camrea I think. Next time I need to turn the powerhead off & use the 10 sec self-timer for shooting.

Red Mushroom, lives in a hole & comes out when MH turns on.

redmushroomgi3.jpg

Scroll coral @ the far top behind the snail, the only SPS I have for this tank, seems doing well.

platecoralzf2.jpg

Ricordia, the orange one I cut one into two, that's why so small but now I have two Orange Ric.

ricordiajd9.jpg

Zoa: Anyone know the name oof this Zoa? Water mellon?

zoasx7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got an amazing lady pink mushroom.

Please vote for lady Pink in June Photo Contest: Category Pink

let's start with Actinic View of the 2 gallon pico:

68715712kv2.jpg

Zoom in:

75889604qx9.jpg

Macro: Lady Pink at her full glory!

58019883qs1.jpg

I made one of the 50w MH and it works amazingly well. Also gotta say the tank is looking great.

Congratulations! & Thanks, please cast a vote for lady pink in teh June photo contest section.

cheers

gulfsurfer101

I've been checking this thread for the last hour and been trying post on how nice this looks. This is truly a sweet and unique tank.

I've been checking this thread for the last hour and been trying post on how nice this looks. This is truly a sweet and unique tank.

Thanks buddy!

• 5 months later...

Hey ma_sha1,

I was wondering if you thought about implementing automotive HID lighting into a reef aquarium. I know of several GOOD sources for cheap HID kits that are 35watt and up to 55watt with all colors from 3500k to 20000k. Have you considered using any of these as a retrofit?

Anyway, props to your unique (now dismantled) tank.

Hey ma_sha1,

I was wondering if you thought about implementing automotive HID lighting into a reef aquarium. I know of several GOOD sources for cheap HID kits that are 35watt and up to 55watt with all colors from 3500k to 20000k. Have you considered using any of these as a retrofit?

Anyway, props to your unique (now dismantled) tank.

Funny that you asked, hahahaha, I built the first HID Pico in this forum way before I built the 50W MH Pico,

The thread for my HID build is in my signature. :lol:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140575

It's been a while thou, I tore down that set up too. The hardest part for HID set up

as was the cost of High Amp 12V power supply (HID ballast need to be driven by 12V 25A starting power),

the rest is easy. I got my power supply for $90 ebay, I am selling it back on ebay right now for $49 incase anyone wants to try the HID pico.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=190268824036

Archived