Cultivated Reef

My Finnex 4 Gal ... I hope it works :)

tarajean0627

I think everyone gets freaked out the first time a crab molts. I almost lost it when my blood shrimp molted :D

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick comment on the test results if you're using the API kit. I thought I was getting no detectable nitrates on a FW tank and it turned out that I misunderstood the test instructions. The stuff in bottle #2 really needs to be shaken up before you squeeze it out. On another forum they recommend smacking it against the table top to help disperse whatever is in it that settles. I tried that and made a huge difference in the results.

I just mention it because it was an easy mistake (for me :rolleyes: ) to make.

HTH,

hank

tarajean0627
I think everyone gets freaked out the first time a crab molts. I almost lost it when my blood shrimp molted :D

Well come to find out it was just a molt. LOL I came home today and there the little bugger was munching on more hair algae. :) Just to make sure I had some more shells for the next time this happens I ordered a few today. I know I shouldn't pay for these because LFS should have them but everytime I go they say they don't have any so I just decided to order some.

Just a quick comment on the test results if you're using the API kit. I thought I was getting no detectable nitrates on a FW tank and it turned out that I misunderstood the test instructions. The stuff in bottle #2 really needs to be shaken up before you squeeze it out. On another forum they recommend smacking it against the table top to help disperse whatever is in it that settles. I tried that and made a huge difference in the results.

I just mention it because it was an easy mistake (for me :rolleyes: ) to make.

HTH,

hank

Thanks for the advice. While I do shake the bottle for the time they say to I will make extra sure to shake it even better. :)

tarajean0627

Well all, my tank is doing just great and yesterday I got my fish!! I can't believe they didn't sell him/her in the last two weeks. Man it has been painful waiting to be able to get it but I did! I got a green clown goby! He/She is soooo cute! I also got a peppermint shrimp and some more coral. I got 3 more $10 frags from my LFS. One was a rock with 2 small red mushrooms, one small rock of GSP, and one small rock of zoas (multi-colors). :) I will post pictures today or tomorrow. I want things to open up more before I post them, so keep an eye out. :)

Sarah

I love this so far Sarah. I want to see more, a full tank shot pleeeeeessssssseeeeee...........................

tarajean0627

Okay ladies and gents,

Let the show begin. :)

First we have the lovely GSP that opened with vigor the first day in the tank. Notice its high placement where it will get plenty of light and flow!

IMG_1968.jpg

Next we have a lovely small rock with some wonderful zoas. Look at all the colors! What a find!

IMG_19651.jpg

Here we have a two corals one of which you may have already seen. The Ric now has a wonderful bright red mushroom to accent it and the area around it.

IMG_19571.jpg

Here is the orginal candy cane that was purchased a few weeks ago. Notice that it is now placed in the sand bed where it doesn't get knocked over and it sure does seem to be happier.

IMG_19621.jpg

Next is the lovely peppermint shrimp that is going to be helping with the atpasia problem.

IMG_1964.jpg

And finally the star of the show! The spectacular and amazing Green Clown Goby!

IMG_19691.jpg

IMG_19701.jpg

IMG_19711.jpg

Oh and of course we musn't forget the obligatory FTS

Day

IMG_1953.jpg

And Night

IMG_1942.jpg

The night show is just as interesting as the day show too. Here you will see that the Emerald Crab to be helping to keep everyones undersides clean. LOL

IMG_1946.jpg

And just to throw some crazyness into the mix here are a few pics of the Day Lilys in my front yard.

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Thank you all for coming and I hope you enjoyed the show!! Have a wonderful night and I hope to see you again soon. :)

Sarah

PS sorry about the algae, the clean up crew is still working on it but what progress they have made!!!

Edit: pictures fixed (I hope)

Sweet Tank! I'm jealous! I'd love to get $10 frags, mine cost me twice that! You've done a great job with the tank!

Always Symbiotic...

:bowdown:

You may make it after all...LOL

J/J...

I little aggesive but appears to be paying off..

You have some nice Macro on the LR ...let it grow...

it will help remove any phospate.

Nice little Goby.

Keep your water in check...and maybe a small powerhead

towards the bottom to keep things moving.

Izzue

tarajean0627
Sweet Tank! I'm jealous! I'd love to get $10 frags, mine cost me twice that! You've done a great job with the tank!

Always Symbiotic...

Thanks Symbiotic! I am really happy with the tank right now too. I plan on probably upgrading the filter to a AC 30 in the future but not yet. The filter that came with the tank seems to be doing really well. :) I am a little disappointed in the moon leds that I got but only because they don't light the middle of the tank. They weren't cheap and I now I am considering going with a different model of LED all together but again that will have to wait. :)

omg i love your goby :wub: !!!

Thanks clownfish1124! I really love him/her too! I don't have a name yet (I name all my pets, even fish) but I will figure it out. He is really doing well. I had planned on getting 2 green banded gobies but no LFS had them and most hadn't even heard of them. :angry: Then I saw this little guy and having looking into them also for my tank I was thrilled to see him. No ordering a fish online for me! :) He was at the LFS for over 2 months and no one bought him! He is also eating really well and I love to just watch him. :)

:bowdown:

You may make it after all...LOL

J/J...

I little aggesive but appears to be paying off..

You have some nice Macro on the LR ...let it grow...

it will help remove any phospate.

Nice little Goby.

Keep your water in check...and maybe a small powerhead

towards the bottom to keep things moving.

Izzue

Thanks Izzue. How was the vacation? Did your tank survive? I plan on maybe getting 2 or 3 more pieces of coral (some sort of xenia, one more ric, and another candy cane) in about 2 weeks or I may have to spread them out a bit longer in between because of the availability of the xenia. Then things will be left alone to grow out for awhile. I actually like that macro on that one piece of LR it looks nice. I did have to cut a piece back already because it was just getting a little to long. :)

Thanks again all

Sarah :)

tarajean0627

Okay so I am working today but I got a chance to run home cuz I forgot something. While I was there I was looking at my tank and what do I see?! The star fish that seemed to disappear for a few days! He is on the glass this time and I thought just maybe getting a picture of his underside might help to ID this little bugger! LOL Also included below are the orginal pics I took of the top side of him if some of you missed it. I just want to know if he is going to hurt any of my corals (so far so good) or if he is just a really cool hitch hiker. Any ideas or inputs are welcome. :)

IMG_19861.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_19181.jpg

IMG_19182.jpg

Thanks

Sarah

Do a search on here for Asterina Starfish. Can be pests to coral in some cases, especially if they get to plague proportions.

tarajean0627
Do a search on here for Asterina Starfish. Can be pests to coral in some cases, especially if they get to plague proportions.

Thanks for the ID help spanko. I am now convinced this is what type of starfish I have. While I don't see it very often I don't think I will go searching for it to get it out of my tank for now. I have only lost one frag of zoas and I believe that was my own fault for handleing it too much. :( I just couldn't get the thing to stick to the rock and it kept falling down. I will keep my eye on this little guy and all my corals. If something seems to be amiss I will defonately remove him. But my next question is, if I remove him should I try to take him back to the store or would they even want him since they can be such pests in the tank?

Thanks

Sarah

What you see is about as big as it will get. The LFS would probably take it but not give you any credit or anything.

http://www.nano-reef.com/invertebrates/?id=9

And a quote from WetWebMedia:

<While some people like to point fingers and blame Asterina stars for such things as polyps not extending, and of consuming Zoanthids, myself and many other reefers in my area have many of these in our tanks and have never seen any deleterious effects. These starfish have little to no affect on the overall bioload, and are excellent detritivores. The main reason that they seem to get accused of as much ill as they do, is because they do reproduce like weeds. If your tank is nutrient rich enough, they can grow to plague proportions, although it is typically easy to keep in check with manual extraction. Do you have any live rock in your aquarium? If so, you may already have some Asterina stars and not know it yet! Have a browse through our existing Asterina starfish FAQ's and decide for yourself if they sound right for you: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/asterinafaqs.htm Hope this helps you! -JustinN>

tarajean0627

Well all I have a bit of sad news for you today. My little peppermint shrimp died this morning for some reason that is beyond me. :( I checked my levels and everything was fine, temp was good too. She had just molted a few days ago and was hanging out doing great and eating like mad. Don't know what happened? Everything else in the tank is doing fine and looking great.

What is really wierd about the whole thing is that I didn't really want her at all (I kind of find shrimp to be a bit creepy) but I had to do something about the apistia problem and I didn't want to use chemicals. She cleaned that problem up in about 2 days! Then after I got her and she was just such a cool character in the tank I kind of started to like her. And now that she is gone I feel my tank is not as "active" you might say. :tears:

Sarah

TheChosenReefer

My peppermint shrimp died as well just like yours it molted and a couple days later died. I though maybe he got caught in filter. But I disproved that. Cause he was just kinda floating there.

• 2 weeks later...
tarajean0627

Hello all!!

Yes this is an update! :) LOL First I would like to say that everything is going really well and the only lose has been the peppermint shrimp. RIP :(

I went out on Friday and got a couple more $10 frags and a porclein crab so things are actually looking a bit more filled out in there. :) I would still like to get a pom pom crab and a few more corals but then let things grow a bit.

Well on with the pictures!

First is the new green zoas

IMG_2003.jpg

Then there was this small/large rock with pink zoas on it that I just couldn't pass up because I love pink!

IMG_2007.jpg

Then I got another ric, orange this time. I am just placing these in the sand because they just don't want to stay on the rocks. LOL

IMG_2009.jpg

And other mushroom. This one is really cool and has some great color to it. The photo really doesn't do it justice. Its purple with greenish sploches and red bumps.

IMG_2010.jpg

And the newest addition to the tank is this cute porcelian crab. In the picture it is getting to know the emerald crab. LOL I haven't figured out if it is a male or female (I forgot to look before I put him in the tank). He/she only has one big front claw but the guy at the LFS said it would grow back, is this true? I really liked him/her so the missing claw doesn't matter to me, as long as it doesn't matter to him/her. LOL

IMG_1989.jpg

Then I thought I would throw in another pic of my Green Clown Goby. He/she is so cute and seems to be just loving life in the 4 gallon finnex. LOL

IMG_2037.jpg

And of course the FTS

IMG_2013.jpg

On a side note, last weekend I set up the new 46 gallon bowfront that I got from craigslist a couple of weeks ago. This is a FW tank for my chiclids and a couple of other miselanous fish. I am just loving this tank and thought I would throw in a few pics of this one too. :) Hope you all enjoy!

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

Sarah

tarajean0627

Just a quick update. During my water change yesterday I upgraded my filter to the AC 30. I only put the white filter media part in it for now to pull out the chunks of stuff and that is it. I may but some LRR and cheato in it later but not yet. I also found the flow out of it to be crazy! I had to turn it down all the way because it was just almost throwing my coral all over the place.

The other thing that happened this week is that my porcelian crab molted and he has a new claw where it was missing before. It is still smaller than the other one but at least it did grow back. :)

Well everyone have a great day. :)

Sarah

Hey sarah

Just dropped in for latest pics and news and to see your LR formation. Getting things moving on the Jalli, but haven't gotten order placed just yet, but it is definitely a 'go'.

tarajean0627

Great to hear airangel!! Make sure to start a thread when you get it cuz I want lots of pics!!! :)

I have found that most people that see my tank are more fascinated by finding and seeing inverts that they are about the fish. So I have been slowly collecting inverts of different kinds.

I have...

2 pom pom crabs, they are rarely visible but super cool to see when they come out.

2 porcilin crabs, they are always visible and always pointed at.

1 red sea star, I call it USSR and it always brings a laugh.

1 brittle star

1 Halloween hermit, Pumpkin

1 blood shrimp, Sparks

2 turbo snails

2 nassarius snails

3 scralet hermits

3 blue legged hermits

1 emerald crab, Mower.

4 margarita snails

1 blue eyed hermit, Frank.

I do have fish too but everyone loves to find the inverts!

lovin the pico... Your GCG looks to be alot more Green color than mine.. rather than blueish green... maybe thats the boy girl distinction..i dunno.... o yeah and those rics are awesome...

tarajean0627

Well all I only have a few quick minutes and then I have to get back to work. But I wanted to give a quick update on the tank. It has been almost 2 weeks since my last post! :o

Well I had another fatality in the tank with no rhyme or reason to it. My emerald crab died yesterday and I don't know why. :tears: So yesterday I went to my LFS after work to pick up a new one and they just happened to have a silver branch xenia too!!! Woohoo! So I got a new emerald crab and the xenia. The xenia wasn't really moving much in their tank and I am not sure why but I already think it is doing much better in my tank. This morning when I got up and within a few mins of the lights being on it was opening up nicely. :)

The new emerald crab I got is a bit larger than the last one and will never take the place of that little guy but he is definately a nice addition to the tank. Other than that I got more zoas a couple of weeks ago and I know I haven't put any pics up of those yet so I guess I have pictures to take and post tonight.

I hope all your tanks are going really well and I look forward to catching up on all the threads. :happydance:

Sarah

PS TODAY IS MY TANK'S 2 MONTH BIRTHDAY!!! omgomgomg

Archived