Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Finnex 4 Gal ... I hope it works :)

tarajean0627

tarajean0627

Boy oh boy!!! It came in last night! I just haven't had a chance to get it out of the box and I want to make sure I get some pictures too. It got here right in the middle of me making dinner last night and by the time we were done with dinner I was just too tired. Don't worry all I will be opening it as soon as I get home tonight! :) Then it is payday on Friday and off the the LFS to get some sand, salt, water, etc. :D !!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with your Finnex! I have the same tank and has been running for about 4 months now and I love it.

The filter that comes with it will be adequate for flow to start, but you are going to want to upgrade it soon. It is far too small to put any kind of heater into. I would suggest looking at an Aquaclear 30 or 50 HOB. You can mod it into a fuge, and put your heater and temp sensor in there, and get considerably more flow without having to add a powerhead into the tank.

The lighting on the tank is actually pretty decent for only 13W. If you are thinking of upgrading in the future, don't bother looking at the Coralife fixtures unless you REALLY like making fixtures to mount things. The tank dimensions are just worng in all ways to use the Coralife mounting options. The Current Dual Satelite (36W) is easier to mount, and they come with better bulbs. I wish I had done this instead of being impatient :angry:

The test kits that you had listed are different. The reef kit is indeed missing the ammonia, nitrite and PH tests. You can buy them individually, but it ends up running almost as much as the complete salt water test kit. Also, the only difference on most of the tests between salt and fresh is the scale that the results are measured on. When you buy things like the high range PH test kit, it will come with both cards, and the same reagent. Not all of them are the same between salt and fresh though.

tarajean0627

evilc66,

Thanks for the info and incouragement. I am really excited about this tank. I am planning on taking things very very slow (but we all know how that ends up lol). I will keep in mind the upgrades you said and probably the first thing to upgrade will be the filter because i really like the idea of making it a fuge and hiding the heater in there as well.

I do have some questions for you if you happen to check back into my thread. What kind of heater are you running in yours? How many watts? I am looking at one that is preset to 78-79 and is small but I was thinking it may be better to get one that is adjustable?

I will be on later probably up loading the pics of the opening of the box and such but there will probably not be any water or sand in it till this late this weekend. I have to work saturday so I don't know if I will be able to get any live rock till monday or later seeing as how everything but Petland is closed on sunday's here. Well I'm off work in an hour and then home to open the box....check back for pics. :)

Sarah

tarajean0627

Well it is unpacked and getting its FW leak test right now. I only have a few minutes before the hubby is done mowing the lawn and I got to go make dinner. LOL So I will post what pics I can and just let me say I LOVE THIS TANK!!!! It is so cute and it is seamless around the front, the filter is super quiet, the lights are just wonderful, and I just can't get enough of it. LOL

The box was slightly beat up when I got it but all was well inside.

post-33869-1208387935_thumb.jpg

I know some like to see the packing so here it is

post-33869-1208387965_thumb.jpg

And don't forget you will need 2 ferrets to help unpack it all. They are my quality assurance inspectors :)

post-33869-1208388001_thumb.jpg

Yep its a fish tank!

post-33869-1208388068_thumb.jpg

Lights

post-33869-1208388142_thumb.jpg

Side view

post-33869-1208388178_thumb.jpg

Front view with a Snapple for size comparison

post-33869-1208388220_thumb.jpg

Just about to hit my picture limit. Last ones on next post :)

tarajean0627

Leak Testing

post-33869-1208388631_thumb.jpg

Top View for flow show

post-33869-1208388662_thumb.jpg

One problem with having ferrets help you unpack they usually don't help you clean up. LOL :)

post-33869-1208388717_thumb.jpg

Well now I just need everything else. LOL More to come this weekend. Off to cook dinner. :D

Sarah

Looking good.

I'm just running a 50W Tetra heater right now. If I were to suggest one, I would go with a finnex or similar titanium heater. They are smaller, shatter proof, and have the temperature controls located on the cord, not on the heater itself. Makes like easier adjusting things.

The preset heaters are consistent, but they tend not to hit their advertised temperature. Mine is about 2deg low. I am going to upgrade to the titanium heater here soon.

Most of the small 50W heaters will fit into the back of an AC50 or larger, with room to spare.

tarajean0627
Looking good.

I'm just running a 50W Tetra heater right now. If I were to suggest one, I would go with a finnex or similar titanium heater. They are smaller, shatter proof, and have the temperature controls located on the cord, not on the heater itself. Makes like easier adjusting things.

The preset heaters are consistent, but they tend not to hit their advertised temperature. Mine is about 2deg low. I am going to upgrade to the titanium heater here soon.

Most of the small 50W heaters will fit into the back of an AC50 or larger, with room to spare.

Thanks for the info evilc66. I did go out yesterday and bought a heater, distilled water, salt, and a hydrometer. I just need the live rock, test kit and sand now, then I can begin my cycle. I am going live rock and sand shopping today after work. The heater I got is a small preset heater, I have used these same heaters in my 5 gallon betta tanks and they seem to work great. I may change to a different one later but I think I will see how it goes with this one during the cycle.

Okay now for a couple of questions. Should I run the light while I am cycling? Also should I use the filter pads while I am cycling? I have heard both but I just wanted to check. Also how long can live rock be "out of water". I only ask because if I happen to find some really great peices that I can't pass up tonight I will have to go home and do my salt mix and get the tank set up before it can go in the tank. I know that you can order live rock online and it be shipped to you over 24 hours but how is it packaged? Is it "dry" or is it in like plastic bags filled with water? Anyway if I get this up tonight I will post pics tomorrow. :) If not it may be Monday before it is completely set up.

Well wish me luck on finding some really great live rock today after work. :)

Sarah

Thanks for the info evilc66. I did go out yesterday and bought a heater, distilled water, salt, and a hydrometer. I just need the live rock, test kit and sand now, then I can begin my cycle. I am going live rock and sand shopping today after work. The heater I got is a small preset heater, I have used these same heaters in my 5 gallon betta tanks and they seem to work great. I may change to a different one later but I think I will see how it goes with this one during the cycle.

Okay now for a couple of questions. Should I run the light while I am cycling? Also should I use the filter pads while I am cycling? I have heard both but I just wanted to check. Also how long can live rock be "out of water". I only ask because if I happen to find some really great peices that I can't pass up tonight I will have to go home and do my salt mix and get the tank set up before it can go in the tank. I know that you can order live rock online and it be shipped to you over 24 hours but how is it packaged? Is it "dry" or is it in like plastic bags filled with water? Anyway if I get this up tonight I will post pics tomorrow. :) If not it may be Monday before it is completely set up.

Well wish me luck on finding some really great live rock today after work. :)

Sarah

Your quality inspecters haven't run off with the plastic parts? :o ? Mine would run away with them and never give them back to me (its all fun and games until i loose a filter connector part) Ferret_03_by_IceTurf.jpg

(sorry for intrupting this thread, how do u scale down a picture so it is 300 by 300?)

tarajean0627

Ice Turf,

Your ferret is a cutie and no mine didn't run off with any parts they actually just played in the box with the paper and stuffing for about an hour. LOL They are just one of the best pets you could have, entertaining but they do keep you on your toes a lot.

About the pictures sizes I am not sure how mine got reduced once I posted them but you can resize a picture in microsoft office picture manager by hitting the edit picture button on the tool bar above the picture and then you can compress it or resize it or even just cropping it may help to get it to the size you need too. :) I hope this helps. If I am too confusing I think I saw an instruction on how to post pics on the forum somewhere here.

Anyway on to what people are dieing to see......Yep I got rock, I got sand, I got water, and I got PICTURES!!

As you will see in this first pic I ended up not going with the Tahitian Moon Sand. While 2 of my LFS did have it stock in 20 lb bags they did not have it in 5 lb bags. :( Also I got a closer look and started talking to the lady and I really reliezed just how fine the sand was and what a dust cloud that would cause when stirred for any reason. Yuk. Maybe one day I will have the nerve to just try it in another tank but I decided to go with regular Figi Pink live sand and to tell you the truth I really like the way it looks. The first shot is also including my 2 5 gallon hexs that hold the bettas. It is mostly to show you a size comparison if you have seen the 5 gallons up close. Okay Okay here is a picture!

post-33869-1208641730_thumb.jpg

This next picture is yesterday when it was still really cloudy but it is still my official first FTS! :)

post-33869-1208641965_thumb.jpg

Day 2 ... The tank is looking much clearer and you can actually see the rock work. There is 5 lbs of live sand and 4 lbs of live rock and boy is it nice! That is 4 pieces 3 of the bigger ones are stacked in the back and the small one in the front is just too cool...

post-33869-1208642203_thumb.jpg

This is the small rock in the front. I may never put any coral on it because I love it just the way it is. :)

post-33869-1208642338_thumb.jpg

Now that you have see what it looks like I would like to ask some questions.

I was having trouble getting my salt to mix completely and I even has some salt left on the rock this morning. My salinity isn't over what it should be but I was just wondering if it helps to dissolve the salt if the water is heated? Also how long is mixed salt water good for? I have my extra water in a covered and sealed 5 gallon bucket. Would I just need to test salinity and add RO water for evaporating before using it or does it "go bad"?

Well this is it just waiting for the cycle to begin and end then I think it will be time for a couple of green banded gobies. Which I am quickly finding them hard to come by here. 2 of my LFS have never even heard of them!!! Crazy, I know!!

Sarah

Nice pics...keep them coming :)

Wow...I forgot how little water you need for a water change on a 4 gal...LOL

Must be nice.

I would recommend setting up a 5 gal bucket for mixing. High grade plastic

preferable white ( they say colored ones tend to release phosphate...IDK)

Get ya a power head with venturi to oxygenate. Fill to desired gal. with

RO/DI. Add salt (read directions on salt for estamated cups) mix for 24

Hours to equalize the dissolved CO2 with O2. Check gravity and temp.

If the PH is not enough heat to get the mix to the temp of your tank...ADD

Heater :)

Adjust gravity to tank...your good to go.

Leave a lid partuallly on top or modify top for less evaporation and you will

be good to go with 20% water changes on that little tank with 4 gals mixed for

a month.

Izzue

tarajean0627
Nice pics...keep them coming :)

Wow...I forgot how little water you need for a water change on a 4 gal...LOL

Must be nice.

I would recommend setting up a 5 gal bucket for mixing. High grade plastic

preferable white ( they say colored ones tend to release phosphate...IDK)

Get ya a power head with venturi to oxygenate. Fill to desired gal. with

RO/DI. Add salt (read directions on salt for estamated cups) mix for 24

Hours to equalize the dissolved CO2 with O2. Check gravity and temp.

If the PH is not enough heat to get the mix to the temp of your tank...ADD

Heater :)

Adjust gravity to tank...your good to go.

Leave a lid partuallly on top or modify top for less evaporation and you will

be good to go with 20% water changes on that little tank with 4 gals mixed for

a month.

Izzue

Izzue,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a 5 gallon bucket from lowes with messurements on the side and everything and it is white too, with are really good locking lid so I don't think I will have all that much evaporation. I think i will get a power head maybe today if I can talk my husband into it but if not definately next payday. Stiring the salt in just takes to long and can be painful.

I do have a few more questions too. One is if my SG is not high enough how should I try to make it higher? I know that means that I need more salt but I don't think I want to add it directly to the tank do I? Should I mix some more salt and make that higher than I really want it and then do a water change and add that? I followed the directions on the box of salt exactly but it came out really low. Like 1.020.

Next on the list is I think I have a couple of hitch hikers. Both are in shady areas that are hard to get pictures of. My camera, even with how expensive and high tech it is, just doesn't want to focus on them. I am still learning to use it also. LOL I think one of them is a tiny feather duster. It has a long tube and then every now and then it will stick out a fuzzy red top .... it is actually kind cute. LOL The other hitchhiker that I have seen is most likely Aiptasia. Again I can't seem to get a decent pic of this but it looks almost exactly like this http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...;articleid=3453 Just a little darker brownish red. There are many of these on my live rock and all very small. What should I do about these? Should I wait till my cycle is done and get a peppermint shrimp (I hear they like to eat it) or is there something else that can be used during my cycle? Some sort of additive?

Other than that not much to report just having problems with my salinty....I must get that power head!

Thanks

Sarah

PH is your friend for water mix...Airation is critical for water mix.

Just add more salt to the mix you have in the bucket until you get

the gravity reading you want...If gravity gets to high...just top off some

with RO/DI to bring gravity back down.

Make sure water is where you want it before adding to tank.

You have to figure your evap rate now to keep your gravity stable

in the tank. So always make water changes that match reading of

tank.

Keep in mind you dont need to do any water changes during cycle.

Just keep the tank at a specific gravity and add RO/DI top off as

needed.

I dont like to add anything during cycle...and run good light cycle...

this will cause algae growth that needs to deplete the PO4 and gives

CUC something to eat B)

PS...Sry but if you meant how to adjust your tank to say 1.025..

Just mix a strong mixture in Quart jar with RO/DI...sometimes the

salt doesnt all mix...just add the mixed part (top) in small amounts

check gravity of tank...keep adding till you get the gravity your looking

for. Keep in mind to do this slowly to let the tank equilibrate to the mix

you are adding.

Izzue

tarajean0627

Izzue,

Thanks for the input. This is exactally what I did and it worked like a charm. What I find wierd is that I didn't get even close to the correct SG when I mixed it the first time and I did it exactly by the directions on the box. I am using the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Does anyone else have this problem? I am going to read the directions again just to make sure, but it feels like it will be the 10 millionth time reading them.

I got a API Saltwater test kit yesterday so I can keep track of things as they cycle but what I found odd was that I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, but like 10 nitrates. Shouldn't my nitrates be 0 when I start? Or could this be from the live rock and such....or is it possible that I missed the cycle in the 3 days that I didn't have a test kit? No....that can't be possible...can it???

Thanks

Sarah

Morning...Im off to Hawaii in 4 hours...cant wait.

One of my goals is to see a Pom Pom crab in the ocean...may

have to do a night dive ;)

Ok lets say your LR had little die of and is cured...the nitrates

either came from a mini cycle or if you used LFS water...

Cycle as you well know...amonia-nitrite-nitrate...then we reefers

either water change to rid the nitrate or it is consumed by algae.

YOu need to make sure the tank can do this...I would recommend

either some flake food or small piece of shrimp or silver side...basically

something to rot to amonia. Do this every 3rd day or so...but not to much

just enough to get the bacterias going...after a week of this and you notice the

algae bloom going crazy...let her stabilize. You should be able to detect

all parameters during this phase.

Once this is done...usally a month. You will be able to handle fishee bioload with

no issues.

Izzue

Izzue,

Thanks for the input. This is exactally what I did and it worked like a charm. What I find wierd is that I didn't get even close to the correct SG when I mixed it the first time and I did it exactly by the directions on the box. I am using the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Does anyone else have this problem? I am going to read the directions again just to make sure, but it feels like it will be the 10 millionth time reading them.

I got a API Saltwater test kit yesterday so I can keep track of things as they cycle but what I found odd was that I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, but like 10 nitrates. Shouldn't my nitrates be 0 when I start? Or could this be from the live rock and such....or is it possible that I missed the cycle in the 3 days that I didn't have a test kit? No....that can't be possible...can it???

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah I'm using that exact same bucket and salt as you. for me to get to 1.025 I fill my bucket to the 3.5 gallon line and add 3 additional cups of water then mix in two cups of salt. It mixes a perfect batch everytime.

Steve

tarajean0627

Hey all,

Small update. Tomorrow my tank will be 1 week old and I am still showing 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and I am down to about 5 nitrates. I still will be waiting another week before even thinking about adding anything. (have to wait for payday) I may get a coral before I get a fish because I think I may need to order the fish. So question is does anyone have any suggestions for my first coral? Looking for any suggestions. :) Plus I am going to need to get rid of some aspastia too, any suggestions on how to do that? And one last question is about my SG. I am using the Instant Ocean Hydrometer to read it and I am reading 1.023 right now. Is that ok or should it be 1.024? Is that one point going to make a huge difference? Or maybe my hydrometer is ready a little lower than it really is? Anyone else have this problem with the Instant Ocean one? I know I should have a Refracometer but again, I must wait for payday. :)

Thanks all for your comments and thanks Steve for your descripition on how to get your salt all mixed. I will defonately be doing that next time I mix a bucket up. :)

Sarah

bump sorry but still wondering if anyone has any ideas about the questions above?

1 week? If it were my tank, I think I'd wait a bit longer and keep testing just to make sure.

As far as what goes in next, wouldn't that be CUC?

How bad is the Aiptasia? Might it be a good idea to deal with that first? I'm not sure how a peppermint shrimp would do (once you are certain your tank is cycled, that is) as at 2" it is on the large size. Right now you could be using chemical methods like direct application of lemon juice. It would give you something to do while you wait out your cycle.

If you put stuff in before your tank is really ready, it will just die and be a waste of money, no?

HTH,

hank

1 week? If it were my tank, I think I'd wait a bit longer and keep testing just to make sure.

As far as what goes in next, wouldn't that be CUC?

How bad is the Aiptasia? Might it be a good idea to deal with that first? I'm not sure how a peppermint shrimp would do (once you are certain your tank is cycled, that is) as at 2" it is on the large size. Right now you could be using chemical methods like direct application of lemon juice. It would give you something to do while you wait out your cycle.

If you put stuff in before your tank is really ready, it will just die and be a waste of money, no?

HTH,

hank

+1 "How bad is the Aiptasia? Might it be a good idea to deal with that first?" Great Advice... kill that stuff now before it becomes a big problem later. & Hank is right on the money about the CUC first before a fish. Kill the Aiptasia and wait at least a week before putting the CUC in providing all your water specs. are good.

(My two cent)

P.S. I love your Finnex & the rock looks great too. ;)

tarajean0627

Okay, I'm not putting any fish in this week. I was wondering about a coral that might be good for a frist coral. I got up this morning and saw that some of my hair algea that was growing on the live rock has now started to grow on the glass. That is good right?

Yeah I know about getting a CUC I guess I just didn't mention them because I knew they were next. What is the "Lemon Juice" method for getting rid of the aiptasia? I am really new to this stuff so I don't know if it is "bad" ... I don't think it is. It is mainly on one piece of live rock and they are really small. Only one of them is what I may call medium size. It is about an inch tall but only that one. Can I just try to suck these out with a turkey baster? Also if I use the lemon juice method what is that going to do to my water?

I am going to be going to a couple of lfs today to talk to them about this and see how long it would take to get the fish I want so that I can plan accordingly, once I know my tank has cycled. I just don't think I saw much of one because I used live rock, live sand, and stability by seachem. But hey I can wait no problem. :)

One last question, what was the rule again for CUC? One animal per gallon? Or was it two? I just want to get prob one or 2 snails for the glass on maybe 2-3 hermits. Is that too much or does it soud good?

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

What is the "Lemon Juice" method for getting rid of the aiptasia? I am really new to this stuff so I don't know if it is "bad"

Start here: http://www.nano-reef.com/invertebrates/?id=11

Since they reproduce from bits of tissue left behind when they move, sucking them off the rock may not get rid of them. A little lemon juice may affect water quality and that (along with the dead aiptasia) will feed your nitrogen cycle. I suppose that's a good reason to deal with the problem before you introduce anything more sensitive in the tank.

Search the forums here and about aiptasia and CUC before you head out to your LFS because you can't always count on their advice. Better to have some knowledge first. And that will give you something to do other than staring at an empty tank and wishing there was something more to look at. ;) Patience is toughest at this stage but will pay off in terms of gradually developing a beautiful tank like so many other members here.

HTH,

hank

tarajean0627

Hank,

Thanks for the advice. I know LFS's can't always be trusted but the place that I am going for my advice actually sets up huge and small tanks and then maintains them too. That is their main business and while I still get online and ask advice from y'all and do my own research before I go there or anywhere, I tend to trust them more than any other LFS.

Anyway my Aiptasia is completely gone. I got a medication for them called Aiptasia Control by Blue Vet. It worked great! With in 1/2 hour they were gone completely. It did leave white spots where ever I put it but I just sucked most of that stuff back out of the tank the next day.

Besides getting ride of the Aiptasia I am getting some really great green hair algae that the CUC is going to just love! I will be getting the CUC on Friday. My water parameters are great. Everything is at 0.

And because I always have a question in my posts here we go: What are the best snails to have for a pico? Also is there any difference between blue legged hermits or red legged hermits? My reef store has red legged on sale right now but I was thinking about 2 blue and 2 red and 2 snails. Is that too much for my tank?

Again thanks for any and all advice and replies

Sarah

Hank,

Thanks for the advice. I know LFS's can't always be trusted but the place that I am going for my advice actually sets up huge and small tanks and then maintains them too. That is their main business and while I still get online and ask advice from y'all and do my own research before I go there or anywhere, I tend to trust them more than any other LFS.

Anyway my Aiptasia is completely gone. I got a medication for them called Aiptasia Control by Blue Vet. It worked great! With in 1/2 hour they were gone completely. It did leave white spots where ever I put it but I just sucked most of that stuff back out of the tank the next day.

Besides getting ride of the Aiptasia I am getting some really great green hair algae that the CUC is going to just love! I will be getting the CUC on Friday. My water parameters are great. Everything is at 0.

And because I always have a question in my posts here we go: What are the best snails to have for a pico? Also is there any difference between blue legged hermits or red legged hermits? My reef store has red legged on sale right now but I was thinking about 2 blue and 2 red and 2 snails. Is that too much for my tank?

Again thanks for any and all advice and replies

Sarah

i've found blue legs and red legs to be more aggressive than the scarlets. so i go with them. they dont seem to work as hard eatting on my reef, but they dont kill all my snails either:)

Hank,

And you know you can trust them because you can compare their advice with what you hear here, right? That's good to know that you found a good LFS. Good to hear that you wiped out the pest anemones too. Keep an eye out for any that escaped the slaughter! Did the treatment affect any of your water parameters?

Good luck with your CUC!

-hank

Archived