Innovative Marine Aquariums

abe's 285g who doesnt like a picture update?

abe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What LFS do you go to?

i took a combo rock... but i went to fish collection. he isnt really up to date on all his names, but he does get some very nice and rare stuff in. HUGE acro and monti colonies for 50 ea, and 5 for 200. :P

haven't gotten much feedback from you guys, but here's another picture update.

coral in the fuge (baby goni, off my big one)

119F4193-1.jpg

heres a shot where you can see the tank in the room it's in

119F4214.jpg

skimmer shots

119F4201.jpg

119F4204.jpg

three days of skimmate... its completely opaque, and im still playing around with the skimmer

119F4203.jpg

another fuge picture, that i submitted for POTM on nano-reef

119F4180.jpg

forgot an fts

119F4221.jpg

oh, an acro crab in some catspaw i got. you can kind of see a claw of his in the middle. he hides most of the time.

119F4199.jpg

k, another picture update. havent been getting many questions, but ask away if you have any...

been trying out a new lens (135mm fixed w/ autofocus) even with autofocus, i was trying to focus manually on all my shots to get the exact shot i wanted.

new dendros added to the tank. :) its tennis ball sized colony.

119F4380.jpg

first shot of a tort for growth progression diary on solaris lighting system

119F4383.jpg

this growth growth progression also

119F4386.jpg

and this

119F4385.jpg

... just for fun

119F4392.jpg

:)

119F4391.jpg

119F4390.jpg

partial fts to top it off

119F4408.jpg

Sweet tank. With it closed off at the top are you running a chiller? Also the evaporation rate, how is that?

evaporation is around... 10 gallons every five days, so not too bad. i have not had heat problems yet as i am running LED's (solaris). the highest my tank ever went was 81.2 on a day when the weather was 105 degrees F . the canopy is not exactly closed off either, the whole back is open and a few inches away from the wall, given more than enough circulation. (plus on hot days the big ac vent on top blows right in that hole)

may 12th you posted a pic (right above the FTS and again you posted it in april on a rock by itself the second picture) what kind of coral is that? I have the same thing and it was given to me by a guy who called it pompom coral(xenia) but I have not found any pictures that look like what I have until yours...

Any help would be great. Any hints on taking care of it as well..

thanks

may 12th you posted a pic (right above the FTS and again you posted it in april on a rock by itself the second picture) what kind of coral is that? I have the same thing and it was given to me by a guy who called it pompom coral(xenia) but I have not found any pictures that look like what I have until yours...

Any help would be great. Any hints on taking care of it as well..

thanks

the pictures you are telling me to look at are not a softie or even pom pom xenia. that is a goniopora. not an easy coral to take care of. i wont know if i am taking good care of it until the end of next month, which marks the six month period when the coral usually makes a major decline in the home aquaria. as for me, i take care of it by feeding oyster eggs, phytoplankton, zooplankton, and coral frenzy. its a lot of food, but i have to feed it a variety in order for it to get the nutrients it nees to survive. i think mine enjoys how i care for it though, because it dropped off a baby colony (that is no longer alive, stupid chocolate chip stars in the fuge) . umm maybe you have it confused?

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything , but here is a picture of what I have....is this like yours?

CIMG1754.jpg

CIMG1756.jpg

sorry i am not good at pictures and have no clue how to do macro unless i take video, but this is the best I could get....

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything , but here is a picture of what I have....is this like yours?

CIMG1754.jpg

CIMG1756.jpg

sorry i am not good at pictures and have no clue how to do macro unless i take video, but this is the best I could get....

that is not what i have and it is pom pom xenia :)

So what kind of lights are you going to be getting? Sorry if you already stated.

the lighting system for my tank will be a PFO solaris 72" fixture (I4) not arriving until next month. :) temporary lighting for now is the LFS's 48" solaris I4 fixture they had on their display. its a bit short, but allows me to keep my corals in temporary places underneath the light.

thank you very much for clearifying that for me...they have gotten pretty bleached out from my lights and I am trying to get that figured out--i have only had a tank for two months and those are my first corals. I also have a gsp that is getting bleached out..arg...i will get it worked out eventually i spose...i am hoping that when i put them in my cycling 75 gal that they will get some color back

more fish added and a new blue goni!

clown tang

119F4979.jpg

purple tang. the purple tang was damaged in transit to the store on the fin on the left side of it's body. it has been in fish collection for over two months now and is fat and healthy. i ended up getting this particular purple tang because it had the greatest personality. only waited so long to make sure the fin would grow back.

119F4977.jpg

i also got a blue goni. it was open at fish collection, but has yet to open in my tank. you get a picture of how intense the blue is though with this shot.

119F4981.jpg

:)

sorry for horrible picture quality. i didnt have much time, and the fish would not stand still! (duh) i'll try and get some better shots. the clown tang was awesome at the lfs, so i just had to get it ;) i really like how the addition of tangs has allowed my blue tang to become much more outgoing and not so skittish. :) feeding the purple tang ulva algae for now.

tarajean0627

That is one HUGE tank!!!! I love the aquascape! please keep up the update and pictures and FTSs as I now have to live vicariously through you and your awsome tank! LOL :) Again everything looks great!

Sarah

PS could you get a side shot picture. I would like to see the rock scape from the side and see how much room you have in the front of the tank. Cuz to tell you the truth from the front it looks just packed!! But very cool!

thanks :blush: i got a side shot. the distance from the bottom of the rockwork to the acrylic is more than it looks though. it is 3-4". then it just pretty much gets bigger.

EDIT: forgot to post picture :P

119F4659.jpg

all the pumps on the tank have been changed. no longer running quiet 1 6000's because they were too hot. changed both returns and protein skimmer pump to reeflo snappers (by sequence) tank is back to 78-79 from 82.

top down shots change the look of corals COMPLETELY

rainbow acans

67c957b9.jpg

purple death fakes, but very pretty (and fast growing)

ccfde235.jpg

welso, kinda dark shot

ba1adb05.jpg

brown cinnamon palys

febaa266.jpg

elegance coral (1 month and counting)

94240e47.jpg

awesome zoanthids from fish collection (no parasite came off in the dip) all the shots i got were blurry, this is the least blurry.

9b87679a.jpg

crocea clam, blurry, but the picture has great color that is lost through acrylic

6dbf8b73.jpg

pulsing xenia with my ORA duncans as a backdrop

9df232e7.jpg

last but not least is a blurry video which shows top down colors throughout the right half of the tank

th_4d32c970.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wow thats a lot of rock!

Daily scooter spawnings, that must be awesome!

yea its almost too much :huh: .

the scooter spawning are very cool. the male shows off his stuff for about five minutes and they do their thing ;) .

Archived