Pod Your Reef

abe's 285g who doesnt like a picture update?

abe

no update here for a while. just had to say. one of my harlies died. RIP :'(

it lost a claw about a month ago, and last night the nass snails pwned it. dont know why it was slowly dying, there were no off params, and it was eating like a champ. other harlequin shrimp is very healthy. it actually was trying to rip the other harlie out of the pile of nass snails. oh well. sh*t happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i jsut got a pair of picasso clowns :) pictures tomorrow when they are more comfortable (easier picture to take)

Nice tank. This makes my new 80 seem small! How long did it take for it to cycle?

only took 1 month actually. i got most of my LR fully cycled (been in the bin for months and months) for $2/lb at a LFS and the rest came from my 65g (which was 2yrs old). we also boosted the bacteria population using Fritz turbostart... like.. supercocentrated bacteria... :)

only took 1 month actually. i got most of my LR fully cycled (been in the bin for months and months) for $2/lb at a LFS and the rest came from my 65g (which was 2yrs old). we also boosted the bacteria population using Fritz turbostart... like.. supercocentrated bacteria... :)

Mine's been like 3 weeks and it just cycled. I used some bacteria supplement and have 110lbs or LR. When I bought it they said it was cured but I think not, so that slowed it down with all the die off.

GrandpaFeathers

wow!

really nice! With that much rock, the question isn't ever really whether or not you've got crabs or mantises, it more like How much?

haha, i always accept crab and mantis hitch hikers. I collect mantises, and well-- the crabs-- They like to play with the mantises.

I pay shipping, plus some on top if you ask for it.

wow!

really nice! With that much rock, the question isn't ever really whether or not you've got crabs or mantises, it more like How much?

haha, i always accept crab and mantis hitch hikers. I collect mantises, and well-- the crabs-- They like to play with the mantises.

I pay shipping, plus some on top if you ask for it.

... no mantises... only seen one crab, and that was months ago and havent seen it since. the rock was mainly to keep the tank's bioload stable as possible.

picasso clown pictures

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

:)

only the purple tang and blue tang had small issues with the little additions. they already ignore the clowns. the female clown actually swam right by my other pair of clowns with no incident.

Good looking kids Abe! They look like a couple that I know...

Great tank! I'm looking forward to following all of your great work!

Md's Finest

Awesome clowns man. Great tank too. I really like your choice of stuff for the tank. How's the waterchange on a 285 ?

Awesome clowns man. Great tank too. I really like your choice of stuff for the tank. How's the waterchange on a 285 ?

im doing one right now actually. its not bad i mix my own water in a 120 gallon resevoir. had to do an unplanned wc today beause caulerpa in the fuge went sexual... turned of the returns and am letting the protein skimmer do its job, but the display had to be changed. i usually do 30-40g waterchanges. i dont realy check though, just to what i think is enough.

got both of the new fish to eat today. they didn't eat pellet like at the LFS though, but i have a different brand. they ate frozen mysis though, so i am not complaining.

are you sure you got picassos?? im sure they are great fish regardless but i hope you didnt pay picasso prices for regular false pers... ORA link

"The Picasso Percula is a selectively bred True Percula Clownfish with erratic misbarring, similar to a jigsaw puzzle piece, covering over 75% of its body. A very small percentage of offspring of Picasso pairs retain these characteristics. Each fish is unique with its own distinctive misbarring. Because of the limited occurrence of the misbarring, availability of the Picasso Percula is limited. " -Site

are you sure you got picassos?? im sure they are great fish regardless but i hope you didnt pay picasso prices for regular false pers... ORA link

"The Picasso Percula is a selectively bred True Percula Clownfish with erratic misbarring, similar to a jigsaw puzzle piece, covering over 75% of its body. A very small percentage of offspring of Picasso pairs retain these characteristics. Each fish is unique with its own distinctive misbarring. Because of the limited occurrence of the misbarring, availability of the Picasso Percula is limited. " -Site

i know the characteristis of a picasso, and i know that these are picassos. there's no reason for a lfs to pay a huge contract with ora to sell their goods and then try to rip people off on fake picassos. the lfs i got them from got them direct from ORA. search up a seller in 92863. its eye candy quariums. he got over 15 of these fish in the initial shipment. all sold now.

here's a picture showing some irregular patterns.

119F5132-1.jpg

the thing is clowns are not just born with stripes. the stripes have to develop. these are extremely young picassos... and the irregular middle bar proves just that much. :) sorry if that sounded jerkish... im not trying to, just saying what i knowz ;)

EDIT: i just wish these guys would sit still for a picture. also, the wierd patterns are only on one half of the fish right now. the other side has it coming, just not as defined as this side. there are also little white spots between middle bar and last bar (misbarring coming in) :)

you dont sound like a jerk if your happy with them thats good... i was under the impression that clowns are born with the white strips and only the black will expand... i know i got my clowns (not picassos mind you) around 1/2inch big and they had full bars, only thing that has changed so far is the darkining of the body while white remains the same... heres a site with pics of young picassos link

you dont sound like a jerk if your happy with them thats good... i was under the impression that clowns are born with the white strips and only the black will expand... i know i got my clowns (not picassos mind you) around 1/2inch big and they had full bars, only thing that has changed so far is the darkining of the body while white remains the same... heres a site with pics of young picassos link

thanks for the link. but those picassos for sure are not in the 4 month period. they are 8-10 months old. mine are extremely young. only one month ago, there was zero striping when i saw them at the LFS. from what i see, picassos develop stripes slower.

I personally love percs. period. i already have a pair in my tank who do not feel bothered by the new addition at all (to my surprise). i love the black that is not evident in occelaris clowns.

revaltion131
look what happens when hundreds of tiny worms move together

IMG_0404.jpg

sorry, but pictures will be resized.

That's a little nasty. The tang looks like he's thinking "what the he!! is this stuff? :eek: " He/she is probably not really, but it's still a funny pic.

Excellent tank, wish I had the money to do one, hehe.

That's a little nasty. The tang looks like he's thinking "what the he!! is this stuff? :eek: " He/she is probably not really, but it's still a funny pic.

Excellent tank, wish I had the money to do one, hehe.

i know its nasty. its all cool for me. my golden sailfin blenny ate the whole colony of worms... fat little bugger.

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks of skimming. collection cup is 6" diameter and 12" tall. but my nog is opaque, there's no seeing through that nasty crap

IMG_0428.jpg

yellow sailfin blenny update. he's eating pellets now

IMG_0422.jpg

:thumbsup:

i really don't have much to update on.

MOAR

starting with an FTS

FTS-1.jpg

echino from pheallox. it colored up FAST.

CHALICE.jpg

these zoas grew out nice. the brown looking palys in the lower left are actually a green color with GOLD speckles. definately bringing some of those to MNS 7.

ZoasEDITED.jpg

part of my zoa garden in the making (must wait for them to grow out) please excuse the clownfish blur

IMG_0535.jpg

pink zoas

IMG_0548.jpg

i was mostly messing around with camera settings.

EDIT: come july 20... i will finally get to use the light fixture i paid for. damn PFO and all their delays.

• 2 weeks later...

Fragglereef mini "mini" carpet anemones have great color!

IMG_0848.jpg

darth maul

IMG_0852.jpg

finally a semi-decent shot of my blastos

IMG_0858.jpg

echinos

IMG_0863.jpg

kedd's redds

IMG_0864.jpg

green grandis update... look at how many polyps there are now :D

IMG_0865.jpg

i bring piece of this to meet on sunday anyone wanna call dibs?

IMG_0879.jpg

also... i am keeping my dendros away from everything for now... my purple tang is stealing food from it so aggressively one of the polyps is going downhill. gotta catch the purple tang...

i am going to an lfs today and will hopefully get some schooling fish. :D will be a cool additition to the tank.

messing around with photography again...

119F5151.jpg

119F5153.jpg

119F5156.jpg

119F5169.jpg

119F5172.jpg

NO PHOTO MANIPULATION EXCEPT RESIZING. all the shots were at f/22 except the clownfish shot was at f/2.8... its hard to take fish with longer shutter, but i will keep trying. basically... i was testing what i could do with my dad's EOS 1D on manual mode (ive never played around with manual before) they turned out ok to me.

Archived