Pod Your Reef

I think my derasa clam sprouted a baby.

glennr1978

I was looking at my tank today and noticed what appears to be a baby clam sprouted off of the side of my derasa clam.It's about the size of a dime and opens and closes just like the derasa does. Here's a couple pics.

DSCF3371.jpg[/img]

DSCF3369.jpg[/img]

DSCF3370.jpg[/img]

DSCF3372.jpg[/img]

So what do you guys think, is it a baby clam or something else??

usssturgeon187

I was uder the impretion that they reproduced sexualy ( sperm & eggs in the water ) . I will have to go read my books again ! keep us updated on this one . Its new to me !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it seems a little suspicion of a spot for a baby clam considering how they repoduce. I would be concerned it might be a parasite or something.

I think it seems a little suspicion of a spot for a baby clam considering how they repoduce. I would be concerned it might be a parasite or something.

That was my first guess, but it really looks alot like the derasa. Any ideas as to what kind of a parasite it could be?

can you get a macro of it?

lol, that is a macro. my camera sucks.

I'll try to get a video of it in a little while. I can get better close ups with the video camera. It's gonna be a couple hours though, I've got to get my daughter fed, bathed, and off to bed pretty soon.

I just went and took a look at it again and the shell looks very similar to the derasa's.

It might be worth taking the clam out to get a good shot. It would show the shell or carapace of the little growth better too.

It might be worth taking the clam out to get a good shot. It would show the shell or carapace of the little growth better too.

It's attached to the LR so I can't get it out without tearing up my whole aquascape.

It's attached to the LR so I can't get it out without tearing up my whole aquascape.

Never mind then. Any chance of "borrowing" a DSLR?

Looks like you just got an oyster/clam/muscle of some type growing out of your clam by coincidence.

yeah I think you're right. After looking at a bit more, the shape of the shell is a little different. Either way I'm going to let it be for now. It doesn't seem to be bothering the clam at all.

Agreed. They do reproduce sexually but that doesn't mean that isn't one that landed there before you got it and began to grow. Sweet.

BTW I bought some LR today... ;)

• 1 month later...

The way these things are farmed (huge shallow runways with many hundreds or thousand of clams) it is entirely possible that a derasa larva settled on your clam and started growing there without the clam farmer ever noticing. You may very well have gotten a 2-for-1.

The way these things are farmed (huge shallow runways with many hundreds or thousand of clams) it is entirely possible that a derasa larva settled on your clam and started growing there without the clam farmer ever noticing. You may very well have gotten a 2-for-1.

i highly highly doubt that.

most likely its a barnacle or another hitchhiker bivalve that is often found in maricultured coral bases

most likely its a barnacle or another hitchhiker bivalve that is often found in maricultured coral bases

Stranger things have happened in this hobby, though you are probably right.

I once saw a chunk of fiji rock that somehow had a small embedded crocea live through the shipping and curing process. Incredibly unlikely, sure. But possible nonetheless.

Is there any way we could get a better shot of this little guy?

glennr1978

Nah, I don't think it's a baby clam after all. It's not a barnacle either, just some other sort of weird little bivalve. It's still not bothering the clam at all so I'm leaving it alone.

Is there any way we could get a better shot of this little guy?

the batteries in the camera are dead at the monent :( .

• 1 year later...

Archived