Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chuck's Red Sea Max -- Harrisburg PA

Oceanic 30g

Oceanic 30g

Hmmm... I wonder if that would help me. I spent lie 2 hours cleaning the rock. There is still some there. I am hoping the 2 water changes and the removal of the nitrates will suppress it. If not, I need to check the source water for phosphates. I am calling the company that supplies it today. What kind of UV Sterilizer did you get?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, my tank is overrun with hair algae......

You really need patience for this hobby...

My RSM is about 1 month old now and I also had a ton of green hair algae until I bought a yellow tang and it cleared the entire tank in 1 day.

Gil

Oceanic 30g

Hmmm...

I think you should post pics of the yellow tang on the site. I am sure everyone here would appreciate it!

Hmmm... I wonder if that would help me. I spent lie 2 hours cleaning the rock. There is still some there. I am hoping the 2 water changes and the removal of the nitrates will suppress it. If not, I need to check the source water for phosphates. I am calling the company that supplies it today. What kind of UV Sterilizer did you get?

It's a 15w Current-USA model.

lilredneckman

Hey Chuck, dont feel too bad. I have a slight GHA problem also. All of my parms are fine and i am using RO water from Walmart. Its hard to find the source but i just take a toothbrush and scrub it away and vacume it up during a water change, this seems to be helping a little.

My RSM is about 1 month old now and I also had a ton of green hair algae until I bought a yellow tang and it cleared the entire tank in 1 day.

Gil

Watch out for the Tang police here.... they are scary

Oceanic 30g

Phix

I am going to check into that one

Redneck

I did that over the weekend with a plastic kitchen brush. PIA. It seems to have helped. I am done the cycle and into my normal maintenance mode. I will do a 4 gallon water change every week. This seems to keep a tank in perfect shape. Cannot wait to add some stuff. I am taking it very slowly right now.

Oceanic 30g

Ok. I am not seeing anymore GHA growth. I am going to do a water change this weekend and add a couple fish and a hardy coral. Water is crystal clear and params are spot on.

Oceanic 30g

Woke up this morning at 5 and went downstairs to workout. My tank was hissing and filled with bubbles. I guess the filter media was pasked with stuff and it was causing the water level to drop. Pulled out the media. I will have to rinse it off when I do a water change. I seriously never had these little bullsh?t issues with any other tank I have had.

Oceanic 30g

I am going to take a bunch this weekend. I have had to wait to add stuff!

I am ditching the skimmer and I am set on doing a fuge in the back. Why not go a little different direction from the pack? (Not sure what to use for a fuge light)

nice, give it a try, weekly water changes can make up for the loss of the skimmer.

there is some info here on led lighting options, check out the lighting thread, i will take a look at ideas later today

Oceanic 30g

That is priceless.

To catch you up...

Started tank

Got Hair Algae

No more Hair Algea

Tank cycled

Skimmer svcks

Added a Tunze 6025 powerhead

Taking skimmer out

Doing a fuge

Ok lol. I work nights so 7am is 7pm to me. About your tank. I guess I got lucky. I put the live rock in and a week later I had that nappy brown hair algie on all my rock so I got 20 herms a pep shrimp and a fake clown on the same day and no mo algie since. I change the skimmer and put the media basket in and the only prob I got is the micro bubbles and the algie on my glass.

Oh yea and if you get info on the fuge thang let me know cuz I wanna try that also. I be thte cheto would get rid of the stuf floating in my tank

nope made my own. I had trouble getting the flow through it correct but I think I have got it figured out now. It is the same setup as Steve T's.

Oceanic 30g

Ok...

I am going to post some pics tomorrow.

I have a lot of space in the back of the tank now with the skimmer gone. Figuring that part out.

I bought a hydor flow and some more snails. I also got 2 green chromis.

I added the first coral for this tank. A nice yellow pollyp.

Archived