Top Shelf Aquatics

Chuck's Red Sea Max -- Harrisburg PA

Oceanic 30g

Glad I could entertain you today B)

Look at it this way... You brought joy and mirth into their lives with practically no effort on your part.

Yeah... People laugh at me all the time. ;)

... so little effort on my part. :P

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oceanic 30g

Matt,

Thanks man.

I am pulling my hair out a bit. I didn't wash off the carib sea livesand, so right now the tank is still cloudy. I could have sworn that I read not to wash the stuff, becuase it will wash away the bacteria. Oh well. I have charcoal in there and a fine grade filter pad to pull out the particles. I may need to wait to add the rock. No big deal. I am trying right now to figure out the best setup to maintain the apprpriate water level. I guess its normal, you need to timker with the tank to get it where you want it.

I didn't wash my sand when I moved my old AP12 into my Finnex 30g. Then again I put in a fresh 20lbs bag of Agra-Alive Indo-Pacific on the bottom, and put a layer of about 10lbs. of the 20lbs. of sand I had in the AP12, ontop. Tank was only cloudy for the first couple hours of turn on the pumps.

Oceanic 30g

It took mine longer to clear up but the charcoal and the filter pad over it worked great. It is pretty clear now. I just need to wipe the dust off the glass and I will be ready to go with the rock.

I am thinking 30 or so pounds of fiji and then maybe a couple nice pieces of tonga branch for the look.

I am pretty sure that I am going to need to upgrade the skimmer. We will see.

that water level you have in the picture looks about right for surface skimming. Try rasing the grate if it doesn't help.

Oceanic 30g

Thanks. I think the grate was moved all the way to the bottom to keep the water level in the pump section up. I added some media to clear up the sandstorm I created with the addition of the sand

Oceanic 30g

I decided to support one of the site sponsors and get the rock from Premium Aquatics. I am getting 40 lbs of cured premium fiji. I am ordering in tomorrow and it should be in on Thursday.

Oceanic 30g

I placed the order for 40 lbs of Fiji cured liverock. It should be here Thursday. I will post a pic of the box opening.

Oceanic 30g

I hope so Phixion. If its not, I am going to have to travel out to Illinois and take little Stevie's rock.

Oceanic 30g

I have a large box sitting in my office and I really want to open it! The live rock from Premium Aquatics is here! I will put it in the tank tonight and take some pics.

NICE !!!!!!!!

ROCK ROCKS

where else but in a the reef hobby can you be excited about a box of rocks being delivered!!

Oceanic 30g

Ok...

I am really happy I got 40 pounds of rock. This tank needs it. Thanks Stevie on that advice. Here it is. I tried to get some ledges and ad some interesting formations. It took about 2 hours by the time I unpacked it, put it out on a fold out table, washed it in salt water, and placed it in the tank.

IMG_1235.jpg

Oceanic 30g

The pic makes the rock look a lot whiter than it really is. There is more coraline on it than this shows. I turned the skimmer on to see what it could pull out. It immediately started foaming and taking some nasty cr?p out. I will let you all know how that goes. I have a feeling I would be better with an upgrade.

Oceanic 30g

Thanks Phixion. I guess the waiting begins now. I seriously cannot believe how much cr?p the skimmer is pulling out. I have to say that Premium Aquatics came through.

Oceanic 30g

I woke up this morning and everything is looking pretty good. I am running charcoal right now just to clear some of the smaller particles out. I decided to run the skimmer for the same reason. I must have a lot of cr?p in the tank due to live rock die off because the skimmer is kicking right now. It is putting out a steady stream of bubbles leading to a dark green nasty skimmate. I am not going to say that the bubbles are totally dry, but they are not overly wet either. So far I am not disappointed with it.

That is some awesome looking rock! Watch out for running carbon and the skimmer during the cycle, it may prolong it. you do want some of that die off in the tank to give you an ammonia kick start.

Oceanic 30g

Thanks Stevie. I think they sent out some nice stuff. I had abount 2 pounds of waste rubble that got broken in transit, but I think they shipped more than 40 pounds so my net was above 40. I thought about it and I agree. I will take the carbon out this weekend and I will probably stop skimming as well. I wanted to get rid of the bulk garbage though.

PS...Skimmer is working like a champ. You have no skills!

PS...Skimmer is working like a champ. You have no skills!

Whoah! Did you hear what he said about you? :huh:

You gonna take that? :naughtydance:

:slap:

:lol:

I did see another report where a user did get the RSM skimmer working, but IIRC it required some mods. On a tank this new, I'm going to take "skimmer working" reports with a grain of salt. If it is still working well 6 months from now I wanna hear about it!

-hank

aquascaper08
NICE !!!!!!!!

ROCK ROCKS

where else but in a the reef hobby can you be excited about a box of rocks being delivered!!

Very nine looking rocks! What type of lighting is in your tanks?

Oceanic 30g

Hank

I agree. I just put rock in the tank that has been sitting for 48 hours in transit. Anything would produce skimmate.

Scaper

Thanks for the compliment. I am using stock lighting. 110w T5 PC whatever you want to call them. The lighting is very good. i am surprised at how good it really is.

Archived