Innovative Marine Aquariums

The M9 Project

el fabuloso

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ja, if anyone is a copycat, that would be me. :P

Looks great, Aaron! Sorry to see most of the macros have gone away, but the caulerpa still adds some color and character to the mix. Seems like it's going strong!

Oops, mah bad... :P

its funny, this tank is an aio and I'm looking to do a DIY build, its because of this tank and the LR

still amazed, looks great bud.

Ian

Thanks! How big of a tank are you looking at? I wish they'd make one a little bigger like maybe a 12- or 15-gallon tank.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
its funny, this tank is an aio and I'm looking to do a DIY build, its because of this tank and the LR

still amazed, looks great bud.

Ian

gave up on the DIY and bought and aqua pod and stocked it with florida premium LR.

ITS SWEET.

UPPDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTATATTAATATATE!

Say, Fabuloso, what did you do with the wet/dry trickle arrangement in the back? I'm thinking about getting one of these. Did you just gut that and add a canister filter?

gave up on the DIY and bought and aqua pod and stocked it with florida premium LR.

ITS SWEET.

Well that was easy! :lol:

Say, Fabuloso, what did you do with the wet/dry trickle arrangement in the back? I'm thinking about getting one of these. Did you just gut that and add a canister filter?

I took out the trickle racks except for the first rack to hold all the chaeto up and prevent them from clogging up the pump. Then I have it supplemented with a canister filter for my mechanical and chemical media.

This tank is currently going through an "awkward" phase so there isn't much to update nor do I have anything flattering to show. The hitchhiker brain coral was stung to death by the torch coral and one of the heads on the torch coral for no apparent reason. All the parameters are in shape so I'm still trying to figure out what might have gone wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick Update

This tank was on the brink of crashing and I couldn't keep the nitrates low enough for a couple of weeks. The good news: all the mushrooms and macros survived and are happy. The bad news: all the LPS corals died. Even the cool hitchhiker ones. :( That's what happens when you get a fish in a nano, rearrange everything and not do water changes for a month.

The tank will live on as a softy only tank. I'll be sure to update soon with some pics.

CONSUMER ALERT: A couple of months ago the switch on the fixture shorted and burst into flames and had to be replaced. Just a cautionary note for anyone who have this tank.

• 4 weeks later...
Ahem ;)

Sigh... I still haven't gotten around to taking new photos but I did find some really good photos of the tank that I took back in August. These are probably the best photos I've taken of this tank during its peak. If nothing else, it'll make for good juxtaposition when I finally post how the tank looks now. :(

Enjoy.

CIMG5780.jpg

CIMG5812.jpg

At this point the LPS corals were all thriving and growing.

CIMG5779.jpg

CIMG5782.jpg

CIMG5816.jpg

A couple of macro shots of the mushrooms which all survived the catastrophe (not surprisingly):

CIMG5786.jpg

CIMG5805.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

THE HORROR!!

I was finally able to snap some photos of this tank and it has gotten even worst. Brace yourself—the photos you are about to see are not pretty and may be painful to watch. :scarry:

CIMG6687.jpg

CIMG6686.jpg

CIMG6689.jpg

CIMG6688.jpg

Only the soft corals survived the crash and all the macroalgae which have completely overrun the tank and turned it into a jungle.

CIMG6706.jpg

CIMG6704.jpg

On a more positive note, the black ocellaris has finally hosted the hairy mushroom.

CIMG6694.jpg

CIMG6700.jpg

The simple explanation is that this tank has been completely neglected. It's a miracle it even gets topped off and that the fish is fed regularly. There's still a lot of life present which breaks my heart and it amazes me how resilient they've been so that gives me a lot of hope to bring this tank back up on its feet. I will be pulling up my sleeves this weekend to take drastic measures and get this tank back up and running again.

I have been there. Last year when I moved I was so busy that thetank suffered. I am sure with a few hours you will have it looking great.

I was considering buying one of these for softies. The fire thing makes me nervous...

Archived