Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The M9 Project

el fabuloso

Your thread is a beautiful read and the pictures amazing. Makes me want to start a pico for some sexy shrimp. I feel they would just get lost in the tank I'm working on. Ah well...maybe down the road when I have some more experience.

BTW - Happy Birthday!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
el fabuloso

Thank you! How big is your tank now? There's plenty of room in the Sexy Club so if you ever feel the urge... LOL!

BTW - Happy Birthday!

Awww... you're sweet. Thank you! :blush:

It's a much hated JBJ...the Nano-Cube 28g. :P It's only been up two weeks and the only for sure plans I have for it is a pair of Australian black and white clownfish. A pico next to my bed with some sexies would be very fitting. I just want to get the hang of water chemistry first with a larger tank before I try my hand at a pico.

Your pictures make me want to get a new camera. My camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-T10 7.2MP) is great for normal use but since I've tried taking some close up shots of my tank I find it kinda depressing. Oh well.

I love this thread! Where did you get the light kit? Did it come pre-wired? What are the future coral plans?

Also, I wonder if it would be possible to do some T5's on a tank like this :blink: Im seriously thinking about getting one of these tanks cause im falling in love with it. Its perfect for what I want, im just not sure about the acrylic scratching and what not. What do ya'll use to clean it??

Thanks! ;)

-texx

ps-Happy SEXY BE-LATED B-DAY!!! :blush:

usssturgeon187

Fab Happy B-day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay . Like my pm said we want more ( pics & discriptions of the progress) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

el fabuloso

Thanks guys! :blush:

The tank is almost done cycling so I can finally start having fun! Technically the tank isn't mine so stocking it will take some compromise for the most part. The preliminary plan is to have patches of zoas on the sand, palys, mushrooms and ricordeas in the middle areas and a nice torch or frogspawn coral on the top. It might also be cool to have some Xenias crawling up the back wall. As for inverts, I'm thinking a couple of emerald crabs could add some interest. I really want to keep a pistol shrimp-goby pair but my friend isn't warming up to the idea.

I'm not big on a acrylic tanks myself but so far there's no scratches. I'll be ordering a Nimble Nano soon to replace the weak Mag-Float. The fixture came pre-wired with the canopy and is decent for what I plan to keep in this tank. Retrofitting the canopy with T5 wouldn't be hard at all so that's another plus. The LED moonlight isn't great, it's small and off towards the back that it looks like a small pin-light at night instead of filling the whole tank but this is just an aesthetic issue so no big deal.

This tank looks great!!! I am thinking about getting one myself for my desk. Just a couple questions for ya.

1) Have you converted the drip trays to a fuge yet, if so how are you lighting it?

2) Are you having any heat issues?

3) How hard do you think it would be to replace the PCs with T5s later on?

4) Would you have rather upgraded the return, or do you like the Koralia Nano.

Seems like a perfect desk top tank, got my finger on the Left-click button, ready to buy this thing, lol.

el fabuloso

Sorry for the delay, work has been getting in the way of N-R today! Grrr!! :angry:

To answer your questions:

1. The tank just finished cycling so I'll be completing the fuge conversion this weekend. I'm lighting it with a Galaxy Lamp from Drs. Foster & Smith (Link). I'll be sure to take photos of the process.

2. No heat issues at all. The light comes with a fan which does a good job of cooling the canopy. Other than that there are no heat issues with the pump.

3. I really think it would be easy to retrofit the canopy on this tank. Just a few simple screws and the whole thing can be taken out completely.

4. The return pump is fairly decent for the size of the tank so I have no issues with it. The Koralia Nano is awesome, I highly recommend it!

All in all it's a good tank. It has nice curves and an overall sexy appearance! The stock light is pretty good but can be easily upgraded to something better. The only real challenge is converting the drip trays into a fuge but other than that the tank is great I doubt you'll be disappointed. ;)

Hey do you think that one Koralia Nano is enough for your tank? Do you think that 2 would be overkill for a 10G?

el fabuloso

One Month Update

The tank is completely filthy! I've employed the help of four snails (1 astrea, 2 ceriths and 1 nassarius) and a big blue-legged hermit crab from my pico.

CIMG4549.jpg

CIMG4543.jpg

The snails are having a tough time tackling the hair algae that's growing everywhere so more hermits will be recruited.

Caulerpa has overgrown the tank and had to be pruned. Lately it seems like I've been harvesting a lot of macroalgae.

CIMG4537.jpg

CIMG4536.jpg

More mystery creatures...

CIMG4541.jpg

Can you see it? Looks to me like some kind of tunicate with its siphon wide open.

CIMG4538.jpg

The brain coral seems to be doing okay with more macroalgae encroaching around it.

CIMG4547.jpg

Also got some mushrooms to start with.

All in all the tank is still looking good. All parameters have been stable the last two weeks so I'm convinced that tank has fully cycled.

CIMG4533.jpg

CIMG4545.jpg

CIMG4534.jpg

I'll be installing the light this weekend and putting chaeto in the back chamber thus completing the fuge conversion. I'll be sure to take pics to post on here. Stay tuned!

Great pictures! I've been thinking about adding an emerald crab to my tank as well, so looking forward to the pictures if you do get one. I've seen them eat grape caulpera. Wonder if they will take care of your fan caulpera too?

Can't wait to see what you do with that back compartment. This tank looks like it has so much potential. Its too bad that the price was raised on it. But then again I don't have to explain to the hubby why there would be another tank in our house!

• 2 weeks later...
el fabuloso

At the moment it's completely plagued with hair algae! I had to recruit more hermits and an emerald crab to help clean the mess. The emerald crab feasted nonstop for a whole day and then hid to molt. I finally put in some chaeto in the fuge last night, I'll make sure to put up pics later when I get home. :)

OK sweet! I love the look of this tank and I'm curious to see as to how it does. Any new info. on stocking plans??

-texx

el fabuloso

I envision a black occelaris hosting a nice frogspawn. :happy: I still think a goby/pistol shrimp duo would be nice in this tank. Still trying to convince my friend.

I love the M-9 tanks! I want to make one with just rics and a mated pair of harlequin shrimp, hopefully the pink and white ones. I want black sand too. How exciting. I will be tagging along. Your algae is extremely colorful too el.

el fabuloso

Black sound would totally look amazing in this tank! I kinda wish I had put black sand in this tank especially now that I'm thinking about keeping a black occelaris.

el fabuloso

Week 6

I finally got some chaeto in the fuge last weekend. With chaeto growing out the wazoo in my pico's fuge, it was easy for me to weed out a decent clump for this tank. I know I've been slacking on this thread so I made sure to take lots of pics.

CIMG4699.jpg

There's not a lot of room in the back chamber so I'll have to make sure to harvest out the chaeto once it takes off.

CIMG4702.jpg

The Galaxy lamp propped up over the back chamber.

CIMG4708.jpg

This was a hard pic to take but here's the back chamber when lit.

The light bleeds a little into the tank. Hopefully this won't cause too many problems.

CIMG4705.jpg

CIMG4712.jpg

CIMG4710.jpg

I decided to run a reverse photo period on this tank just as I do on my pico.

And now with the lights on...

CIMG4675.jpg

CIMG4687.jpg

HAIR ALGAE!!!

And tons of macroalgae as well.

CIMG4684.jpg

CIMG4692.jpg

CIMG4694.jpg

So I ended up getting more hermits, snails and an emerald crab to help trim things down.

CIMG4680.jpg

CIMG4682.jpg

CIMG4695.jpg

CIMG4716.jpg

CIMG4721.jpg

At the time I took these photos, the emerald crab had gone into hiding to molt. He feasted for two days straight and stuffed himself so much he had to molt to make room. :happy:

CIMG4679.jpg

The mushrooms are doing fine. Note the grape caulerpa growing at the bottom of the rock.

CIMG4714.jpg

The hitchhiker brain coral overrun by macroalgae

CIMG4686.jpg

The mystery bivalve (still don't know what it is!) is becoming less shy.

So far the crabs have done a tremendous job at trimming things down. Hopefully they'll be completely caught up by this weekend on time for me to take better pics of this tank.

So nice to get all those pics--they really tell the story! I like the way you show it like it is, pest algae & all--actually, it's pretty interesting to see the tank all overgrown like that. There are certainly plenty of cool things going on amidst the algae. What an incredible variety of macros. Glad the CUC is doing so well for you.

The pics with the fuge light bleeding over are quite striking! :)

--Diane

Archived