Cultivated Reef

Yes, another 10 gallon build.

SaltWaterNewb

I Ate A Cake

I love your custom hood and stand. Can I see some pics of the inside of your hood? Do you have like a "step by step" set-up of the hood/stand?

Wow, I am asking a lot. Sorry for being so nosey and asking questions. Just answer whatever you can/want. :happy:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SaltWaterNewb
I love your custom hood and stand. Can I see some pics of the inside of your hood? Do you have like a "step by step" set-up of the hood/stand?

Wow, I am asking a lot. Sorry for being so nosey and asking questions. Just answer whatever you can/want. :happy:

No need to apologize. Ask away. I will do my best to answer anything you have questions about. I don't have step by step instructions but I will do my best to describe how I did it (very very simple). I will also pop the hood and get some inside pictures, but it will all have to wait until tomorrow. Time for bed and the little one is restless...lol

Oh, and noonbo, where in VA are you?

noobofreefs
Oh, and noonbo, where in VA are you?

My address is Centreville, but I'm on the border of like Chantilly and Fairfax. I mapquested the city you said you lived and it was like a 2 hr drive I think. So not tooo bad...

I Ate A Cake

I'll bump this back up.

I plan on doing something pretty similar to this now. 10G tank, hood and stand, same light, etc. I plan on using the same light as you; how do you like it?

SaltWaterNewb

So far it seems pretty good. I don't have any corals yet but just ordered my first, a zoa frag so we shall see. Seems plenty bright to me and it is a 50/50 bulb so I think all should be good.

And just as an update, I added 4 snails as my CUC and they are doing quite the number on the diatoms and the little bit of hair algae that is sprouting up. Parameters holding steady and I did a 50% water change before adding the snails.

I still need to get the info on my stand and hood for you too Percula. I will try to do that soon.

CarterNichols
My address is Centreville, but I'm on the border of like Chantilly and Fairfax. I mapquested the city you said you lived and it was like a 2 hr drive I think. So not tooo bad...

Hey, i am in Woodbridge..

you are the first person i have seen from NoVa on here, I use Centerville Aquarium as my LFS..

noobofreefs
Hey, i am in Woodbridge..

you are the first person i have seen from NoVa on here, I use Centerville Aquarium as my LFS..

I live right near Centreville aquariums! I used to go there all the time for freshwater but not so much anymore. It had been getting worse and worse lately. Has it improved? There's a much better place called marine scene, it's all saltwater and cool staff; in herndon I think. Plus it's got a lot better selection. Try to make a trip there.

That's funny though...you are the first peron I've seen in NoVa too. Seems like it's all Californians and Floridians...

SaltWaterNewb

I used to live in Herndon....lol....for a short time and many years ago. My dad lived there until he moved to Gainesville about 2 years ago.

CarterNichols

small freaking world!

SWN, i hope you aren't a mountaineers fan, i am a blue devil, so i would have to hate you ;)

SaltWaterNewb

lol...not a sports fan so we can be friends.

So, I git my first shot of color in the tank yesterday. I received an Australian Duncan and a 6 polyp frag of Whamin' Watermelon zoas from Mr. Coral. Duncan is open and looking great. I just mounted the zoa a couple hours ago since it came loose so it is just starting to open. Here is a crappy pic of the duncan and I will get a pic of the zoa when it opens.

Duncan2.jpg

SaltWaterNewb

Not yet. I am going to take some tomorrow. Been working nights this past week so during the day after I wake up I have been pretty lazy.

SaltWaterNewb

Another duncan shot after it opened more. I am using a new camera so not as great as it could be. Still no zoa pictures cause I can't get a good shot of them so still working on that.

DuncanMacroD80.jpg

I Ate A Cake

What type of coral(s) do you plan on keeping? Softies, LPS?

Sorry to be picky, but just wondering when the canopy DIY thing would be ready. Thanks.

SaltWaterNewb

Thanks. The Duncan is very cool. I plan on getting some other colors as well. There are only three maybe four colors of them so that kinda sux but still a cool coral.

The first pics are from my Nikon D70. The Duncan is from the Nikon D80 I just got yesterday.

SaltWaterNewb

Thanks.

Here is a bad pic of my zoas. They are not opened much cause the lights just came on. I'll try to get better later.

Zoas.jpg

SaltWaterNewb

Well, after some consideration and after adding my first corals, I see that I am going to run in to space issues with my current rock-scape and I don't want to re-scape so I decided to do the next best thing, I am getting a new bigger tank !!!! New one will be 24x18x14. I am pretty much just taking the old stuff and putting it in the new tank when I get it. There will be an upgrade in lights and I'll need some extra flow but otherwise the plans are staying the same. There will be a new thread started once that project gets underway.

I Ate A Cake

Oooh, I'll take your hood and stand. :happy:

Good luck with the new tank. Can't wait to see its progress.

noobofreefs

A new camera and tank! Good deal! So what's going to happen with this tank? Is it going to get closed up or are you going to use it as a QT? Or you could make this one a coral only tank with a bunch of zoas.

Sounds cool though!

NOR

SaltWaterNewb
Oooh, I'll take your hood and stand. :happy:

Good luck with the new tank. Can't wait to see its progress.

lol...I swear I am going to get some pictures for you but if you are serious I will send them to you for the cost of shipping after my other tank is up and running, that is if you don't have something already.

A new camera and tank! Good deal! So what's going to happen with this tank? Is it going to get closed up or are you going to use it as a QT? Or you could make this one a coral only tank with a bunch of zoas.

Sounds cool though!

NOR

Not sure. Maybe a small prop tank or quarantine or who knows...lol...maybe a mantis tank...oh...I like that idea :)

Archived