Pod Your Reef

Yes, another 10 gallon build.

SaltWaterNewb

I Ate A Cake

Ah, maybe. I am having a very similar setup anyway. Same lights w/ an AC110.

How much would shipping be? ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SaltWaterNewb

I would say $10 or so. They are not that heavy. What lights are you going to use. I might have 96 watts of PC lights for sell too once I get things going with the new tank. I am going to use T5 on it.

I Ate A Cake

The Retrofit 96W PC lights by Current (I think). Pretty sure it is the same as you. Quad Lamp, etc etc.

Eh, I'll think about the hood and stand. I will tell you in a day or two my decision.

singmealullaby

It's a slippery slope! :P can't wait to see how things turn out after the move to the 20. i wonder if you'll have to get some more live rock... any aquascape ideas in your head? i love the look of two separate mounds in a 20L, but it's tough to pull off.

SaltWaterNewb

I am thinking of keeping it basically the same. I might order a few pounds extra just for the critters and coralline algae but otherwise I want lots of room. The bioload is going to remain very light so I won't need the extra rock for biofiltration. The new tank is going to be 24x18x14 made from 3/8 acrylic. Staying simple with a HOB fuge made from an AC110 and a couple power heads. I will also be upgrading to T5 lighting.

SaltWaterNewb
Hey saltwaternewb! Really nice to see another West Virginian on here! What part are ya from?

Eastern panhandle, Romney.

I Ate A Cake

SWN, how tall is your canopy? I think I may DIY this since I need it up before next Saturday.

Also, the height of your stand would be nice to know. And do you have any heat problems in your tank?

SaltWaterNewb

Yeah, no way I can make or send you mine before then. New tank should be here next week but it will take me a bit to build the stand.

For the hood I used 1x6 pine and the base is 1x4. For the base I built it so the inside measurement was just a tiny bit larger than the outside measurements of the tank (measured on the plastic trim) so that it will slide down in to the base. On the long sides I ripped 1x4's down to 1x3 and attached those to the inside so that they were 1" below the top of the base. When you place the tank in to the base it will sit on the 1x3's and the plastic trim will be covered by the base. The hood is basically the same.

No heat issues at all. The top is pretty much open so I have good oxygen exchange and heat release. Water stays at a pretty solid 78-79.

I Ate A Cake

So about 5/6". Thanks.

Oh, did you convert your AC70 into a fuge? If so, did you run any lights on it during the night, or is that not needed?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
SaltWaterNewb

Been awhile but not much has changed. Added a few corals, a single head of duncan that took off and is now about 10 heads, some zoas and a few palys. Algae is for the most part done and water is stable. Here is an updated FTS. I am hoping to get the stand built for a new tank I bought and start getting it together this month. I will be transferring the contents of this tank to the new tank which is 26 gallons.

Fulltank.jpg

Paly.jpg

Zoas-1.jpg

Paly1.jpg

Duncan-1.jpg

SaltWaterNewb

I have had a couple people ask about my hood and AC70 fuge mod so I thought I would post some pictures here and direct people here to check them out. If there is any questions that are not answered by the pictures or questions about the pictures, ask away.

AC70 mod:

Use aquarium silicon and plexi-glass for the divider. It is flush with the top edge of the filter body and extends down leaving about an inch at the bottom so that the water has to flow in to the main section from the bottom so it has maximum contact with the chemi-pure and eventually cheato when I get some. The output grate should be self explanatory.

ac70.jpg

ac701.jpg

ac702.jpg

ac703.jpg

Hood:

hood.jpg

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood3.jpg

Archived