Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yes, another 10 gallon build.

SaltWaterNewb

SaltWaterNewb

Well, after several month's of posting here and reading and researching, it is time to start actually working on my own build. I have decided to go with a 10 gallon due to space constraints as well as budget limits. I have not done much so far other that build a hood and base. I have lights installed in the hood and I am waiting on the rest of my stuff before the build continues. Plans for the tank:

Equipment list:

10g All-glass tank - $10 from LFS

Sunpaq 96 watt quad light retro fitted in to the hood - $90 Dr. Foster and Smith on sale

AC 70 HOB fuge - $0 Already had

50 watt Stealth heater - $15 Dr. Foster and Smith

Korallia Nano Powerhead - $28 Dr. Foster and Smith

I have lots of base rock that will be used - $0 Already had

Shallow sand bottom, SeaChem Gray Coast - $7 Petsmart on clearance

Seachem Reef Salt mix - $15 Dr. Foster and Smith

Refractometer - $42 Dr. Foster and Smith on sale

API test kits - $15 Dr. Foster and Smith

Wood for base/hood - $14 Lowes

Total - $236 not including shipping charges.

Livestock list:

CUC will be snail only

No fish

3 porcelain crabs

1 or 2 pom pom crabs, maybe. They are undecided

2 sexy shrimp

Zoa garden

Thats about it. I have some pics of my tank and hood/base (empty) but they are at home and I am at work. I will get them on this evening.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I know there isn't much really to comment on at this point.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definitely suggest a pom-pom crab. Mine is a favorite, when he's out. He's also very brazen with the hermit crabs, and will steal pellets from them if they dare to get there before he does. Anyway, I think they're a very interesting addition to the tank. My pom-pom has never messed with corals, sexies, or snails, but I do believe he may be the reason I no longer seem to have bristle worms.

Are you planning on 'seeding' your base rock with live rock?

lakshwadeep

Everything looks good! If only all the first-time reefers would take the time to pick what livestock they're going to have and make sure everything is compatible... :)

SaltWaterNewb
I would definitely suggest a pom-pom crab. Mine is a favorite, when he's out. He's also very brazen with the hermit crabs, and will steal pellets from them if they dare to get there before he does. Anyway, I think they're a very interesting addition to the tank. My pom-pom has never messed with corals, sexies, or snails, but I do believe he may be the reason I no longer seem to have bristle worms.

Are you planning on 'seeding' your base rock with live rock?

Not sure. I was thinking about just doing the shrimp method to get the cycle and bacteria colony built up and once the tank was ready for live stock I would order a small piece of hand picked coralline covered rock to be shipped with my CUC. That way I get the coralline seeded but I am really not too worried about all the good critters being in my tank since I am going fishless and my bio-load will be pretty low with just inverts and coral.

An AC50 and a Koralia Nano should give you more than enough flow!

Im using one in a 10 gallon tank and I have it dialed down to the lowest flow setting and with a Koralia Nano and its almost more than the tank can handle without the sand turning the tank into a snow globe.

Just something you might want to reconsider...

SaltWaterNewb

Thanks for the advice. I have an AC 70 that has a broken intake tube, not the straight part but the U shaped part so that needs fixed or replaced since it won't hold suction. I also have an AC 20 I think so I can alway swap out impellers if the 70 stock it too much. The main reason I want the 110 is the extra capacity.

AC110 + Fluval Surface Skimmer. Without it you will have surface film. The skimmer adds enough restriction to cut the flow to a near perfect ammount. Koralia 1 = great I have its flow partiall diverted by liverock and my tank flows nicely.

I used to have an Allglass breand 50 watt heater and it was innacurate always. Recently picked up a 50w stealth and I love it. Fits the AC110/500 perfect. Its coated so it can even touch the plastic.

See my thread for my refgeum design.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Jeremy

SaltWaterNewb

Here's a quick picture of the tank, base and hood. It is unfinished at this point but I will be sanding and painting this week. I ordered the rest of the stuff I need except the HOB. I am going to cycle with just the power head for water movement and throw in an old one that I have lying around until I get ahold of a new filter or get mine fixed.

DSC_1103.jpg

AC110 + Fluval Surface Skimmer. Without it you will have surface film. The skimmer adds enough restriction to cut the flow to a near perfect ammount. Koralia 1 = great I have its flow partiall diverted by liverock and my tank flows nicely.

I used to have an Allglass breand 50 watt heater and it was innacurate always. Recently picked up a 50w stealth and I love it. Fits the AC110/500 perfect. Its coated so it can even touch the plastic.

See my thread for my refgeum design.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Jeremy

You posted this after I ordered so I didn't get the skimmer but I had been thinking about getting one. I wasn't sure how much it cut the flow and I was afraid that if I have a long day at work or something that the water level would fall be low the intake of the skimmer. Have you had any problems with yours? I will be getting an ATO system sometime in the next couple months because I will be leaving for MI for a week in May. Maybe I will wait until I get that before adding the skimmer.

And I did order the stealth heater so I am glad to hear that yours is working out good for you.

Here's a quick picture of the tank, base and hood. It is unfinished at this point but I will be sanding and painting this week. I ordered the rest of the stuff I need except the HOB. I am going to cycle with just the power head for water movement and throw in an old one that I have lying around until I get ahold of a new filter or get mine fixed.

DSC_1103.jpg

Great Job, The Base and hood look fantastic! you going to stain it or paint it?

SaltWaterNewb

I am painting this one since it is just cheap pine from Lowes. Maybe in the future when I have some better tools I will make a new one out of nicer wood and stain.

SaltWaterNewb

Dug my old rock out of the basement and played around with the rock scape. What do you think? Most of the pieces I have are pretty big and I am trying to not break them because I need to save them for another tank project I am hoping to start later in the summer. Don't mind the dirty glass either...lol

The rock is shown under the 96 watts of PC lights I have installed in the hood. Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts you have. Also, I have lots more rock so I can add more if you think it needs it.

DSC_1122.jpg

I wasn't sure how much it cut the flow and I was afraid that if I have a long day at work or something that the water level would fall be low the intake of the skimmer. Have you had any problems with yours?

this is the Fluval Surface skimmer that I am refering to. It attaches to the U-tube on the HOB filter and the top clear part "Floats" with your water level. There is also an adjustable intake on the bottom. You adjust the skimmer so the water line is in the middle of the top clear portion. There is no worry of flooding or dry running. The only drawback is it needs to be cleaned (but so does the normal intake of a HOB) regularly to keep it performing correctly. If the lower intake gets too clogged all that happens is it draws the top potion under the water and may cause it to bounce which will cause micro bubble issues. Adjusted properly and cleaned regularly it will keep your surface clear of film. My 110/500 does not do an adequet job of surface agitation to keep it clear. I would think too much agitation will cause bubbles also. I really like this skimmer.

Good luck

SaltWaterNewb

Well, just a quick update, I got my salt, refractometer, power head, heater, and test kit today so I have my saltwater mixing and I am finishing up the stand/hood so I will be starting the cycle tomorrow. I really looked over my base rock and cleaned it and scrub it really well and there just won't be anything there to kick off a cycle, so I am forced I guess to use the shrimp method. No big deal though. I will get more pics up as soon as I have water in the tank.

Tank back painted black:

DSC_1125.jpg

Distilled water ready to go:

DSC_1129.jpg

Goodies from Dr. Foster and Smith:

DSC_1132.jpg

Very nice, though i have heard that distiled sometimes has coper (from the coper piping used during distiling proses) BTW-the hood and base look very nice

SaltWaterNewb

Tank has sand and H2O. Rock is in place. Shrimp in the water. Cycle underway !!!!!!! Photos to follow.

kenthenanoguy

Lookin good!

I can't wait to see this one in a few months!

I really like the hood and base. Were you thinking of filling the screw holes and staining the wood? I think it would really look sharp then.

SaltWaterNewb
Lookin good!

I can't wait to see this one in a few months!

I really like the hood and base. Were you thinking of filling the screw holes and staining the wood? I think it would really look sharp then.

Thanks. Actually, on this one, just filling the holes and painting. The wood isn't really that nice.

SaltWaterNewb

First ammonia test done about 20 hours after cycle started. I will do another tonight along with a nitrite just to see.

DSC_1143.jpg

With water, no lights in the room. Still really hazy. Looks really dusty in the tank. You can see it floating all around and settling on the power head and heater. I need to get my filter up and running and throw some floss in there to polish out the dust I guess. I didn't rinse the sand because it was wet out of the bag so I didn't think I needed to.

DSC_1155.jpg

Room lights on.

DSC_1157.jpg

Closer up FTS.

DSC_1158.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Archived