Coral Vue Hydros

Which salt mix?

dwissler

I started using Oceanic and I like it. But asking people which salt is the best is like asking which bank they like the most... You can find someone to hate each and every one and someone to like each and everyone. Just pick the one that works best for you.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just switched from IO to Tropic Marin. So far i like it alot better than IO, it mixed up so nice and disolved way faster than IO.

It also didnt have that horrible salt smell when first mixed. I used to almost pass out from salt throat burn from instant ocean lol

now i dont have to cover my face with a towel while mixing anymore :)

The local petsmart started stocking oceaninc and red sea coral pro salt, so I figured I'm going to try them.

I also got the Crystal Sea Marinemix and Reef Crystals from another local petstore.

I used to use Crystal Sea Marninemix, and always get 320 ca and 9 alk.

Reef crystals does not seem to have a good quality (may just be the box I bought, so can't really generalize). The salt seems to be stuck (like humid) and hard to get out of the bag. I get 380 ca and 8 alk.

The Red Sea Coral Pro I can say is really salty. I need to use less salt to get 1.025 sg. I got 400ca (bucket says 450ca guaranteed at 1.025sg), and only 6 for alk (my fresh ro water alk is 3).

The oceanic is the one I got the best results from. The quality is excellent, easy to pour out of the bag (grains are very fine), dissolves easily and I get exactly 1.025 following the mixing instructions. I get 500ca and 8 alk.

I've read others use red sea coral pro and dose to increase alk. My choice would be one where I don't have to do any further adjustments. So from my small test, I will be using oceanic. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the other salts I have left. :)

Archived