SaltCritters.com

Which salt mix?

dwissler

I'm currently using Tropic Marin Pro. So far it rocks. I'm getting an Alk of 9-10dKH (API) and CA ranges from 420-480 ppm (API) in newly mixed batches @ 1.026, 79F. The tank seems to love it also. I have no complaints.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started with IO, but didn't like the calcium levels. So I switched to RC, it was alittle better. But after this bag, I'm going to switch to Seachem. Already bought a bag of the Seachem salt, I think it will be even better because I like to have high magnesium. And I felt Oceanic's numbers seems unnaturally high.

Raising magnesium is a PITA, and very difficult to do.

masterbuilder

About AWT and my experience.

I used them one time. Minutes before I sent my sample to them I tested my water with an API kit. CA-410, ALK-9 dKH

Got my results back as promised within the time frame they advertise. Their results where, CA -275 ALK-8.80 dKH.

I thought..WTF is wrong with my kit! So…I tested it again and got about the same readings as my 1st test. Must be my kit…right? Had the LFS test my water and they got close to my results. I bought a Salifert CA kit just in case. Came home and tested again, results were close enough to my 1st test again.

Needless to say… I thought I paid for a LABORATORY GRADE test…..guess not.

Mark

About AWT and my experience.

I used them one time. Minutes before I sent my sample to them I tested my water with an API kit. CA-410, ALK-9 dKH

Got my results back as promised within the time frame they advertise. Their results where, CA -275 ALK-8.80 dKH.

I thought..WTF is wrong with my kit! So…I tested it again and got about the same readings as my 1st test. Must be my kit…right? Had the LFS test my water and they got close to my results. I bought a Salifert CA kit just in case. Came home and tested again, results were close enough to my 1st test again.

Needless to say… I thought I paid for a LABORATORY GRADE test…..guess not.

Mark

If you would like, I can write you a program that is essentially a random number generator with upper and lower bounds. I will charge a nominal fee for the software, but imagine how much money you could get for selling lab grade tests. Unfortunately to the consumer, we didn't disclose that it was a computer lab test.

• 2 weeks later...
Why? Test / use the calculator / dose. That's it!

Have you actually tried it yourself? It takes an ungodly amount of Magnesium supplement to raise it just a little bit. Trust me, it is a PITA.

The Propagator
If you would like, I can write you a program that is essentially a random number generator with upper and lower bounds. I will charge a nominal fee for the software, but imagine how much money you could get for selling lab grade tests. Unfortunately to the consumer, we didn't disclose that it was a computer lab test.

FTW !!!!

I am onboard baby lets Ebay that bad boy !!!!

:haha:

I have used NSW (Catalina/Petco) on my 20L since I first filled it. I wouldn't reccomend doing so in any tank significantly larger than that, since it would get a bit expensive. (not to mention the pain in the ass of lugging around 5g boxes of water)

I have used tropic marin and red sea mixes in the past and had good results with them, as well.

Have you actually tried it yourself? It takes an ungodly amount of Magnesium supplement to raise it just a little bit. Trust me, it is a PITA.

Uh... yes, but especially if you're adding thoe homemade 2 part it's quite easy. I wouln't suggest you do something I don't do myself.

gettankedaquariums.com

has anyone ever tried the "2 part organic"?

looks like it takes a while to mix but if it keep unnecessary/unnatural chemicals out of my tank...

I use Oceanic, and buy it in 200g buckets. Alot of people complain about the high levels of Ca and Mg in Oceanic. but I wonder why they complain, my tank inhabitants consume these things and weekly water changes restore them to perfect levels. Wouldn't you want your 15% water change to have higher ca and mg, if your tank levels are slowly dropping?

As soon as i switched from IO to Oceanic, the coralline grew like crazy. Just look at my thread. And now the coralline is even better. I haven't tested for calcium but i am sure it is really good judging by the coral and coralline growth in my tank.

Reef Aquatics

Sorry to say Oceanic is the most unstable salt out there... There are some people over

at Reef Central that did several tests with different salt mixes and out of the 4 batches

of Oceanic Salt...they were all completely different .

Tropic Marin and Instant Ocean were both almost exact in every batch...

But Tropic Marin is by far one of the best salts out there!!!

Oceanic have great tanks...that is what they should stick with...

I have had really good success with Red Sea's Coral Pro salt. It's easy to mix with RO/DI and has consistently good calcium - I work at a LFS and we test every other bucket.

I've considered the Red Sea salt, but there have been reports of algae issues...

I find it hard to believe a salt mix can cause algae. There should be nothing to fuel any and it isn't like there is algae included in the salt. It is the users tank..

I've considered the Red Sea salt, but there have been reports of algae issues...

I've use Red Sea Pro and don't have any algea issues. I do find that it is low in Alk and Mg. Alk is around 7 Mg is around 1100-1200. I'm going to try Oceanic next.

LIke I said... I've never actually used it, but there are a lot of people over at RC that state they've had algae issues after switching to this salt. From what I understand it's collected from the ocean. This means there are algae spores right?

masterbuilder

I used Tropic Marin for over a year, worked fine...until all of a sudden I began having some problems. I don’t know if it was the salt or other things. A few other people here using TM started having similar trouble, so I decided to change. Switched to Red Sea, was ok...nothing wrong with it...just not impressed. Finally switched to Tunze, works perfectly for my tank. I was never able to discover what was wrong and everything is back like it always was. Salt?...who knows. I plan to stick with it for the foreseeable future. It’s expensive, but the difference between it and something less expensive like IO is only $30 or so a year in my small tank. If it helps my tank….then best $30 I ever spent.

My Vote – Tunze

Mark

p.s. This is a Secret, don’t tell anyone…. It doesn’t make any difference what salt you use. 100’s of successful tanks running on every brand

IO left deposits in my mixing/holding tank, I switched to Oceanic and no more deposits or residues. Plus the boost from 350 to 500+ calcium has seen my coralline algae bloom like crazy. Not to mention my corals are happier, and grow fast.

BKtomodachi
LIke I said... I've never actually used it, but there are a lot of people over at RC that state they've had algae issues after switching to this salt. From what I understand it's collected from the ocean. This means there are algae spores right?

While there may be algae spores in any salt mix derived from the ocean, that in itself is not the problem most reefers battle. If you have ever added live rock, live sand, or coral frags, you've added algae spores, guaranteed. So it isn't really about introducing a species itself (at least with microalgaes), but rather about nutrients and managing them to discourage growth. :)

lakshwadeep
While there may be algae spores in any salt mix derived from the ocean, that in itself is not the problem most reefers battle. If you have ever added live rock, live sand, or coral frags, you've added algae spores, guaranteed. So it isn't really about introducing a species itself (at least with microalgaes), but rather about nutrients and managing them to discourage growth. :)

And algae spores can enter just from the air without any live rock/sand, which is how saltwater pools can get algae.

Breakin Newz

I have used regular Tropic Marine and there Pro-Reef edition.... I switched over to Seachem Reef salt and I prefer it over the Tropic salt brand...

Archived