Innovative Marine Aquariums

Plankton's Cadlights 39g Pro Dream Tank

plankton99

Interesting. I didn't get the bulkheads or lockline with mine... I did get a pump by mistake. Looks like a Chinese no-name knock off of a maxi-jet 900...

And I find it strange that he isn't selling the Pro as anything other than a package... That doesn't make sense as it is designed to be customized.

UH

EDIT: Last night I had to call Eddie on an unrelated matter and asked him about this. His response was that so many people were ordering the tank and then having allot of questions on how to put it together and what to add to it that he decided to just sell it as a package with their sump, lights, and kit for about the same price as the Sig series.

I understand his point of view but can't say that I agree with it. The whole reason I went with the tank was that *I* got to build it out the way *I* wanted. He agreed that there were people out there who wanted to do that but he again said that so many were calling him that he just didn't think it was a good idea to sell it alone.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what size sump? 10gl? I wasnt too thrilled with the bioballs and the filterpad. I was going to install a glass sump I'll probably buy locally.

Also, there isnt a cover for the overflow? Snails, fish, etc... can go through? I see that the teeth are pretty deep which means that water sits well below the overflow top?

Moonman, There is a class cover that goes over the tank and covers the overflow. I suppose small snails can get through. Also, the teeth are deep but they (cad) modified it by attaching a small plastic plate (which you cannot see) that raises the inlet level ultimately maintaining a higher overall water level in the tank.

Sump is 9.5 gal. i will use bioballs for first 2 months then switch to live rock rubble.

i've noticed that you're tank does not have the black background? I know there's suppose to be something vinyl that attaches. does it attach on the outside or inside?

sorry so many questions.

i guess it's hard to purchase without test driving the aquarium as it's all the way on the other side of this country,

jeff

i've noticed that you're tank does not have the black background? I know there's suppose to be something vinyl that attaches. does it attach on the outside or inside?

sorry so many questions.

i guess it's hard to purchase without test driving the aquarium as it's all the way on the other side of this country,

jeff

Moonman: the i put on the vynil strips after i took the shots so yes there are black vynil strips.

Sump is 9.5 gal. i will use bioballs for first 2 months then switch to live rock rubble.

Think very hard about that before you do either. Both are big sources of nitrates especially the bioballs. So it is best not to. The best place for the LRR is in the fuge area mixed in with a 4" sand bed (if there is room as I don't remember the sump they are selling as I designed my own) some critters that eat the detritus that is going to form up on it, and some macro algae like cheato.

UH

:) Got more pics of my Cadlights 39g Pro. After a leaky bulkhead I could not figure out, I got another one and reversed the bulkhead. I had to make a modification to the rear of the stand to accommodate the hosebarb. If you order the tank from eddie you may want to have him make this mod for you as the hose comes straight down into the back side board of the stand. Here is a picture…

IMG_07921.jpg

Here is the full tank just filled with water and transferred some live rock from my Red Sea Max. Water is still cloudy from the sand I got from fijisandman on ebay. I purchased 90 lb o sand but only really needed 50 for the tank and refugium.

IMG_08011.jpg

Here is the reefkeeper 2 that keeps it all going. I don’t know how you could do reefkeeping without one of these…

IMG_08041.jpg

Here is a picture of the fuge set up. I have fiji white sand with a couple of pieces of LR, snails and a couple of hermits. Will get magroves later and add more live rock.

IMG_08071.jpg

A close up of the secret world below

IMG_08092.jpg

Here is the skimmer. This baby kicks ass. This is the best skipper I have ever seen. I pulled this much skimmage out in 2 hours, albeit mostly from the dust of the live sand. Damn! This is one hell of a skimmer.

IMG_0812.jpg

Close up of the drain outlet

IMG_0817.jpg

Okay, the part that I hide away under the ceiling of the stand. The spaghetti of electrical wires suspended by brass keyhook screws. Hey it works and keeps the wires up and away from view…

IMG_0818.jpg

This is the Red Sea Max I am selling. It is in great shape, 7 months old and I have an extra top canopy. PM me if you live in the SF bay area and are interested in buying it. I have to get rid of it quick (the wifey…)

IMG_0823.jpg

All in all, I like the Cadlights 39g pro a lot. Eddie has to work out some of the small details on the package. I kind of think of myself as the beta user of this tank, I don’t mind because I am an engineer and I like to tinker with things. I am giving eddie good feedback and hopefully he incorporates my ideas in to his designs.

Late… P99 B)

how are fans working?

the stand doesnt look like there's alot of ventilation and may cause some humidity issues.

Moonman: water temp has not gone over my set 82 degrees. when the tank water gets to that the cooling fan that blows into the refugium come on along with the stand fans (one sucks in air and the other blows it out). Just cycling the tank now so will let you all know how things go. One thing i noticed is that with the bottom refugium, the water evaporates like a crazy.

Nice! I love the fact that you modded the stand like a tricked-out computer case. :)

oh wow....makes me want to get fans myself.....as for set up. looks good fellow nano-reefer....maybe you can put in a false/drop ceiling help hide wires ?

oh wow....makes me want to get fans myself.....as for set up. looks good fellow nano-reefer....maybe you can put in a false/drop ceiling help hide wires ?

Alex, do you have a picture of a false drop ceiling, i am not sure what you mean...

Plankton, it looks awesome!

I am getting ready to order mine shortly! Do you have any new updates or suggestions?

Post some more pictures too when you have a chance...

Thanks!

Jeremy

Plankton, it looks awesome!

I am getting ready to order mine shortly! Do you have any new updates or suggestions?

Post some more pictures too when you have a chance...

Thanks!

Jeremy

jg210302: when you speak with eddie, make sure he cuts an extra space in te back fo the stand to accomodate the drain down-spout. The first bulkhead i got required you to ticghten the locknut from the inside, this is very difficult to do, nut should be tightened from the bottom of the tank. because of this i had to cut a but of a hole to accomodate the hosebarb for the drain. Also, make sure he designs the refugium like mine in the picture above in this thread. Other then that it is a BEAUTIFUL tank.

I am beginning to beleive that i may not need a chiller for the summer months. this will be great! but becuase of the fan that blows on the water in the refugium, you will get some serious evaopratino. Right now with no fan on i have to fill 1/2 gal every day, so you might want to invest in an auto top off system. I got the JBJ with an auqua lifter pump. I will psot pics when i am done setting it up.

Good luck my friend and shoot me a pm message if you have any questions. -p99

Here my some latest pics of my tank taken today. Water is clearing up, cycle algae is starting to grow. A couple more days and I will add livestock and then, drum roll…… my first SPS coral. Wish me luck!

Here is a side view of my tank

IMG_0832.jpg

Here is a front view. I glued some flat rocks to a big rock on the left to have some shelves to place the SPS I am going to get. I had 2 Koralia 1’s but they seemed a bit too weak, so I returned those and got 2 Koralia 2’s at 600 gph (I think).

IMG_0839.jpg

Here is product shot of the Koralia in action. Gotta love how the live rock clears up the water fast. If I had some sps and other livestock in the background, this could be a cover shot for Hydor (ok, maybe not).

IMG_0828.jpg

Let me know if anyone tires of my pics and I’ll stop. It is just fun to share. -P99

nice pictures. keep them coming.

btw, i like the shelving you've done on your rocks. my pro was shipped yesterday so looking forward to building mine as well.

Great pictures man!! I can't wait to get mine!!

Keep up the updates and pictures!!

Moonman and jg210302: can't wait to see your tank build threads! It is nice when things you buy actually work, i had some stumlbles at first but the Cad 39g pro "works as advertised"

Oceanic 30g

Beautiful tank!

I am buying a new tank and I am stuck on the RSM (I have a kid and a cat), the cadlights 39, and the cadlights 22.

Does it bother you that the wires hang off the left side like that?

Beautiful tank!

I am buying a new tank and I am stuck on the RSM (I have a kid and a cat), the cadlights 39, and the cadlights 22.

Does it bother you that the wires hang off the left side like that?

That is the next project for this weekend. I am going to zip tie the wires and then silicone a wire-managment system with hooks on the backside of the tank. I think i can make it look neat.

Oceanic 30g

I was set on the RSM, but the 22g and 39g cadlights look soo nice. I am really torn now. Ughhhhh! That 39 is BIG!

masterbuilder

I have been wary of the CAD tanks based on seeing some old ones and had planned on the Finnex. All the talk of how much improved the CAD 39 was, I had changed my mind and decided on the PRO

so....

Let me make SURE I have this right. You can only get the PRO as a package now? I hope not, I was about to order one in a week or so, but not as a package. I already have the light setup I want to use.

I have been wary of the CAD tanks based on seeing some old ones and had planned on the Finnex. All the talk of how much improved the CAD 39 was, I had changed my mind and decided on the PRO

so....

Let me make SURE I have this right. You can only get the PRO as a package now? I hope not, I was about to order one in a week or so, but not as a package. I already have the light setup I want to use.

The package is quite good and i recommend it. I think he will knock off $200 for not including the light. I do like the light a lot, a little heavy but works as advertised.

PRO is only sold as a package. I believe I was one of the last to get the PRO tank only. I was able to get it since their sites (CADLIGHTS/OceanReeflections) still had it separately. But looking at P99's build, you can see it being a very convenient package.

P99: I'm still weary of a humidity issue if I dont ventilate the stand. maybe i'll have to use your fan idea.

I'm looking into getting a zeroedge lamptree to suspend my lights. Actually, really looking for a more affordable alternative, perhaps a DIY.

Masterbuilder: I went with the 39gl CAD because it was the largest "nano" between Finnex/CAD/Solana.

Jeff

Archived