Innovative Marine Aquariums

Plankton's Cadlights 39g Pro Dream Tank

plankton99

This is my dream system … I have a red sea max that I am selling and went with the Cadlights 39g Pro system with refugium. I will add pictures as I progress but I prettry much bought the whole set up that comes with the AIO signature but got the pro with refugium. Eddie at cadlights helped me put the package together. The tank is amazing and the solid cherry wood stand is top quality. Wood is great, hardware that puts it together is cheap. Anyhoo, got it built and plan on taking pics as I progress.

Plans:

39g tank with 9.5g refugium. Cadlights 150 hqi light w 2 24 actinics, reefkeeper2 to control temp and cooling. I added the two computer fans on each side of the stand to keep air coming in and help cool the unit. There will also be a cooling fan that blows directly onto the water in the sump and all 3 fans will be set to come on at 82 degrees and off at 80 degrees during the summer months. I had a current prime chiller with the red sea max, I am hoping that I can do without it with this cooling set up. In the summer days it can get up to 85-90 degrees in the house, so I might be cutting it close.

Let me know what you think of my dream tank!

Here is my box with the refugium

IMG_0750.jpg

Built the solid cherry wood stand and cut two 120mm holes on each side for 2 blue led computer fans.

IMG_0755.jpg

Vacuuming out the sawdust after cutting

IMG_0753.jpg

bought a 2 blue LED computer fans and will power them with a 12v ad adapter. will run off off Reefkeeper 2 temperature controlled

IMG_0757.jpg

Here is the mounted fan from the inside

IMG_0760.jpg

Here is the mounted fan from the outside

IMG_0759.jpg

Here it is with the grill placed on it. Pretty custom looking huh?

IMG_0762.jpg

Both fans mounted

IMG_0763.jpg

With tank on and fans on

IMG_0764.jpg

Side view with grill and fan on

IMG_0771.jpg

Here is my sump plumbing, little cramped in there but it all fits.

IMG_0772.jpg

Close up of the sump drain going through cabinet

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

top view of sump and plumbing, it is a tight fit and will hold UV lamp and visitherm heater

IMG_0773.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Sweet!

Quick question, did you drill the holes in the overflow for your lockline or are they stock? If you drilled them how did you do it? Mine should be coming in this week sometime depending on the shaved apes over at DHL.

Thanks!

UH

Wow! Sweet!

Quick question, did you drill the holes in the overflow for your lockline or are they stock? If you drilled them how did you do it? Mine should be coming in this week sometime depending on the shaved apes over at DHL.

Thanks!

UH

i am not sure what you are asking... but the tank ahd two drilled holes at the bottom of the tank in the black overflow area. one hole is bigger for the drain and a small hole for the return. hope that answers you question.

Sorry. My bad. When I look at your photo of the overflow box from the back where you have the drain and return pipes I see that you have the return line coming up to a T connector that branches out to two 90' elbows that connect to two bulkheads(?) for your lock line to connect to. What I wanted to know was are there holes in the overflow box for those connectors already or did you drill them yourself?

Also a quick thought. You may want to make sure you can clean those tubes easily as anything that is clear and exposed to light will grow algae on it and you may want to replace that pvc T with a Y barb as a T does cut back on your flow.

UH

Yes there are pre-drilled holes in the overflow box and those connect to the directional flows tubes. I spoke to eddie on the ybarb, he said that he tried that and it takes up too much space. Also i will have 2 hydor Koralia 1s in the tank so i think i will have enough overall flow. You must be excited to get yours!

Yes there are pre-drilled holes in the overflow box and those connect to the directional flows tubes. I spoke to eddie on the ybarb, he said that he tried that and it takes up too much space. Also i will have 2 hydor Koralia 1s in the tank so i think i will have enough overall flow. You must be excited to get yours!

Thank you sir! I am very excited! Can I beg a favor of you? Would you mind measuring the depth of the stand from the inside back wall to the back of a closed door? I am doing a custom sump design and am told that it is 15 3/4" but since you have the pro stand and the stand that was measured was the Sig stand I want to be absolutely 100% sure...

i just found this tank yesterday. my wife gave the ok to buy one .im upgrading from the biocube14 i have and the nanocube 12.waiting for tax returns 2 weeks i hope.keep pics comming. also wondering what skimmer are you going to use ?

2nd Nature's question: The skimmer comes with the package cadlights put together. it is a pin-wheel skimmer and i hear it is pretty good.

dopamine's question: Check out the Reefkeeper2. it controlls temp, ph, lights, wavemaker for powerheads etc. It is well worth the $270 investment. I will have the fans programmed to come on when the tank temp is 82 and shut off after it cools below 80 degrees.

Thank you sir! I am very excited! Can I beg a favor of you? Would you mind measuring the depth of the stand from the inside back wall to the back of a closed door? I am doing a custom sump design and am told that it is 15 3/4" but since you have the pro stand and the stand that was measured was the Sig stand I want to be absolutely 100% sure...

Urchinhead: I just measured the stand with the door on and it is 15 inches. i would not build anything beyond that. Why not ask eddie to build you a sump per your specifications based on the one they sell at cadlights. maybe worth a discussion with eddie.

Urchinhead: I just measured the stand with the door on and it is 15 inches. i would not build anything beyond that. Why not ask eddie to build you a sump per your specifications based on the one they sell at cadlights. maybe worth a discussion with eddie.

Plankton,

Thank you.

I did have that conversation with Eddie and decided to opt for another manufacturer here as I wanted an acrylic not glass tank and have unusual sizing requirements that I don't think Eddie would be able to do.

UH

i just talked to eddie he put together a nice package price.cant wait to start my new tank. i wanted less then 55 and this is perfect. im so glad i didnt buy the nanocube hqi

Do u mind if i steal ur comp fan idea? I just dont wanna anger anyone in this forum.

Go ahead and use the computer fan idea all you want. That's why i posted the pics. I get a lot from this site and it is my way of giving back. Let me know how it goes.

fastandsneaky
Go ahead and use the computer fan idea all you want. That's why i posted the pics. I get a lot from this site and it is my way of giving back. Let me know how it goes.

Hey thanx a lot but only question is, where did u get that adapter?

2nd Nature's question: The skimmer comes with the package cadlights put together. it is a pin-wheel skimmer and i hear it is pretty good.

dopamine's question: Check out the Reefkeeper2. it controlls temp, ph, lights, wavemaker for powerheads etc. It is well worth the $270 investment. I will have the fans programmed to come on when the tank temp is 82 and shut off after it cools below 80 degrees.

Spend the extra $80 or so you would spend on a JBJ ATO system and go with an Aquacontroller III. It has the ability to handle sensors like float and the like so you can also do ATO and monitor for potential overflow/underflow so you don't flood your floor or burn your pump.

i got the adapter from Fry's. Or you probably could find one at Radio Shack. Just make sure it has a 12v setting because PC case fans mostly are 12v. If you have a PC untusiast type store you can find the fan there or newegg.com. I used two old RCA cables (male set and female set) and spliced it and soldered it to use as a quick connect plug. Make sure you test the plarity before soldering it up. Good luck.

I've been reading your thread and I'm going to order the 39gl Pro tomorrow. Does the plumbing inside the overflow come with the tank? (Locline, T for the return)

Furthermore, CAD will not sell the Pro tank separately anymore. In a couple weeks, the PRO will be sold as a package similar to the Signature series.

Jeff

anything you would recommend me purchasing with the tank before I make the plunge?

Thanks in advance!

I've been reading your thread and I'm going to order the 39gl Pro tomorrow. Does the plumbing inside the overflow come with the tank? (Locline, T for the return)

Furthermore, CAD will not sell the Pro tank separately anymore. In a couple weeks, the PRO will be sold as a package similar to the Signature series.

Jeff

anything you would recommend me purchasing with the tank before I make the plunge?

Thanks in advance!

Moonman: all the plumbing inside the tank comes with the tank including lockline etc. Eddie redisgned the sump/fuge for me and is shipping the new version. when it comes i will take some pics. This is a very nice tank and i am sure you will like it.

what size sump? 10gl? I wasnt too thrilled with the bioballs and the filterpad. I was going to install a glass sump I'll probably buy locally.

Also, there isnt a cover for the overflow? Snails, fish, etc... can go through? I see that the teeth are pretty deep which means that water sits well below the overflow top?

Archived