Cultivated Reef

Junkitu's Monti House Tank Thread

junkitu

Nice looking tank. I hope mine turns out half as great as yours did.

I was wondering about your lights. How do you like the outer orbit? I was planning on getting the 48" 2x250s for my 55g.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting everyone! I'm glad you like the new tank.

Your tank looks great as usual, but I've got a quick question. I know that you've got a sunburst anthias, and i got one a few days ago and he's doing great, he loves cyclopeeze and seems to accept PE mysis. Is there any other foods i should try that your's like Junkitu?

I've always wanted a sunburst and couldn't resist getting one once my 55g was set up. She was my first fish in the new tank and I've had her for over 3 months. Mine also likes to eat frozen spirulina loaded brine shrimp and Spectrum pellets.

Nice looking tank. I hope mine turns out half as great as yours did.

I was wondering about your lights. How do you like the outer orbit? I was planning on getting the 48" 2x250s for my 55g.

I really like the outer orbit. I was looking for something with t5 actinics and a 250w MH bulb and it fit the build. I swapped out the stock 10K bulb for a 20K but that's personal preference. The only downside was that CurrentUSA had to send me 2 replacement ballasts before I got one that worked properly but the one I have now has been running fine. HTH.

Nick's Reef
Thanks for posting everyone! I'm glad you like the new tank.

I've always wanted a sunburst and couldn't resist getting one once my 55g was set up. She was my first fish in the new tank and I've had her for over 3 months. Mine also likes to eat frozen spirulina loaded brine shrimp and Spectrum pellets.

Thanks i got mine to eat hikari spirulina brine yesterday. So hopefully soon he'll eat NLS pellets.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with the positioning of the two vortechs to get the best flow pattern and least sand disturbance combination. I think I've got it now. Here are some new pictures.

A couple shots of the cove

Covev20608.jpg

Covev10608.jpg

Zoa garden

ZoaGarden0608.jpg

Rose polyped cap

RosePolypCap0608.jpg

Purple rimmed paly

Zoa0608.jpg

FTS

FTS0608.jpg

AdriftQuasar

:wub:

I love it so much I'm on the verge of an anxiety attack. It's so beautiful, it's scary!

• 2 weeks later...

I screwed up when I was tuning the flow of the two vortech's together. Unknowingly, I left the master pump flow level too low and as a result I'm now battling a cyano outbreak. I've cranked the flow back up, suctioned the red slime out and performed 10g water changes for several days in a row and the tank looks like it's on the comeback. Hopefully, it doesn't linger. Coral looks great and is still growing but the sand has areas that look like crap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WOW! Think nice is not enough to describe this tank. But just can't think of any other words.

Again, is really a very nice nano! :happy:

Not quite a nano at 55g plus sump but thanks for the compliment :)

Please put me on the list for frags of those monti's when your ready to frag. Love the stuff you got in htere now. I'm just now starting to get a nice monti collection going thanks to glennr1978 and my fave not so local reefshop about 125 miles up the road. It's worth every mile when I'm able to score a huge chunk of superman montipora for the price of a small frag. I remeber seeing a everse pokerstar in your other thread, I haven't been able to find that one anywhere.

thread bump for junkitu!

sbcaes: you're going to have to get in line for the yellow ric. i've been asking him for it for over a year now...

PICTURE UPDATE PLEASE

• 3 weeks later...
thread bump for junkitu!

sbcaes: you're going to have to get in line for the yellow ric. i've been asking him for it for over a year now...

PICTURE UPDATE PLEASE

Thanks for the bump Dan! Not much has changed with my tank. The montis, especially the capricornis, are growing really well. The encrusting and digitata montis are also showing some good growth. The millis aren't faring as well but I'm hopeful that they'll start to thrive more as my tank matures.

Here's an updated FTS

OctoberFTS.jpg

Archived