Pod Your Reef

Crocea Clem Problem. PLEASE HELP!

Ocho Cinco

I have a some what new Crocea Clam, maybe 3 weeks old of more. The second day after I got it, it attached it self to a rock in the middle of the tank I placed it on (in the middle of tank). That next morning I noticed it jumped off. I would keep placing it there and it just kepd jumping off. So finally I hust said forget it, it can stay on the bottom. I then soon noticed it kept declining as in not opening as much and the mouth was shut partically or totally closed. I don't know what wrong. I have a 150 watt halide (1 year old, I will replace it Monday if my LFS gets it in), I do water changes ever week, all params look good and target freed it phyto plankton twice a week. I'm afraifd the foot could be damaged somehow. Does anyone have any experences similar to this or just know something that could be wrog? :huh: I will post pictures of it tonight including one of the foot. Thanks!!! :D:D:D:D

You don't need to target feed clams.

Stick the clam in a spot that's higher up (if you don't think it's getting enough light) where it won't be able to jump or fall down as easily.

I don't know if it getting enough light or not. I just thought that if it's higher it would for sure get enough light. It's a 24 Gallon aquapod with 150 halide, on the bottom should be enough.?

The first picture is of the clam open. It actually looks pretty good but still not what it used to. Also take a look at that brown spot near the middle of it. I have no idea what that is. The 2nd picture is of the foot. I'm not sure if you can tell anything from it or not but there it is. When I picked it up there was substrate attached to it. I quess thats good, right?

Heres the foot, I couldn't upload both at the same time.

post-33576-1202607425_thumb.jpg

post-33576-1202607510_thumb.jpg

your clam looks fine to me. try putting it higher at a different spot, or just leave it where it is for a while. i saw that my clam like to be on sand much more than rocks though.

Well I think my clam is dieing. The inverts are climbing on him and he is fully closed. I also realized my light is a 70 watt not a 150 watt. Is that still enough for a clam? My params are good. Does anyone know what might have killed him? He looked fine yesterday. :angry::huh:

• 9 months later...
Well I think my clam is dieing. The inverts are climbing on him and he is fully closed. I also realized my light is a 70 watt not a 150 watt. Is that still enough for a clam? My params are good. Does anyone know what might have killed him? He looked fine yesterday. :angry::huh:

Hey Ocho,

My only guess to what killed him would be lack of light and maybe stress from never getting a footing? He looked quite healthy in the pic you posted earlier.

I have my crocea under a 70 watt on the highest rock in my tank (about 3-4 inches below water). Have had it since May '08 and it is meaty and healthy as can be. I never target feed or do any extra supplementation except for a capful of calcium (I have IO which has a low base calcium from my tests) with every weekly 1-2 gallon water change. Sorry for the loss :/

man this thread has been here a while...

Archived